Re: Corporals

  • Chris McKay
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2006
      Dave,
      I've been asked this question before and at best I can speculate.
      The 1802 regs that I've quoted are only for Infantry Regiments (and
      Foot Guards). It would suggest, therefore, that other branches of the
      service have different rank badges. For example, I've been told that
      the Royal Artillery had a bombardier rank that wore one stripe, though
      I would ask any RA experts on this list to confirm that. The reason,
      therefore, would be to esure that a sergeant in the infantry wears the
      same number of stripes as a sergeant in the artillery, cavalry, etc.
      In addition, I believe other countries used the single stripe to
      denote rank in their armies. This could be a way to make the ranks
      easier to compare across allied armies, but I think the first reason
      is more compelling.
      Incidentally, I believe that Lance Corporals did exist, but they did
      not have any distinguishing badges, as you say.

      Chris McKay