Help with research paper

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2006
      Ok, folks, first let me start by apologizing if you receive this more
      than once, as I am a member of a number of re-enacting e-mail groups.

      My daughter is an English major at the University of Southern
      Mississippi, and is doing a research paper on jargon, or language
      associated with a particular job or hobby. She has chosen "re-
      enactorisms" as her subject and has asked me to send out a call to
      you for assistance in this endeavor.

      If you would kindly take a moment and think about the terms you apply
      to what we do, but would otherwise make no sense to the rest of
      humanity; please jot them down and send as a reply to this message.
      Any definition, or part of speech (noun, pronoun, verb, adjective)
      descriptors would be helpful.

      It would be greatly appreciated and God knows I need to get the child
      out of college and making her own money. She cuts deeply into my re-
      enacting budget.

      I remain, your humble & obedient servant,

      Tom Robinson
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 31, 2006
        Here's a couple...

        farb; noun, north american slang. A farb, a person who is not period
        accurate normally to a large degree.
        farby; adjective something that is not period accurate
        Variation, Farbishness

        This one goes back a long way to the early days of AWI and US civil
        war reenacting. It is actually an abbreviation of, "far be it from me
        but you are an a**hole."

        farb-nazi; someone who is a "thread counter" to the extreme and is
        vociferous about it to the point of shaming a farb to do something to
        improve their impression.

        farb police/cop; someone whose job it is to enforce authenticity
        standards. Referred to as this by the people who have employed this
        person to be a farb police/cop. Usually called a "farb-nazi" by farbs.

        repop; noun; A reproduction.eg; that musket is a repop, verb, to
        reproduce an item, eg; I'm going to repop a musket.

        Tourons; noun, a stupid tourist or viewer. a combination of tourist
        and moron.

        Bangstick; noun, a firearm

        Youall; Canadian slang, american tourist, abbreviation of "you all
        are a soldier huh?"

        Craig Williams

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 31, 2006
          In a message dated 31/03/2006 20:21:47 Central Standard Time,
          sgtwarner@... writes:

          This one goes back a long way to the early days of AWI and US civil
          war reenacting. It is actually an abbreviation of, "far be it from me
          but you are an a**hole."

          I have no idea how accurate this is but in the early 70s back in England I
          had a visit from a re-enactor from the 10th Foot in the US. He told me that
          'farb' was an acronym from a term that was used when they allowed people who
          were not accurate make up British numbers as they were usualy out numbered by '
          Americans', he said it sood for 'Fairly Accurate, Representing British'

        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 31, 2006
            Hi Tim,

            You think he was being polite?

            Craig
            On 31-Mar-06, at 11:51 PM, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 31/03/2006 20:21:47 Central Standard Time,
            > sgtwarner@... writes:
            >
            > This one goes back a long way to the early days of AWI and US civil
            > war reenacting. It is actually an abbreviation of, "far be it from me
            > but you are an a**hole."
            >

            > I have no idea how accurate this is but in the early 70s back in
            > England I
            > had a visit from a re-enactor from the 10th Foot in the US. He told
            > me that
            > 'farb' was an acronym from a term that was used when they allowed
            > people who
            > were not accurate make up British numbers as they were usualy out
            > numbered by '
            > Americans', he said it sood for 'Fairly Accurate, Representing
            > British'
            >
            > Tim

            > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
            > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

          • Chadd Vail
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1 2:29 AM
              amen Americans outnumbering the Britts, now thats something hard to sink in, to my knowledge the British have always out number the American Army up until the French Arrive, but I have to admit we did have some help before the Frech arrived with the Native Indians and the Spanish General De Galvez I believe it was who was helping us in the West. as for what this gentlemen said about being a farb well again I have to agree Your AN IDIOT Tim do your self a favor and pick up a book called Reenactors for Dumbies I think it might help, describe the real term of Farb.

              Chadd M. Vail

              Sgt. 69th NC Infantry
              ACW Reenactor

              Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:
              Hi Tim,

              You think he was being polite?

              Craig
              On 31-Mar-06, at 11:51 PM, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 31/03/2006 20:21:47 Central Standard Time,
              > sgtwarner@... writes:
              >
              > This one goes back a long way to the early days of AWI and US civil
              > war reenacting. It is actually an abbreviation of, "far be it from me
              > but you are an a**hole."
              >

              > I have no idea how accurate this is but in the early 70s back in
              > England I
              > had a visit from a re-enactor from the 10th Foot in the US. He told
              > me that
              > 'farb' was an acronym from a term that was used when they allowed
              > people who
              > were not accurate make up British numbers as they were usualy out
              > numbered by '
              > Americans', he said it sood for 'Fairly Accurate, Representing
              > British'
              >
              > Tim

              > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
              > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

              ---------------------------------
              Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

              American Forces Unit Listing
              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              ---------------------------------

            • Peter Monahan
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1 6:08 AM
                Oh, boy! Are we gonna have fun with this!

