RE: [WarOf1812] Authenticity or what

  • Marie Zorniak
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      At this time, I wish to pipe in.

      Are the people who work at the sites re-enactors? - most likely not.

      This is a summer job for most students, a government grant summer job.
      Whether or not clothing is made correctly is of little consequence to
      them. After a shift, I have seen clothes mushed into a pile in the
      corner, left until the next work day, a rip or tear left or pinned up
      and not repaired. I am sure this happens at sites in your area as well.

      I have seen clothing after one season look little like what it started
      out to be - worn, dirty, ripped, torn and neglected. By far the girls
      are worse culprits than the fellas. Most sites, do have a specific
      "time zone" for what they portray, and yes some have better clothing
      than others

      Many of the students who I have dealt with, have little regard for the
      "job" other than that - a job. So site clothing must be made the look
      the part on the outside, but easily made to accommodate the sizes and
      shapes of the many students who go through each season.
      There is not a huge amount of $$$ for clothing budgets to be made each
      year, and as site money dwindles, many sites do repair and try to reuse
      what there before going out and making more. That being said, there are
      also wonderful students who go far beyond what a site expects as well.

      Some of the students/employees who do care, will make their own
      clothing, researching and sewing their own outfit to have - this becomes
      ownership for ones own research, which in some cases transfers to
      re-enacting and historic accountability.

      As re-enactors, we are the ones who want to make the right informed
      choices - this is great hobby, for some a lifestyle and for some a
      recreation. Therein falls the level of commitment. For me, I strive to
      "get it right" the first time, and then with research and learning more
      "get it righter" as I learn more.

      With the comments about the cost to get involved, very interesting.
      When we first started .....years ago. We had two young sons, and
      ourselves to prepare for. We learned how to make many things as $$$
      were of consequence, save money to purchase the other things, trade and
      barter with others as another way to complete kit. With having the
      incredible drive to any events further stretched our "hobby" $$$, we
      made informed choices and were selective in them.

      We also learned very quickly to "make it right the first time" as the
      time, energy and again $$$ became a factor. Out code was - wool, linen,
      silk, and in a pinch cotton. We read, researched, read, researched and
      then read some more. Over the years we have made more than seven
      coatees (as our sons grew and their elbows stretched long past the
      sleeves), numerous greatcoats, trowsers, shirts, day caps, bedgowns,
      workdresses, capes, hats, cloaks etc., This was for more than just the
      1812 as we are involved with other time periods as well.

      So with the talk about historic accuracy, it is a dismal time and place
      when one travels so far to the cradle of 1812 and sees the blatant
      disregard for correct costume interpretation. As time draws nearer to
      2012 - the matter of accuracy should be on everyones mind - not how can
      I play with less or little effort.

      Yes, there are officers who do it right, and again many who do it not.
      Not everyone has the wish or aspires that rank, if you wish to portray
      it - then do it properly. If you wish to be a private, then please do
      that right as well. We should be looking at honouring the men and women
      of that time period with our best interpretation, not making a mockery
      with little or no regard to their history.

      Always learning,
      Yours in history
      Your humble and sometimes obedient servant
      From away
      Marie -