Re: Sad news from camp

  • Dave Westhouse
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 6 6:33 AM
      On behalf of the 1st Royal Scots Grenadier Company I would like to
      extend the deepest sympathies of our group to the family of Bev
      Nichols. It is always so sad to hear of the loss of one of our friends
      in re-enacting.

      It was always nice to see Bev in his tent selling his wares. He was a
      fixture and will be sorely missed. Many a tear shall be shed when his
      name is read, at Fort Niagara, from the list of members who have moved
      on to grander pastures.

      Dave Westhouse, Corporal
      1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote:

      > I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
      > friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
      > from a long illness. Bev had been "on the circuit" for 30 or more
      years
      > as a member of Butler's Rangers and as proprietor of Head of the Lakes
      > Trading Post. Bev was well known for his leatherworking, and in
      > addition had won numerous prizes for his woodcarving.

      > In sadness,
      > -- Sioux
    • John Harris
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 6 2:26 PM
        My Sincere condolences to Bev's family and friends. It is always sad when we
        loose a member of our time family.
        With respect
        John Harris
        22nd US Infantry

        Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:36:17 -0500
        From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
        Subject: Sad news from camp

        I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
        friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
        from a long illness.
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 6 2:33 PM
          Once again we are sadly and greatly diminished.
          On behalf of the CMHS, I extend heartfelt condolences to Bev's family.
          I will miss him.

          Craig Williams
          On 6-Mar-06, at 5:26 PM, John Harris wrote:

          > My Sincere condolences to Bev's family and friends. It is always
          > sad when we
          > loose a member of our time family.
          > With respect
          > John Harris
          > 22nd US Infantry
          >

          > Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:36:17 -0500
          > From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
          > Subject: Sad news from camp
          >
          > I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
          > friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many
          > complications
          > from a long illness.

          > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
          > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

        • roy winders
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 11 3:22 AM
            Having just returned from my brothers funeral in the u.k, i am saddened by news of Bevs passing, he will truly be missed. Please pass on my deepest simpathy to Bevs family.
            Roy Winders, B.I.D.
            Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote: I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
            friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
            from a long illness. Bev had been "on the circuit" for 30 or more years
            as a member of Butler's Rangers and as proprietor of Head of the Lakes
            Trading Post. Bev was well known for his leatherworking, and in
            addition had won numerous prizes for his woodcarving.

            It looks at this point like funeral services will be held on Wednesday.
            I will post the information to everyone as soon as I have it.

            A piece of my heart has gone with our Bev -- he was such a fixture in
            camp! He was always ready for a good long chat and he was always up for
            an adventure. I'll never forget the drive to and from the first Quebec
            City event with him -- in between getting lost, flat tires, wonky
            headlights, and trying to order ice cream and get directions in French,
            we made some great memories.

            Travel safely onward, my friend -- may your path be easier now, and may
            you always find a new adventure over the next hill.

            In sadness,
            -- Sioux

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Listing
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            United state history United kingdom Living history War of 1812

            ---------------------------------

          • Spencer's Mercantile
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 19, 2010
              Dear folks --

              I'm very sorry to have to give you the news that Linda Wilkinson, mother of Chris Wilkinson, has been diagnosed with liver cancer and has been given a very short time to remain amongst us. She is currently in Henderson Hospital in Hamilton. I'm sure that many of you will remember Linda's gentle, quiet presence in camp. She will certainly be very much missed. Frankly, I don't know what Sparky or the kids will do without her.

              To make matters worse, Chris is currently unavailable, but as far as I know, his email is still receiving messages in the interim -- the last email that I have for him is littlefeatherscrafts(at)yahoo.ca. (Linda does not have email of her own.) However, if you would like to send Linda a card or something directly, the addresses are as follows:

              Home:
              George (Sparky) and Linda Wilkinson
              79 Province St. N.
              Hamilton, ON
              L8H 4H5

              Hospital:
              Mrs. Linda Wilkinson, Patient,
              Ward F5, Room 11, Bed 4
              Henderson Hospital
              711 Concession Street,
              Hamilton, ON
              L8V 1C3

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 19, 2010
                It's just been brought to my attention that Linda may be transferring hospitals very soon, so sending things to the home address is the best idea for the moment.

                -- Sioux

              • Spencer's Mercantile
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 11 8:39 AM
                  Many of you will remember Debbie Shepherd, who spent many years re-enacting with us, portraying a voyageur/native. Unbeknown to most of us, she was also fighting valiant battle with cancer over many of the last years. Sadly, she succumbed to the disease on Tuesday. She had spent the afternoon in the spring sunshine, visiting her sister.

                  We will miss her cheery presence and wonderful hospitality in camp, and in life. Her last event was Longwoods last year -- one of her favourite events. I'm ever so grateful that we had a chance to visit a bit then.

                  Funeral arrangements will be through:
                  Eric F. Nicholls Funeral Home

                  639 Elgin St
                  Wallaceburg, Ontario
                  Canada N8A 3C6

                  http://www.ericfnichollsfuneralhome.com/index.cfm

                  Visitation is supposed to be Sunday 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm and funeral on Monday -- no details are posted as of yet, but I understand that they will be shortly.

                  In sadness,

                  -- Sioux

                • roy winders
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 12 5:46 AM
                    Sad news indeed, R.I.P. Debbie.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 29

                      It is with profound sadness that I must report the passing of potter Doug Loveland, known to many of you as the proprietor of the shop Crude Local Pottery. He left us yesterday evening at 9:45 after a long and hard fought battle with cancer.

                      I will post details of any arrangements once they are available.

                      In sorrow,

                      -- Sioux

                    • spencersmerc