Longwoods 'tactical' event

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006
      Longwoods was indeed a historical battle. It was fought on March 4th,
      1814 along the Longwoods Road (#2 highway) near Wardsville.
      Perhaps not of the magnitiude of Lundy's Lane, but no less ferocious for
      the men who were there. The casualty rate at Lundy's Lane was approximately
      29%. At Longwoods, there were 67 casualties out of 236 regulars, militia
      and natives (28%).
      It was worse for the regulars. 58 casualites out of 150 which is 39%!
      I admit that the Longwoods re-enactment is not held on the correct week
      end and not on original land. However, I doubt few others would join us in
      March, and the original property is private farm land.
      The Sunday re-enactment is not just a 'tactical'. We try to copy the
      battle within limitations which means allowing people to participate who
      were never at Longwoods (navy and artillery). The Saturday battle is a
      'tactical demonstration', not representing any particular battle. But we
      were toying with the idea of Waterloo.........

      Mark Dickerson

      PS: At Juno beach on D-Day 21,400 men landed, there were 1,200
      casualties. (5%)

      > Hmmm.... Longwoods is a "tactical" event, is it not? Not specifically
      > modelled on a historic battle?
    • Dale Kidd
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2006
        I stand corrected. Thanks for the enlightenment.

        I'm not too sure how well we could do a Waterloo simulation... we're
        usually short of the complements we need to even do the actual
        Battle of Longwoods justice! Instead of a tactical simulation, I'm
        afraid we'd probably just end up looking pathetic. Perhaps a flat-
        out tactical skirmish would be more adviseable - something with
        judges, like the tactical at Baccus Mills last year. Start off the
        season with some fun.

        ~Dale

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
        wrote:

        > Longwoods was indeed a historical battle. It was fought on
        March 4th,
        > 1814 along the Longwoods Road (#2 highway) near Wardsville.
        > Perhaps not of the magnitiude of Lundy's Lane, but no less
        ferocious for
        > the men who were there. The casualty rate at Lundy's Lane was
        approximately
        > 29%. At Longwoods, there were 67 casualties out of 236 regulars,
        militia
        > and natives (28%).
        > It was worse for the regulars. 58 casualites out of 150 which is
        39%!
        > I admit that the Longwoods re-enactment is not held on the
        correct week
        > end and not on original land. However, I doubt few others would
        join us in
        > March, and the original property is private farm land.
        > The Sunday re-enactment is not just a 'tactical'. We try to
        copy the
        > battle within limitations which means allowing people to
        participate who
        > were never at Longwoods (navy and artillery). The Saturday battle
        is a
        > 'tactical demonstration', not representing any particular battle.
        But we
        > were toying with the idea of Waterloo.........
        >
        > Mark Dickerson
        >
        > PS: At Juno beach on D-Day 21,400 men landed, there were 1,200
        > casualties. (5%)
        >

        > > Hmmm.... Longwoods is a "tactical" event, is it not? Not
        specifically
        > > modelled on a historic battle?

      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2006
          Actually the casualty rate is lower than that for the British. It was only
          24%. (876 out of 3640)
          The brunt of the casualties being from the 41st Reg't (62%) and the 89th
          Reg't (60%) The Scots suffered 30%, but I suspect that the 3 companies
          under Morrison suffered more casualties then the 7 companies under Gordon.
          I wish there was a break down between Brigades.

          Kevin
          89th Reg't