                "Button-pisser" - apparently from the practice of some ACW types who "speed up" corrosion on their metal findings by.., You get the idea!

                "Flatlanders" - tourists (got this from a sutler whom good manners precludes me naming). A buckskinner term?

                "Moose and Squirrel brigade" - farby "mountain men" amd "militia" with small dead animals on their heads. See also "road kill brigade"

                non-HA terms for firearms and parts thereof: "frizzen" for "pan cover", etc. (Ducking for cover here, but see previous threads on this site)

                "cross dresser" - an American in Br/Cdn uniform or vice-versa.

                "sutler" for "merchant" !!! (Sorry, Craig, couldn't resist!)

                "Wa-Na-Bees" - emphasis on the second syllable - for very inaccurate Native impressions

                I hasten to add that I have never, nor would I ever consider, actually used any of these terms about anyone!

                BTW, the Toronto Star used to regularly publish lists of "trade specific" terms but quit not long after a column on airline workers terms for passengers: too many of them were quite inappropriate for a family newspaper.

                My tuppence and change

                Peter Monahan

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1 6:48 AM
                  > Peter
                  No need to apologize.
                  an adendum to your additions.....

                  > "Moose and Squirrel brigade" - farby "mountain men" amd "militia"
                  > with small dead animals on their heads. See also "road kill brigade"

                  Another term for these folks is "Dead poodles society" ( coined by I
                  believe Gord Andrews)

                  > "cross dresser" - an American in Br/Cdn uniform or vice-versa.

                  Galvanizing - see cross dressing

                  A new addition,

                  Civilwargasm; This was coined in a book which if memory serves was
                  called "Confederates in the Attic" and referred to getting all geared
                  up and going as close to 100% period correct for an extended period
                  of time. Hopefully until you blur the line between reality and
                  history. Sort like a reenactors "vision quest" (sorry Wolf).

                  Craig

                • sgtwarner@sympatico.ca
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1 7:49 AM
                    There's no call for name calling Chadd...
                    Craig Williams

                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 1 7:54 AM
                      In a message dated 01/04/2006 00:12:30 Central Standard Time,
                      sgtwarner@... writes:

                      Hi Tim,

                      You think he was being polite?

                      It's posible Craig but this was about 1976-77 and it was the first time I
                      had heard the expression. What he told me was that they were so short of Brits
                      for some events that they would accept almost anyone with a red coat or musket
                      of any description as second rank 'fillers' and it was event organisers who
                      announced that for suchand such an event they would accept impressions that
                      were 'fairly accurate representing British'. He also said that the actualy
                      Brit re-enactors like himself detested them and that within the Brit re-enacting
                      community the worst insult posible was to call someone a FARB. Now that said
                      since I came to the US in the late 80s I have never been able to confirm
                      this origin but to me it sounds as good an explaination as any and better than
                      most.

                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 1 8:12 AM
                        In a message dated 01/04/2006 04:29:29 Central Standard Time,
                        revwar752000@... writes:

                        amen Americans outnumbering the Britts, now thats something hard to sink in,
                        to my knowledge the British have always out number the American Army up
                        until the French Arrive, but I have to admit we did have some help before the
                        Frech arrived with the Native Indians and the Spanish General De Galvez I
                        believe it was who was helping us in the West. as for what this gentlemen said
                        about being a farb well again I have to agree Your AN IDIOT Tim do your self a
                        favor and pick up a book called Reenactors for Dumbies I think it might help,
                        describe the real term of Farb.

                        Chadd M. Vail

                        Dear Chadd,

                        What are you going on about? I quoted what I was told by an American back in
                        the 1970s and you call me an idiot!Then you obviously go on about the real
                        revolutionary war not re-enacting which was the subject under discussion.
                        BTW Bernardo de Galvez was Spanish governor of Louisiana so technicaly West
                        but his main actions were around the Baton Rouge area and the gulf coast.
                        There were also quite a few natives on the British side during the war, the
                        best collection of Native artifacts from the period is the Caldwell collection
                        (he was liason officer with the natives) in the Ashmolean museum Oxford.

                        After re-enacting this period for the past 33 years I think I will forgo the
                        book, thanks for the sugestion though.

                      • andrew41st
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 1 5:56 PM
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:

                          > Galvanizing - see cross dressing

                          That one comes from the Civil War. The original "Galvanized Yankees"
                          were Confederate POW's who enlisted in the Union Army to avoid prison
                          camp and were sent out west to man frontier outposts and fight the
                          Indians. For reenactors, "galvanizing" usually means throwing on a
                          coat and hat of the opposing side to even up the numbers in a tactical
                          rather than putting on a whole new impression.

