Re: Ice Houses?

  • mccombs98
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
      Hi Angela,
      Thank you for your expanded insight.
      When I started building my alternate cooler, my intention was only to
      make a box that looked more period correct and still keep my beer cold.
      I quickly realized that the materials I used were avaialable to our
      ancestors of the time. Why couldn't they build such a portable cooler?
      Of course this devolved into the question of "why not?"!

      I've enjoyed this expanded discussion as it illuminated a topic that
      I've not come across in historical books, or record thus far.
      It would seem by the posts received, that ice houses were of a necesary
      primary concern during our era (and before), and even planned on a
      grand scale (thanks Ray), not to mention "ice cream" as being a most
      coveted luxury of their time (Thanks Tim).
      To all others who contributed, I thank you too!
      Your Most Humble Serv't
      Murray