Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Sad news from camp

  • Peter Monahan
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
      On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Bulger's Company, our condolences to Bev's family and friends. He was a good man and a friend to many of us and he will truly be missed. Rest in peace.

      Peter Monahan, RNR
    • bmitcheca
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
        On Behalf of myself and my husband Gord, we extend our best wishes to
        Bev's family. Bev will indeed be greatly missed. He was a good
        friend to us and was one of the first to welcome us to sutler's row.
        In our 17 years of re-enacting, we have found that one of the best
        things about this hobby is the people you meet and the friends that
        you make.
        With great sadness and a heavy heart ..
        Beth Mitchell
      • Rick Peterson
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
          On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Skinner's Coy, I would like
          to extend my condolences to the Nichol family and friends.

          As some of you may know, Bev was also a very active member of the
          Hamilton Branch United Empire Loyalists. For many years he donned the
          Butler's Rangers garb, and was the standard bearer for all their
          meetings and ceremonies.
          His loss is far reaching, and will be felt by all those whom he knew.

          Rick Peterson, RNR
        • Dave Westhouse
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
            On behalf of the 1st Royal Scots Grenadier Company I would like to
            extend the deepest sympathies of our group to the family of Bev
            Nichols. It is always so sad to hear of the loss of one of our friends
            in re-enacting.

            It was always nice to see Bev in his tent selling his wares. He was a
            fixture and will be sorely missed. Many a tear shall be shed when his
            name is read, at Fort Niagara, from the list of members who have moved
            on to grander pastures.

            Dave Westhouse, Corporal
            1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote:

            > I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
            > friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
            > from a long illness. Bev had been "on the circuit" for 30 or more
            years
            > as a member of Butler's Rangers and as proprietor of Head of the Lakes
            > Trading Post. Bev was well known for his leatherworking, and in
            > addition had won numerous prizes for his woodcarving.

            > In sadness,
            > -- Sioux
          • John Harris
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
              My Sincere condolences to Bev's family and friends. It is always sad when we
              loose a member of our time family.
              With respect
              John Harris
              22nd US Infantry

              Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:36:17 -0500
              From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
              Subject: Sad news from camp

              I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
              friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
              from a long illness.
            • Craig Williams
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                Once again we are sadly and greatly diminished.
                On behalf of the CMHS, I extend heartfelt condolences to Bev's family.
                I will miss him.

                Craig Williams
                On 6-Mar-06, at 5:26 PM, John Harris wrote:

                > My Sincere condolences to Bev's family and friends. It is always
                > sad when we
                > loose a member of our time family.
                > With respect
                > John Harris
                > 22nd US Infantry
                >

                > Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:36:17 -0500
                > From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
                > Subject: Sad news from camp
                >
                > I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                > friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many
                > complications
                > from a long illness.

                > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
                > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

              • roy winders
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 11, 2006
                  Having just returned from my brothers funeral in the u.k, i am saddened by news of Bevs passing, he will truly be missed. Please pass on my deepest simpathy to Bevs family.
                  Roy Winders, B.I.D.
                  Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote: I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                  friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
                  from a long illness. Bev had been "on the circuit" for 30 or more years
                  as a member of Butler's Rangers and as proprietor of Head of the Lakes
                  Trading Post. Bev was well known for his leatherworking, and in
                  addition had won numerous prizes for his woodcarving.

                  It looks at this point like funeral services will be held on Wednesday.
                  I will post the information to everyone as soon as I have it.

                  A piece of my heart has gone with our Bev -- he was such a fixture in
                  camp! He was always ready for a good long chat and he was always up for
                  an adventure. I'll never forget the drive to and from the first Quebec
                  City event with him -- in between getting lost, flat tires, wonky
                  headlights, and trying to order ice cream and get directions in French,
                  we made some great memories.

                  Travel safely onward, my friend -- may your path be easier now, and may
                  you always find a new adventure over the next hill.

                  In sadness,
                  -- Sioux

                  ---------------------------------
                  Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                  American Forces Unit Listing
                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  United state history United kingdom Living history War of 1812

                  ---------------------------------

                • Spencer's Mercantile
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 19, 2010
                    Dear folks --

                    I'm very sorry to have to give you the news that Linda Wilkinson, mother of Chris Wilkinson, has been diagnosed with liver cancer and has been given a very short time to remain amongst us. She is currently in Henderson Hospital in Hamilton. I'm sure that many of you will remember Linda's gentle, quiet presence in camp. She will certainly be very much missed. Frankly, I don't know what Sparky or the kids will do without her.

                    To make matters worse, Chris is currently unavailable, but as far as I know, his email is still receiving messages in the interim -- the last email that I have for him is littlefeatherscrafts(at)yahoo.ca. (Linda does not have email of her own.) However, if you would like to send Linda a card or something directly, the addresses are as follows:

                    Home:
                    George (Sparky) and Linda Wilkinson
                    79 Province St. N.
                    Hamilton, ON
                    L8H 4H5

                    Hospital:
                    Mrs. Linda Wilkinson, Patient,
                    Ward F5, Room 11, Bed 4
                    Henderson Hospital
                    711 Concession Street,
                    Hamilton, ON
                    L8V 1C3

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 19, 2010
                      It's just been brought to my attention that Linda may be transferring hospitals very soon, so sending things to the home address is the best idea for the moment.

                      -- Sioux

                    • Spencer's Mercantile
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                        Many of you will remember Debbie Shepherd, who spent many years re-enacting with us, portraying a voyageur/native. Unbeknown to most of us, she was also fighting valiant battle with cancer over many of the last years. Sadly, she succumbed to the disease on Tuesday. She had spent the afternoon in the spring sunshine, visiting her sister.

                        We will miss her cheery presence and wonderful hospitality in camp, and in life. Her last event was Longwoods last year -- one of her favourite events. I'm ever so grateful that we had a chance to visit a bit then.

                        Funeral arrangements will be through:
                        Eric F. Nicholls Funeral Home

                        639 Elgin St
                        Wallaceburg, Ontario
                        Canada N8A 3C6

                        http://www.ericfnichollsfuneralhome.com/index.cfm

                        Visitation is supposed to be Sunday 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm and funeral on Monday -- no details are posted as of yet, but I understand that they will be shortly.

                        In sadness,

                        -- Sioux

                      • roy winders
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                          Sad news indeed, R.I.P. Debbie.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 29

                            It is with profound sadness that I must report the passing of potter Doug Loveland, known to many of you as the proprietor of the shop Crude Local Pottery. He left us yesterday evening at 9:45 after a long and hard fought battle with cancer.

                            I will post details of any arrangements once they are available.

                            In sorrow,

                            -- Sioux

                          • spencersmerc