"build or make things" was Historical Authenticity? Historical Authenticity?

  • Lalozon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2006
      From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>

      Is it fair to set rigid standards beyond the financial abilities of most of
      our newcomers to reenacting at the very time that we need more of them? ...
      It should not be a private club only for those of us who can afford the
      $5,000 to $10,000 for multiple perfectly authentic kits and equipment.
      (Larry, not everyone is able to build or make these things for
      themselves.)...

      Gord

      Since you singled me out ... I will address your statements above.

      A hobby is usually what one can afford.

      If you choose golf, for instance, you can join a club that has annual dues
      of $50 or one that has annual dues of over $1000. The choice is yours.

      1812 Re-enacting is the same.

      You can join a Unit that states exactly what you can have, do, etc.
      They "set rigid standards " This unit has researched what they wore, ate,
      etc.
      This Unit will cost you ...

      Or you can join a unit who thinks they had this or that and don't care what
      their members do or wear as long as they have a zillion members. This Unit
      is cheaper and has not "set rigid standards "

      There are many units in between.
      Choose the unit you can afford

      The choice is yours .

      Navy and Provincial Marine impressions is not merle putting on a blue coat,
      red vest and painted straw hat . because one can't afford to be a red/blue
      coated soldier.

      Victor Suthren and his Navy Staff are trying to do it correct with
      'Historical Authenticity' having boat training, etc.

      Another group of Navy types are researching their ship and what their Purser
      purchased for clothing. They are also drilling as a ship's company and
      learning Navy skills.

      In conclusion

      If you can't afford the trappings of an officer . don't try to be one on the
      cheap

      If you can't afford to be a red/blue coated soldier . don't try to be one on
      the cheap

      If one does not have much money to put into this hobby .

      One can always be a civilian .

      'Historical Authenticity' tells us that they existed during the War of 1812.

      I don't think we should slight a Unit or person because of trying to do it
      correctly with 'Historical Authenticity' and spends moocho money on his
      hobby .

      Larry Stutt - 8th (Kings) Regt. comes to mind with is officer's impression .
      visit his marquee...

      Spend what you can afford on your hobby .

      Do a little research and find out what they really had

      Make - built - buy it .

      or
      If one can't afford it ......

      ... go without and choose another impression.

      Yrs.,
      L2

      'Without prejudice and with all respect'