Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Pram/Cart was Diapers

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1, 2006
      Allison wrote:

      > Does anyone here know what sort of
      >pram might be appropriate?

      At Mississinewa last year, there was a very well turned out lady who had
      her wee daughter in a little wooden cart that she pulled behind or
      beside her. I did take a picture of it, but I can't upload it just at
      the moment, as Yahoo seems to be having issues with my ID! I'll try and
      describe it from memory (anyone else who saw this delightful item,
      please chime in and correct me if I've gone wrong!) -- it was a
      rectangular cart, approximately 18' - 24' in length and perhaps 12" in
      width (or maybe just a little bigger). It sat on what looked to be 8"
      wheels, which were spoked and made of wood bound with iron (but I think
      that you could probably get away with solid ones). The body of the cart
      was a simple flat bottom, with spokes (like the spokes on a Windsor
      chair) coming up from that flat bottom all of the way around to a height
      of approximately 8" or so. These spokes were placed at about 2" centers
      and they radiated outwards slightly. At the top of these spokes was a
      flat "rim" of wood that was also rectangular in shape, to echo the shape
      of the cart base, but the corners were cut to a curve, quite possibly to
      save mum's shins! At the back of the cart, and curving around to
      approximately 1/3 of the way along the side of the cart, was a second
      "layer" of spokes, again splayed slightly outwards, and this time about
      4" - 6" high, which was topped by another flat "rim" -- thus forming a
      seat back and sides of sorts. The cart had a long single handle that
      was mounted at the front and came to a small "T" at the end for easy
      pulling and pushing -- it was hinged in the middle of the shaft for easy
      transport and storage. The whole thing was painted in a rather luscious
      dark green.

      The mum in question had lined the cart with wee pillows and a shawl or
      two, and the young mistress looked both cozy and comfy (not to mention
      horrendously cute!). With the spoke arrangement, I imagine that it
      would be fairly easy to attach and disguise some sort of a seat belt
      arrangement for safety.

      I asked the mum where she had gotten such a gem of a cart, and she
      replied that the maker regularly sold his wares on ebay as either
      "wooden carts" or "goat carts". I have searched a couple of times for
      them, but have not found him so far -- but then I haven't been searching
      diligently as I have no little ones to cart about!

      >I will not give up reenacting because my
      >daughter is disabled. (That was already suggested to me by an
      >individual who will be left unnamed)

      Did that individual, perhaps, labour under the impression that there
      were no disabled children in 1812? I am already lost in admiration at
      the challenges that you personally have faced and overcome to go
      re-enacting, and I am delighted that we will continue to see you and
      your family in the field.

      Cheers,
      -- Sioux
    • Peter Monahan
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 5, 2006
        I have a possible site just west of Alliston, I think - gotta find the guys card again, but he offered 20 acres for "rough camoping for you guys" very recently.

        Peter
        From: "Don Ruetten" <ruetten@...>
        Date: 2006/04/05 Wed PM 12:19:31 EST
        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Historical Authenticity

        > Is there a demand for this type of experience among the current
        > reenactment community?
        >
        > Mike Anderson - GLI

        Absolutely, count me in!

        Might be a bit tough to find a location unless we can do something
        that's fairly easy on the landscape, ie. no brush shelters or crapping
        in the woods, but I suppose the number of participants would be fairly
        small anyway. Also without public support(money) we would have to
        pick up the costs ourselves. Pay a fee for the pleasure of misery!
        I'd do it for sure just for the experience.

        Don Ruetten
        GLI