Re: Historical Authenticity? Sailors and Canteens?

  • Patrick Schifferdecker
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2006
      I would suggest willow as an alternate. I've found two willow
      covered bottles associated with the Royal Navy. What I found most
      interesting was that while they had many similarities they are
      separated by 250-300 years.
      Cheers,
      Patrick

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Peter Monahan <petemonahan@...>
      wrote:

      > I would suggest that a period looking bottle - check an antiques
      book for proper shape - covered in leather would be both HA enough
      for all but the thread counters, nicve to look at and reasonably
      durable. Mr. Lazon has/had one I quite liked!

      > I'll even provide the leather and/or labour for anyone interested.
      >
      > Peter monahan
      > From: "mccombs98" <macomb@...>
      > Date: 2006/03/31 Fri PM 07:18:09 EST
      > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Historical Authenticity? Sailors and
      Canteens?

      > A glass or plastic properly shaped bottle wrapped in leather works
      well
      > for me. The water remains fresh and cool for quite a long time.
      > Murray
      >

      > "Patrick Schifferdecker" <boldbritishhero@> wrote:
      > >
      > > A solution for gun crews would be to have a scuttlebutt, just
      like
      > > aboard ship. Landing parties may need some other alternatives.
      > > Canteens?, maybe stoneware flasks? or any of Angela's
      suggestions or
      > > even a mixture. Or unit leadship/event organizers needs to
      include
      > > this in planning. I can here it now..."How do we water the navy?"
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Lt. Patrick Schifferdecker
      > > Naval Establishment
      > > Crown Forces North America
      > >
      > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Angela Gottfred" <agottfre@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Given the wide variety of canteens
      > > selecting the
      > > they will
      > > >
      > > > I apologize if the following comments show I'm out of my
      depth,
      > > but in fur trade
      > > > portrayals of the same era, we encountered similar problems--
      zero
      > > documentation
      > > > for canteens, but a very real need for some source of water.
      Here
      > > are some
      > > > suggestions for you for improvised containers, rather than
      > > canteens:
      > > > reproduction glass bottles; an extra-large mug (1/2 litre
      size)
      > > with cover; or a
      > > > specially designated wooden pail full of fresh water, that
      period
      > > mugs can be
      > > > filled from with a clean dipper.
      > > >
      > > > Your humble & obedient servant,
      > > > Angela Gottfred

      fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

    • Lalozon
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 3, 2006
        From: "Sgt. Seufert" <LCpl_RM@...>

        "We also keep several stoneware jugs, one for grog (which Sir Larry can
        attest)

        I do so attest! ...Yum!

        There's a company that is making beer and ale and bottling it in repopped
        18th century bottles ..

        For the Ontario'ians on this group

        The LCBO Liquor Store sells a UK beer that is bottled in a 18th century
        green bottle .

        Yrs.,
        L2

        Fantasy is the last refuge of the Gentleman!
        -Peter Catley-