Re: 1814 Niagara

  • mccombs98
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 12, 2006
      What went wrong in Niagara 1814?

      It depends on what level you want to know. Strategically, or
      Tactically?

      Tactically, I would agree with positions other have stated, as each has
      its own defensible argument. However, strategically, it was the ever
      changing control of Lake Ontario by the respective navies.
      After Chippewa, General Brown had marched up to Fort George, expecting
      to see the US Navy laying off the shore. The British had already wisely
      retreated to 20 mile creek to reorganize.
      Gen Brown needed a secure supply line and rear to advance towards
      Burlington and push the British back. Without the arrival of USN
      Commodore Chauncey, Gen Brown had little option but to fall back.
      The rest is history.
      Regards
      Murray