Memorial Gathering for Bev Nichol at Longwoods

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2006
      Greetings, all --

      Please join the members of the King's Company (10th Royal Veterans) for
      a gathering in memory of Bev Nichol at approximately 5:45 pm on
      Saturday, May 6th, at approximately 5:45 pm, at Longwoods, just outside
      the large cabin near Bev's traditional spot on the Row. At that time,
      people are encouraged to offer their brief remembrances of Bev -- other
      suggestions include a prayer by Father Nick and perhaps the singing of a
      Scottish song or so (as Steve Bourne put it to me, "Our Bev was ever the
      Scot!"). If you have other suggestions of things that you think might
      make a nice addition to the remembrance, please forward them to me
      (off-list, for those of you reading this on a list), and I will ensure
      that they are passed along to Steve and the rest of the Company. The
      Vets will round things off with a three musket salute.

      As you'll no doubt recall, it was with both shock and awe that we saw
      Bev roll into Longwoods last year and set up. No more than 10 days out
      of the hospital, and less than six months after taking such heavy damage
      falling down the stairs, there he was, just as ever, hauling Rubbermaid
      tubs hither and yon and burying not only his tables but his entire
      marquee with all of those assorted and somewhat incredible bibs and bobs
      that we all came to associate with his shop. As it turned out, that was
      Bev's last event, and we felt that it was a fitting tribute that we hold
      a remembrance for him in one of the places where he was happiest --
      among friends, under canvas, out on the open road.

      We hope that you'll join us.

      Best regards,
      -- Sioux