Re: Historical Authenticity

  • wolf_bna
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 30, 2006
      Since Native Allies were included in the original post I'll address
      this issue.

      My understanding of the purpose of "re-enacting" is to recreate as
      accurately as possible the battles fought in (in this forum's case)
      the War Of 1812. It is also my opinion that this should be carried
      out with some semblance of "authenticity" as well as the utmost
      respect and honor to those we portray.

      I don't object to someone just starting out having to "improvise
      their clothing and accoutrements" until they can acquire proper
      period attire. I do however object to the blatant disregard of
      authenticity in attire, culture and misreprentation of Native
      portrayals that I have witnessed. Contemporary "Pan-Indian" pow-wow
      window dressing has no place in an historical venue. Fact has always
      been the greatest casualty of history at the best of times. To
      present it in a fictitious manner is to do a great disservice to the
      public that come to watch and learn. It is also a mockery of the
      Native People and Ancestors.

      Would a person showing up in an 1812 event dressed in a suit of armor
      and chain-mail be authentic and period correct? It is possible since
      it is pre-1812 era. It is probable? I highly doubt it! Although it
      has its proper time period and location North America in 1812 isn't
      one of them. This is a fine example of a recruit for Hollywood or the
      Society Of Creative Anachronisms, the place for all such fictitious
      and inaccurate portrayals.

      Portraying a Native puts anyone whether Native or not in an extremely
      precarious position. I still have a Clan and a Nation that I am
      accountable to. In fact EVERYONE doing this portrayal is accountable
      to them or any other Nation. One only has to surf the internet to
      find that many Native Nations and Organizations have "Declared War"
      on the use of Native symbols and "Wannabe Indians."

      Authenticity in clothing, culture and proper representation is not a
      Political Issue. It is in fact an ETHICAL matter in which the
      Historical Responsibility rests in and on each and every one of us
    • Peter Monahan
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 5, 2006
        I have a possible site just west of Alliston, I think - gotta find the guys card again, but he offered 20 acres for "rough camoping for you guys" very recently.

        Peter
        From: "Don Ruetten" <ruetten@...>
        Date: 2006/04/05 Wed PM 12:19:31 EST
        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Historical Authenticity

        > Is there a demand for this type of experience among the current
        > reenactment community?
        >
        > Mike Anderson - GLI

        Absolutely, count me in!

        Might be a bit tough to find a location unless we can do something
        that's fairly easy on the landscape, ie. no brush shelters or crapping
        in the woods, but I suppose the number of participants would be fairly
        small anyway. Also without public support(money) we would have to
        pick up the costs ourselves. Pay a fee for the pleasure of misery!
        I'd do it for sure just for the experience.

        Don Ruetten
        GLI