                          > Civilwargasm; This was coined in a book which if memory serves was
                          > called "Confederates in the Attic" and referred to getting all geared
                          > up and going as close to 100% period correct for an extended period
                          > of time.

                          That was a good book. What they actually did on a "Civil Wargasm" was
                          put on period garb and go on a several day road trip to hit as many
                          Civil War sites as possible, drinking large amounts of caffeine and
                          sugar and eating fast food the whole way, and either sleeping in the
                          car or sneaking into a historical site at night to sleep on the
                          original ground. I suppose this would have an effect on your mind
                          after a couple of days.

                          Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
                        • HQ93rd@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2 9:14 PM
                            In a message dated 1/04/2006 7:49:31 AM, sgtwarner@... writes:
                            > an adendum to your additions.....
                            > >
                            > > "Moose and Squirrel brigade" - farby "mountain men" amd "militia"
                            > > with small dead animals on their heads.  See also "road kill brigade"
                            >
                            > Another term for these folks is "Dead poodles society" ( coined by I
                            > believe Gord Andrews)

                            And yet another is "dogonhead".
                            I can't recall the exact origins of this one, but it at least goes back to
                            Abolt's and my time in Texas Rev reenactment.
                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                            THE Thin Red Line
                            www.93rdhighlanders.com

                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 2 10:12 PM
                              Quite right Craig, and thank you for your quick and succinct reply.
                              Otherwise I might have responded with something along the lines of, "My
                              direct ancestors got the hell out of NC long ago, and those distant relations still
                              there are nothing but inbred hillbillies", which could be ascribed as a form
                              of name calling, and adds nothing to the discussion.
                              Or -- perhaps I could have used a form of witticism such as, "Far And
                              Rejoiceful from BoonieNC", is the actual meaning of the term "FARB".
                              Which might then take one to consult the rebuttal wit Cyrano de Bergerac uses
                              to not only humiliate (with words) but also defeat (with swords) the imbecile
                              whose only mundane insult to Cyrano is, "You have a large nose"...from the
                              play by Edmond Rostand ("I fling you aslant, asprawl, Then as I end the refrain,
                              thrust Home!")
                              But, Tim has already defended himself quite well with 33 years of reenacting
                              experience, which is enough of a thrust home on this board.

                              Regarding this all in a last scrutiny... Re; "YOUR AN IDIOT" --
                              The term should be, "YOU'RE" - which is the contraction of the phrase, "YOU
                              ARE" rather than the possessive adjective, "Your".
                              Only an idiot would make such a mistake....
                              But then, that would be name calling...and "Far Be It From Me" to do such a
                              thing...

                              In a message dated 1/04/2006 8:51:20 AM, sgtwarner@... writes:
                              > There's no call for name calling Chadd...
                              >   Craig Williams
                              >
                              > >From: Chadd Vail <revwar752000@...>
                              > >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                              > >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Help with research paper
                              > >Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 02:29:02 -0800 (PST)
                              > >
                              > >amen Americans outnumbering the Britts, now thats something hard to sink
                              > >in, to my knowledge the British have always out number the American Army up
                              > >until the French Arrive, but I have to admit we did have some help before
                              > >the Frech arrived with the Native Indians and the Spanish General De Galvez
                              > >I believe it was who was helping us in the West. as for what this gentlemen
                              > >said about being a farb well again I have to agree Your AN IDIOT Tim do
                              > >your self a favor and pick up a book called Reenactors for Dumbies I think
                              > >it might help, describe the real term of Farb.
                              > >   Chadd M. Vail
                              > >   Sgt. 69th NC Infantry
                              > >   ACW Reenactor
                              >
                              > >Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:
                              > >   Hi Tim,
                              > >You think he was being polite?
                              > >Craig
                              >
                              > >On 31-Mar-06, at 11:51 PM, BritcomHMP@... wrote:
                              > > > In a message dated 31/03/2006 20:21:47 Central Standard Time,
                              > > > sgtwarner@... writes:
                              > > > This one  goes back a long way to the early days of AWI and US civil
                              > > > war  reenacting. It is actually an abbreviation of, "far be it from me
                              > > > but you are an a**hole."
                              >
                              > > > I have no idea how accurate this is but in the early 70s back in
                              > > > England I
                              > > > had a visit from a re-enactor from the 10th Foot in the US. He told
                              > > > me that
                              > > > 'farb' was an acronym from a term that was used when they allowed
                              > > > people who
                              > > > were not accurate make up British numbers as they were usualy out
                              > > > numbered by  '
                              > > > Americans', he said it sood for 'Fairly Accurate, Representing
                              > > > British'
                              > > > Tim

                              Lt Col. B, CO 93rd, CO World Wide Highland Brigade, Senior Crown Forces
                              Officer Western North America
                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com