Re: [WarOf1812] Help with research paper

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
      Quite right Craig, and thank you for your quick and succinct reply.
      Otherwise I might have responded with something along the lines of, "My
      direct ancestors got the hell out of NC long ago, and those distant relations still
      there are nothing but inbred hillbillies", which could be ascribed as a form
      of name calling, and adds nothing to the discussion.
      Or -- perhaps I could have used a form of witticism such as, "Far And
      Rejoiceful from BoonieNC", is the actual meaning of the term "FARB".
      Which might then take one to consult the rebuttal wit Cyrano de Bergerac uses
      to not only humiliate (with words) but also defeat (with swords) the imbecile
      whose only mundane insult to Cyrano is, "You have a large nose"...from the
      play by Edmond Rostand ("I fling you aslant, asprawl, Then as I end the refrain,
      thrust Home!")
      But, Tim has already defended himself quite well with 33 years of reenacting
      experience, which is enough of a thrust home on this board.

      Regarding this all in a last scrutiny... Re; "YOUR AN IDIOT" --
      The term should be, "YOU'RE" - which is the contraction of the phrase, "YOU
      ARE" rather than the possessive adjective, "Your".
      Only an idiot would make such a mistake....
      But then, that would be name calling...and "Far Be It From Me" to do such a
      thing...

      In a message dated 1/04/2006 8:51:20 AM, sgtwarner@... writes:
      > There's no call for name calling Chadd...
      >   Craig Williams
      >
      > >From: Chadd Vail <revwar752000@...>
      > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Help with research paper
      > >Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 02:29:02 -0800 (PST)
      > >
      > >amen Americans outnumbering the Britts, now thats something hard to sink
      > >in, to my knowledge the British have always out number the American Army up
      > >until the French Arrive, but I have to admit we did have some help before
      > >the Frech arrived with the Native Indians and the Spanish General De Galvez
      > >I believe it was who was helping us in the West. as for what this gentlemen
      > >said about being a farb well again I have to agree Your AN IDIOT Tim do
      > >your self a favor and pick up a book called Reenactors for Dumbies I think
      > >it might help, describe the real term of Farb.
      > >   Chadd M. Vail
      > >   Sgt. 69th NC Infantry
      > >   ACW Reenactor
      >
      > >Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:
      > >   Hi Tim,
      > >You think he was being polite?
      > >Craig
      >
      > >On 31-Mar-06, at 11:51 PM, BritcomHMP@... wrote:
      > > > In a message dated 31/03/2006 20:21:47 Central Standard Time,
      > > > sgtwarner@... writes:
      > > > This one  goes back a long way to the early days of AWI and US civil
      > > > war  reenacting. It is actually an abbreviation of, "far be it from me
      > > > but you are an a**hole."
      >
      > > > I have no idea how accurate this is but in the early 70s back in
      > > > England I
      > > > had a visit from a re-enactor from the 10th Foot in the US. He told
      > > > me that
      > > > 'farb' was an acronym from a term that was used when they allowed
      > > > people who
      > > > were not accurate make up British numbers as they were usualy out
      > > > numbered by  '
      > > > Americans', he said it sood for 'Fairly Accurate, Representing
      > > > British'
      > > > Tim

      Lt Col. B, CO 93rd, CO World Wide Highland Brigade, Senior Crown Forces
      Officer Western North America
      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com