Re: Goat Cart was Pram/Cart was Diapers

  • mccombs98
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1 11:19 AM
      Sioux,
      Though I haven's seen this wagon, it sounds like a goat cart to me.
      Try these various websites.
      The allamish.com site had a variety of carts, but currently is looking
      for another supplier.
      Murray

      Goat Cart Websites:

      http://www.puddleandpond.com/goat_cart/

      http://www.cntryempproducts.com/WoodenPorductsPage.htm
      (and other misc items of interest)

      http://www.notableitems.com/shop/default.php/cPath/68

      https://smithandspeed.com/index.php?page=carts

      http://www.allamish.com/goat_wagons.shtml
      (currently under re-construction)

      Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote:

      > Allison wrote:
      >
      > > Does anyone here know what sort of
      > >pram might be appropriate?
      > >

      > At Mississinewa last year, there was a very well turned out lady who had
      > her wee daughter in a little wooden cart that she pulled behind or
      > beside her. I did take a picture of it, but I can't upload it just at
      > the moment, as Yahoo seems to be having issues with my ID! I'll try and
      > describe it from memory (anyone else who saw this delightful item,
      > please chime in and correct me if I've gone wrong!) -- it was a
      > rectangular cart, approximately 18' - 24' in length and perhaps 12" in
      > width (or maybe just a little bigger). It sat on what looked to be 8"
      > wheels, which were spoked and made of wood bound with iron (but I think
      > that you could probably get away with solid ones). The body of the cart
      > was a simple flat bottom, with spokes (like the spokes on a Windsor
      > chair) coming up from that flat bottom all of the way around to a height
      > of approximately 8" or so. These spokes were placed at about 2" centers
      > and they radiated outwards slightly. At the top of these spokes was a
      > flat "rim" of wood that was also rectangular in shape, to echo the shape
      > of the cart base, but the corners were cut to a curve, quite possibly to
      > save mum's shins! At the back of the cart, and curving around to
      > approximately 1/3 of the way along the side of the cart, was a second
      > "layer" of spokes, again splayed slightly outwards, and this time about
      > 4" - 6" high, which was topped by another flat "rim" -- thus forming a
      > seat back and sides of sorts. The cart had a long single handle that
      > was mounted at the front and came to a small "T" at the end for easy
      > pulling and pushing -- it was hinged in the middle of the shaft for easy
      > transport and storage. The whole thing was painted in a rather luscious
      > dark green.
      >
      > The mum in question had lined the cart with wee pillows and a shawl or
      > two, and the young mistress looked both cozy and comfy (not to mention
      > horrendously cute!). With the spoke arrangement, I imagine that it
      > would be fairly easy to attach and disguise some sort of a seat belt
      > arrangement for safety.
      >
      > I asked the mum where she had gotten such a gem of a cart, and she
      > replied that the maker regularly sold his wares on ebay as either
      > "wooden carts" or "goat carts". I have searched a couple of times for
      > them, but have not found him so far -- but then I haven't been searching
      > diligently as I have no little ones to cart about!
      >
      > >I will not give up reenacting because my
      > >daughter is disabled. (That was already suggested to me by an
      > >individual who will be left unnamed)
      > >

      > Did that individual, perhaps, labour under the impression that there
      > were no disabled children in 1812? I am already lost in admiration at
      > the challenges that you personally have faced and overcome to go
      > re-enacting, and I am delighted that we will continue to see you and
> [...]
    • Peter Monahan
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 5 9:51 AM
        I have a possible site just west of Alliston, I think - gotta find the guys card again, but he offered 20 acres for "rough camoping for you guys" very recently.

        Peter
        From: "Don Ruetten" <ruetten@...>
        Date: 2006/04/05 Wed PM 12:19:31 EST
        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Historical Authenticity

        > Is there a demand for this type of experience among the current
        > reenactment community?
        >
        > Mike Anderson - GLI

        Absolutely, count me in!

        Might be a bit tough to find a location unless we can do something
        that's fairly easy on the landscape, ie. no brush shelters or crapping
        in the woods, but I suppose the number of participants would be fairly
        small anyway. Also without public support(money) we would have to
        pick up the costs ourselves. Pay a fee for the pleasure of misery!
        I'd do it for sure just for the experience.

        Don Ruetten
        GLI