Authenticity or what

  • tracyforsyth2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
      I have been a member of this group since May 2000 we are spectators
      of this hobby,my kids volunteer at Fort George during the summer
      season.

      I have observed many threads on this yahoogroup regarding
      authenticity within this hobby,coolers,tents,facial
      hair,chairs,hats,canteens,nylon etc.
      The volunteers and hobbists of this activity are VERY dedicated to
      portray(sp) an authentic over view of this period.

      we have volunteers that receive no financial reward,and work hard to
      be period correct.
      My daughter volunteers at Fort George as a soldiers daughter and we
      have done some inquries and found that the issued kit is not period
      correct. She wears a "skirt" (draw string)at the waist and a separate
      draw string top(draw string is below the bust)Officer's wives wear
      empire? waist one piece dresses. Other historic sites of this period
      have their staff wear dresses that are one piece and empire waist
      (elastic around the bust line).
      I find it really interesting that unpaid volunteers take hours to get
      it right and paid employees at historical sites aren't as dedicated

      If govenerment sites cant get the fashion correct???

      Tracy
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
        Tracy,

        I have sent you a missive off-list but I will pass a comment here.
        I have made comment about this very problem within the community many
        times as respectfully as possible. Those who have seen my seminar on
        civilian dress know how I feel about historic sites and this subject,
        and also know that I have said, "I'm not going to get into which
        sites do this better than others".

        While I agree that the elasticized waistband is a glaring and
        offensive cheat,the greater question here is, "who's not wearing the
        right thing?" Which fashion is period correct?

        Canada's Historic sites, whether privately or particularly
        Provincially or Federally administered have an obligation to do
        better, to get it right.
        Most sites spend their budgets on the military impression first, (OK,
        I get that), but even when they have relatively good budgets they
        have a tendency to "second class" the women's impressions.

        Craig Williams
      • Marie Zorniak
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
          At this time, I wish to pipe in.

          Are the people who work at the sites re-enactors? - most likely not.

          This is a summer job for most students, a government grant summer job.
          Whether or not clothing is made correctly is of little consequence to
          them. After a shift, I have seen clothes mushed into a pile in the
          corner, left until the next work day, a rip or tear left or pinned up
          and not repaired. I am sure this happens at sites in your area as well.

          I have seen clothing after one season look little like what it started
          out to be - worn, dirty, ripped, torn and neglected. By far the girls
          are worse culprits than the fellas. Most sites, do have a specific
          "time zone" for what they portray, and yes some have better clothing
          than others

          Many of the students who I have dealt with, have little regard for the
          "job" other than that - a job. So site clothing must be made the look
          the part on the outside, but easily made to accommodate the sizes and
          shapes of the many students who go through each season.
          There is not a huge amount of $$$ for clothing budgets to be made each
          year, and as site money dwindles, many sites do repair and try to reuse
          what there before going out and making more. That being said, there are
          also wonderful students who go far beyond what a site expects as well.

          Some of the students/employees who do care, will make their own
          clothing, researching and sewing their own outfit to have - this becomes
          ownership for ones own research, which in some cases transfers to
          re-enacting and historic accountability.

          As re-enactors, we are the ones who want to make the right informed
          choices - this is great hobby, for some a lifestyle and for some a
          recreation. Therein falls the level of commitment. For me, I strive to
          "get it right" the first time, and then with research and learning more
          "get it righter" as I learn more.

          With the comments about the cost to get involved, very interesting.
          When we first started .....years ago. We had two young sons, and
          ourselves to prepare for. We learned how to make many things as $$$
          were of consequence, save money to purchase the other things, trade and
          barter with others as another way to complete kit. With having the
          incredible drive to any events further stretched our "hobby" $$$, we
          made informed choices and were selective in them.

          We also learned very quickly to "make it right the first time" as the
          time, energy and again $$$ became a factor. Out code was - wool, linen,
          silk, and in a pinch cotton. We read, researched, read, researched and
          then read some more. Over the years we have made more than seven
          coatees (as our sons grew and their elbows stretched long past the
          sleeves), numerous greatcoats, trowsers, shirts, day caps, bedgowns,
          workdresses, capes, hats, cloaks etc., This was for more than just the
          1812 as we are involved with other time periods as well.

          So with the talk about historic accuracy, it is a dismal time and place
          when one travels so far to the cradle of 1812 and sees the blatant
          disregard for correct costume interpretation. As time draws nearer to
          2012 - the matter of accuracy should be on everyones mind - not how can
          I play with less or little effort.

          Yes, there are officers who do it right, and again many who do it not.
          Not everyone has the wish or aspires that rank, if you wish to portray
          it - then do it properly. If you wish to be a private, then please do
          that right as well. We should be looking at honouring the men and women
          of that time period with our best interpretation, not making a mockery
          with little or no regard to their history.

          Always learning,
          Yours in history
          Your humble and sometimes obedient servant
          From away
          Marie -