Re: T.G. Simons

  • bdemajor1812
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2006
      > That Simons was a 'government spy' is evident from the fact that
      he wrote the report of the dinner, which was turned into an
      affidavit and sworn in the presence of Donald Cameron, JP., then
      passed on to the authorities.

      Ray, I didn't take your comments to reflect in any way on Simons'
      military career.

      It was the use of "spy" that I questioned. First, whether his
      contemporaries ever refered to him as such.

      Second, "spy" make me think of somebody who had a prior/ongoing
      relationship with the government to actively report on any
      suspicious conversations or activites. Perhaps doing so for pay.

      Was Simon in such a position and doing his "job"? Or was this more
      of a case of "snitching" on his own time? It is possible he might
      have been unofficially encouraged to do so; or did the authorities
      just think, "There he goes again...."

      Jason