Re: [WarOf1812] Help with research paper

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
      In a message dated 01/04/2006 00:12:30 Central Standard Time,
      sgtwarner@... writes:

      Hi Tim,

      You think he was being polite?

      It's posible Craig but this was about 1976-77 and it was the first time I
      had heard the expression. What he told me was that they were so short of Brits
      for some events that they would accept almost anyone with a red coat or musket
      of any description as second rank 'fillers' and it was event organisers who
      announced that for suchand such an event they would accept impressions that
      were 'fairly accurate representing British'. He also said that the actualy
      Brit re-enactors like himself detested them and that within the Brit re-enacting
      community the worst insult posible was to call someone a FARB. Now that said
      since I came to the US in the late 80s I have never been able to confirm
      this origin but to me it sounds as good an explaination as any and better than
      most.

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
        In a message dated 01/04/2006 04:29:29 Central Standard Time,
        revwar752000@... writes:

        amen Americans outnumbering the Britts, now thats something hard to sink in,
        to my knowledge the British have always out number the American Army up
        until the French Arrive, but I have to admit we did have some help before the
        Frech arrived with the Native Indians and the Spanish General De Galvez I
        believe it was who was helping us in the West. as for what this gentlemen said
        about being a farb well again I have to agree Your AN IDIOT Tim do your self a
        favor and pick up a book called Reenactors for Dumbies I think it might help,
        describe the real term of Farb.

        Chadd M. Vail

        Dear Chadd,

        What are you going on about? I quoted what I was told by an American back in
        the 1970s and you call me an idiot!Then you obviously go on about the real
        revolutionary war not re-enacting which was the subject under discussion.
        BTW Bernardo de Galvez was Spanish governor of Louisiana so technicaly West
        but his main actions were around the Baton Rouge area and the gulf coast.
        There were also quite a few natives on the British side during the war, the
        best collection of Native artifacts from the period is the Caldwell collection
        (he was liason officer with the natives) in the Ashmolean museum Oxford.

        After re-enacting this period for the past 33 years I think I will forgo the
        book, thanks for the sugestion though.

      • andrew41st
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:

          > Galvanizing - see cross dressing

          That one comes from the Civil War. The original "Galvanized Yankees"
          were Confederate POW's who enlisted in the Union Army to avoid prison
          camp and were sent out west to man frontier outposts and fight the
          Indians. For reenactors, "galvanizing" usually means throwing on a
          coat and hat of the opposing side to even up the numbers in a tactical
          rather than putting on a whole new impression.

          > Civilwargasm; This was coined in a book which if memory serves was
          > called "Confederates in the Attic" and referred to getting all geared
          > up and going as close to 100% period correct for an extended period
          > of time.

          That was a good book. What they actually did on a "Civil Wargasm" was
          put on period garb and go on a several day road trip to hit as many
          Civil War sites as possible, drinking large amounts of caffeine and
          sugar and eating fast food the whole way, and either sleeping in the
          car or sneaking into a historical site at night to sleep on the
          original ground. I suppose this would have an effect on your mind
          after a couple of days.

          Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
        • HQ93rd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
            In a message dated 1/04/2006 7:49:31 AM, sgtwarner@... writes:
            > an adendum to your additions.....
            > >
            > > "Moose and Squirrel brigade" - farby "mountain men" amd "militia"
            > > with small dead animals on their heads.  See also "road kill brigade"
            >
            > Another term for these folks is "Dead poodles society" ( coined by I
            > believe Gord Andrews)

            And yet another is "dogonhead".
            I can't recall the exact origins of this one, but it at least goes back to
            Abolt's and my time in Texas Rev reenactment.
            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            www.93rdhighlanders.com

          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
              Quite right Craig, and thank you for your quick and succinct reply.
              Otherwise I might have responded with something along the lines of, "My
              direct ancestors got the hell out of NC long ago, and those distant relations still
              there are nothing but inbred hillbillies", which could be ascribed as a form
              of name calling, and adds nothing to the discussion.
              Or -- perhaps I could have used a form of witticism such as, "Far And
              Rejoiceful from BoonieNC", is the actual meaning of the term "FARB".
              Which might then take one to consult the rebuttal wit Cyrano de Bergerac uses
              to not only humiliate (with words) but also defeat (with swords) the imbecile
              whose only mundane insult to Cyrano is, "You have a large nose"...from the
              play by Edmond Rostand ("I fling you aslant, asprawl, Then as I end the refrain,
              thrust Home!")
              But, Tim has already defended himself quite well with 33 years of reenacting
              experience, which is enough of a thrust home on this board.

              Regarding this all in a last scrutiny... Re; "YOUR AN IDIOT" --
              The term should be, "YOU'RE" - which is the contraction of the phrase, "YOU
              ARE" rather than the possessive adjective, "Your".
              Only an idiot would make such a mistake....
              But then, that would be name calling...and "Far Be It From Me" to do such a
              thing...

              In a message dated 1/04/2006 8:51:20 AM, sgtwarner@... writes:
              > There's no call for name calling Chadd...
              >   Craig Williams
              >
              > >From: Chadd Vail <revwar752000@...>
              > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Help with research paper
              > >Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 02:29:02 -0800 (PST)
              > >
              > >amen Americans outnumbering the Britts, now thats something hard to sink
              > >in, to my knowledge the British have always out number the American Army up
              > >until the French Arrive, but I have to admit we did have some help before
              > >the Frech arrived with the Native Indians and the Spanish General De Galvez
              > >I believe it was who was helping us in the West. as for what this gentlemen
              > >said about being a farb well again I have to agree Your AN IDIOT Tim do
              > >your self a favor and pick up a book called Reenactors for Dumbies I think
              > >it might help, describe the real term of Farb.
              > >   Chadd M. Vail
              > >   Sgt. 69th NC Infantry
              > >   ACW Reenactor
              >
              > >Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:
              > >   Hi Tim,
              > >You think he was being polite?
              > >Craig
              >
              > >On 31-Mar-06, at 11:51 PM, BritcomHMP@... wrote:
              > > > In a message dated 31/03/2006 20:21:47 Central Standard Time,
              > > > sgtwarner@... writes:
              > > > This one  goes back a long way to the early days of AWI and US civil
              > > > war  reenacting. It is actually an abbreviation of, "far be it from me
              > > > but you are an a**hole."
              >
              > > > I have no idea how accurate this is but in the early 70s back in
              > > > England I
              > > > had a visit from a re-enactor from the 10th Foot in the US. He told
              > > > me that
              > > > 'farb' was an acronym from a term that was used when they allowed
              > > > people who
              > > > were not accurate make up British numbers as they were usualy out
              > > > numbered by  '
              > > > Americans', he said it sood for 'Fairly Accurate, Representing
              > > > British'
              > > > Tim

              Lt Col. B, CO 93rd, CO World Wide Highland Brigade, Senior Crown Forces
              Officer Western North America
              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com