Re: Ice Houses?

  • mccombs98
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 9:02 AM
      Thanks Ray,
      I'd love to see the icehouse picture and its design.
      I've posted a picture of my portable ice box in the photo section under
      Campaign boxes. It has a tin liner and is insulated (though by modern
      out of sight material). The handles were originally to be rope and
      becket, but for now are cast iron.
      Just by chance it will hold a 12 pack of beer:) I will agument cooling
      with a collapsable ice bag inside.
      Regards
      Murray

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4 12:04 PM
        In a message dated 04/04/2006 10:44:30 Central Standard Time,
        macomb@... writes:

        Would anyone know of primary reference for "ice houses" during our
        period of reenactment?

        Dating from very slightly later but I mention it because I personaly
        inspected it, there is a fine ice house at Stratfield Saye the home of the Duke of
        Wellington. It is brick lined and built underground near the lake. During the
        winter ice was cut from the lake and stored for use during the summer.

      • Susan Spencer
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4 2:36 PM
          Earlier than our period, but on this side of the pond, there is an ice
          house at the Fortress of Louisbourg (a reconstruction of course). It is
          a round stone building some 20 ft in diameter, sunk deep into the ground
          with only a foot or two of wall showing above ground level. It has a
          steep conical roof made of wood, which, if memory serves correctly, is
          insulated with straw.

          -- Sioux
        • Lalozon
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5 7:59 AM
            From: "Angela Gottfred" <agottfre@...>

            Ice houses (also called "glaciers") were often part of fur posts across
            Western Canada during this time period.
            "As there was now plenty of shore ice of sufficient thickness, we made a
            Glacier for frozen meat.

            Angela

            Help me out here ?!?!

            Ice House: a building used to store ice (Eastern North America and UK)

            Glacier: a building made of ice (North Western North America)

            I believe the original question was about "Ice House" a building used to
            store ice

            Yrs.,
            L2 ~ AdC
            Crown Forces
            Canada
            ==========
          • Angela Gottfred
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5 3:44 PM
              Ice houses (also called "glaciers") were often part of fur posts across Western
              Canada during this time period.

              "As there was now plenty of shore ice of sufficient thickness, we made a Glacier
              for frozen meat. This is a square of about twelve feet, the bottom and sides
              lined with ice; in this we placed one hundred and sixty Thighs and shoulders of
              Red Deer [elk], and forty-seven thighs of Antelopes; this is necessary, for as
              soon as the fine weather comes on, the Deer of all species leave the low lands,
              and retire for fresh grass and shelter...In these meat glaciers, a layer of Meat
              is laid on the ice, and then a layer of ice, and thus continued; when the warm
              water comes on, it is covered with fine branches of the pine, the ice is found
              so much thawed that the pieces are joined together, the meat is also thawed, but
              remains very sound, though [it] has lost it's juice and is dry eating. [Freezer
              burn!] I have even seen the meat covered with a kind of moss but not in the
              least tainted."
              (David Thompson, _Narrative_, 290)

              When there was "fine thawing weather" at Edmonton House, the men put "snow &
              water in the cellar to keep the meat froze". Feb 6, 1797 (Sutherland, 84)

              "Filled my Ice house, 50 Sleigh loads of Ice and 400 Kegs of Water." 12 Mar
              1804, Pembina R. post (on Manitoba/N. Dakota border) Alexander Henry the Younger
              (Gough, 1:155)

              "Got Snow, Ice, and 23 large kettles full of water thrown into the Ice House --
              " 10 Mar 1808, Fort of the Forks (near Peace River, Alberta) (L. Keith, 331)

              Your humble & obedient servant,
              Angela Gottfred
            • mccombs98
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5 5:21 PM
                Hi Angela,
                Thank you for your expanded insight.
                When I started building my alternate cooler, my intention was only to
                make a box that looked more period correct and still keep my beer cold.
                I quickly realized that the materials I used were avaialable to our
                ancestors of the time. Why couldn't they build such a portable cooler?
                Of course this devolved into the question of "why not?"!

                I've enjoyed this expanded discussion as it illuminated a topic that
                I've not come across in historical books, or record thus far.
                It would seem by the posts received, that ice houses were of a necesary
                primary concern during our era (and before), and even planned on a
                grand scale (thanks Ray), not to mention "ice cream" as being a most
                coveted luxury of their time (Thanks Tim).
                To all others who contributed, I thank you too!
                Your Most Humble Serv't
                Murray

                "Angela Gottfred" <agottfre@...> wrote:

                > Dear L2,
                >
                > I believe the original question was about ice houses in relation to the
                > availability of ice; and I described ice houses in the fur trade as an example
                > of just how widespread they were at that time.
                >
                > I've double-checked the _Dictionary of Canadianisms on Historical Principles_,
                > and I did get my terminology slightly mixed; the term "hangard" was often used
                > for an ice house; a "glacier" was a pit filled with ice and used to preserve
                > food. Both structures were used in the fur trade.
                >
                > I've seen many glaciers in the Rockies, but "glacier" meaning "a building built
                > from ice" is completely new to me.
                >
                > Your humble & obedient servant,
                > Angela Gottfred

              • Angela Gottfred