WAS - Historical Authenticity? Sailors and Canteens? NOW Sailors and haversacks!

  • Patrick Schifferdecker
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2006
      Ed,
      Please give the citation for sailors and haversacks.

      Cheers,
      Patrick

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:

      > Jim/Patrick
      >
      > Been going over my narratives on the Chesapeake campaigns and
      though I've found a couple of statements about the sailors of the
      Naval Battalions eating biscuit from their haversacks, there's
      nothing about water. And surely with the heat and humidity down
      here in the summer, there would have been a need to carry or obtain
      water.

      > The only mention of canteens comes from Major Wybourn in his diary
      in April 1813, he relates that he was ordered to gather 80 men and a
      subaltern for an expedition. Accordingly he "proceeded, armed and
      provided with everything necessary: canteens; camp kettles & a
      blanket each man." Major Wybourn was then Captain of the company of
      Royal Marines aboard the HMS Marlborough and its unclear whether the
      statement pertains to just his detachment or the entire expedition
      which consisted of over 150 Marines and 200 Sailors.

      > For ourselves, naturally we carry canteens but for camp, we carry
      canvas buckets and keep several filled; one at least near the
      campfire. The advantage of canvas buckets is that they can be
      easily folded and stored in a small space unlike woodenware. We
      generally have one of our tinware pots filled with water also. We
      also keep several stoneware jugs, one for grog (which Sir Larry can
      attest) and another usually for cinnamon water. We will probably
      add a third for wine since the alternative for beer and grog in a
      sailors diet is wine.

      > There's a company that is making beer and ale and bottling it in
      repopped 18th century bottles of which we have gotten a few.

      > As far as carrying extra water into the field, a couple of ship's
      boys carry canvas buckets would be more appropriate then camp
      followers.

      > My two shillings worth,
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Ed Seufert, Cpl
      > 1812 Royal Marines

      though, we do make great compromises in our portrayals to "Army PC"
      and "site management"...who, not incidently have the lips of the
      army impressions glued to their ears. Don't get me wrong, safety is
      paramount, but if we want to play "army" in different outfits, we
      need to rearrange our priorities. The Navy wasn't the army.

      > Personally for events I use a recreated period Gin Bottle to
      carry water on the field. I've hitched a hemp covering for the
      bottle to give it some strength. It is beautiful, looks "maritime",
      and satisfies the site requirements to be "watered" on the field.

      > Fair Winds,
      >
      > Jim Pierce

      fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

      > ---------------------------------
      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      >
      > American Forces Unit Listing
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      of Service.

    • Patrick Schifferdecker
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2006
        I would suggest willow as an alternate. I've found two willow
        covered bottles associated with the Royal Navy. What I found most
        interesting was that while they had many similarities they are
        separated by 250-300 years.
        Cheers,
        Patrick

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Peter Monahan <petemonahan@...>
        wrote:

        > I would suggest that a period looking bottle - check an antiques
        book for proper shape - covered in leather would be both HA enough
        for all but the thread counters, nicve to look at and reasonably
        durable. Mr. Lazon has/had one I quite liked!

        > I'll even provide the leather and/or labour for anyone interested.
        >
        > Peter monahan
        > From: "mccombs98" <macomb@...>
        > Date: 2006/03/31 Fri PM 07:18:09 EST
        > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Historical Authenticity? Sailors and
        Canteens?

        > A glass or plastic properly shaped bottle wrapped in leather works
        well
        > for me. The water remains fresh and cool for quite a long time.
        > Murray
        >

        > "Patrick Schifferdecker" <boldbritishhero@> wrote:
        > >
        > > A solution for gun crews would be to have a scuttlebutt, just
        like
        > > aboard ship. Landing parties may need some other alternatives.
        > > Canteens?, maybe stoneware flasks? or any of Angela's
        suggestions or
        > > even a mixture. Or unit leadship/event organizers needs to
        include
        > > this in planning. I can here it now..."How do we water the navy?"
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Lt. Patrick Schifferdecker
        > > Naval Establishment
        > > Crown Forces North America
        > >
        > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Angela Gottfred" <agottfre@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Given the wide variety of canteens
        > > selecting the
        > > they will
        > > >
        > > > I apologize if the following comments show I'm out of my
        depth,
        > > but in fur trade
        > > > portrayals of the same era, we encountered similar problems--
        zero
        > > documentation
        > > > for canteens, but a very real need for some source of water.
        Here
        > > are some
        > > > suggestions for you for improvised containers, rather than
        > > canteens:
        > > > reproduction glass bottles; an extra-large mug (1/2 litre
        size)
        > > with cover; or a
        > > > specially designated wooden pail full of fresh water, that
        period
        > > mugs can be
        > > > filled from with a clean dipper.
        > > >
        > > > Your humble & obedient servant,
        > > > Angela Gottfred

        fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

      • Lalozon
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 3, 2006
          From: "Sgt. Seufert" <LCpl_RM@...>

          "We also keep several stoneware jugs, one for grog (which Sir Larry can
          attest)

          I do so attest! ...Yum!

          There's a company that is making beer and ale and bottling it in repopped
          18th century bottles ..

          For the Ontario'ians on this group

          The LCBO Liquor Store sells a UK beer that is bottled in a 18th century
          green bottle .

          Yrs.,
          L2

          Fantasy is the last refuge of the Gentleman!
          -Peter Catley-