Re: Sad news from camp

  • wolf_bna
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 5, 2006
      The British Native Allies would like to express our condolences on the
      passing of Bev Nichols. Bev was also a beloved member of the British
      Native Allies. We shall miss him but his spirit shall always travel
      with us.

      Onenkiwahi Atenkora Okwari
    • Stephen Posner
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 5, 2006
        Susan

        Thank you for letting us know about the sad passing of Bev Nicholls. As you
        said, he was a very good friend to everyone and was always willing to lend a
        hand and have a chat. He will be sorely missed on suttlers row, and in
        reenacting generally.

        Our sincere thoughts and best wishes to his family. He is now in a far
        better place, but he will live on in all our memories.

        Stephen & Karen Posner
      • Elizabeth Woodley
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2006
          It breaks my heart to hear such sad news about the passing of
          Robert "Bev" Nicol. Bev was very close to my heart. He took me under
          his wing when I first started in re-enacting and had many wonderful
          stories and memories to share. I will miss his warm hugs and patience
          teachings in leather work. This last year was very tough on Bev with
          his health failing. He always talked about getting back to camp when
          he was better. I will miss him dearly.
          My condolences to his wife, Roberta (Lil)and the rest of his family.
          Bev, may your journey be easier now and know that your spirit and
          friendship will be held close to my heart.

          Elizabeth Woodley-Hall
          RNR Bugler's Coy
        • Dale Kidd
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
            On behalf of Allison and myself, deepest condolences to Bev's family
            and friends. He will be sadly missed by all in the 1812 reenacting
            community.

            In sympathy,
            Dale Kidd
          • Peter Monahan
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
              On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Bulger's Company, our condolences to Bev's family and friends. He was a good man and a friend to many of us and he will truly be missed. Rest in peace.

              Peter Monahan, RNR
            • bmitcheca
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                On Behalf of myself and my husband Gord, we extend our best wishes to
                Bev's family. Bev will indeed be greatly missed. He was a good
                friend to us and was one of the first to welcome us to sutler's row.
                In our 17 years of re-enacting, we have found that one of the best
                things about this hobby is the people you meet and the friends that
                you make.
                With great sadness and a heavy heart ..
                Beth Mitchell
              • Rick Peterson
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                  On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Skinner's Coy, I would like
                  to extend my condolences to the Nichol family and friends.

                  As some of you may know, Bev was also a very active member of the
                  Hamilton Branch United Empire Loyalists. For many years he donned the
                  Butler's Rangers garb, and was the standard bearer for all their
                  meetings and ceremonies.
                  His loss is far reaching, and will be felt by all those whom he knew.

                  Rick Peterson, RNR
                • Dave Westhouse
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                    On behalf of the 1st Royal Scots Grenadier Company I would like to
                    extend the deepest sympathies of our group to the family of Bev
                    Nichols. It is always so sad to hear of the loss of one of our friends
                    in re-enacting.

                    It was always nice to see Bev in his tent selling his wares. He was a
                    fixture and will be sorely missed. Many a tear shall be shed when his
                    name is read, at Fort Niagara, from the list of members who have moved
                    on to grander pastures.

                    Dave Westhouse, Corporal
                    1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote:

                    > I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                    > friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
                    > from a long illness. Bev had been "on the circuit" for 30 or more
                    years
                    > as a member of Butler's Rangers and as proprietor of Head of the Lakes
                    > Trading Post. Bev was well known for his leatherworking, and in
                    > addition had won numerous prizes for his woodcarving.

                    > In sadness,
                    > -- Sioux
                  • John Harris
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                      My Sincere condolences to Bev's family and friends. It is always sad when we
                      loose a member of our time family.
                      With respect
                      John Harris
                      22nd US Infantry

                      Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:36:17 -0500
                      From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
                      Subject: Sad news from camp

                      I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                      friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
                      from a long illness.
                    • Craig Williams
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
                        Once again we are sadly and greatly diminished.
                        On behalf of the CMHS, I extend heartfelt condolences to Bev's family.
                        I will miss him.

                        Craig Williams
                        On 6-Mar-06, at 5:26 PM, John Harris wrote:

                        > My Sincere condolences to Bev's family and friends. It is always
                        > sad when we
                        > loose a member of our time family.
                        > With respect
                        > John Harris
                        > 22nd US Infantry
                        >

                        > Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:36:17 -0500
                        > From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
                        > Subject: Sad news from camp
                        >
                        > I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                        > friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many
                        > complications
                        > from a long illness.

                        > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
                        > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

                      • roy winders
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 11, 2006
                          Having just returned from my brothers funeral in the u.k, i am saddened by news of Bevs passing, he will truly be missed. Please pass on my deepest simpathy to Bevs family.
                          Roy Winders, B.I.D.
                          Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote: I am deeply saddened to pass on the news that longtime re-enactor,
                          friend, and trader Bev Nichols has passed away after many complications
                          from a long illness. Bev had been "on the circuit" for 30 or more years
                          as a member of Butler's Rangers and as proprietor of Head of the Lakes
                          Trading Post. Bev was well known for his leatherworking, and in
                          addition had won numerous prizes for his woodcarving.

                          It looks at this point like funeral services will be held on Wednesday.
                          I will post the information to everyone as soon as I have it.

                          A piece of my heart has gone with our Bev -- he was such a fixture in
                          camp! He was always ready for a good long chat and he was always up for
                          an adventure. I'll never forget the drive to and from the first Quebec
                          City event with him -- in between getting lost, flat tires, wonky
                          headlights, and trying to order ice cream and get directions in French,
                          we made some great memories.

                          Travel safely onward, my friend -- may your path be easier now, and may
                          you always find a new adventure over the next hill.

                          In sadness,
                          -- Sioux

                          ---------------------------------
                          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                          American Forces Unit Listing
                          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                          United state history United kingdom Living history War of 1812

                          ---------------------------------

                        • Spencer's Mercantile
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 19, 2010
                            Dear folks --

                            I'm very sorry to have to give you the news that Linda Wilkinson, mother of Chris Wilkinson, has been diagnosed with liver cancer and has been given a very short time to remain amongst us. She is currently in Henderson Hospital in Hamilton. I'm sure that many of you will remember Linda's gentle, quiet presence in camp. She will certainly be very much missed. Frankly, I don't know what Sparky or the kids will do without her.

                            To make matters worse, Chris is currently unavailable, but as far as I know, his email is still receiving messages in the interim -- the last email that I have for him is littlefeatherscrafts(at)yahoo.ca. (Linda does not have email of her own.) However, if you would like to send Linda a card or something directly, the addresses are as follows:

                            Home:
                            George (Sparky) and Linda Wilkinson
                            79 Province St. N.
                            Hamilton, ON
                            L8H 4H5

                            Hospital:
                            Mrs. Linda Wilkinson, Patient,
                            Ward F5, Room 11, Bed 4
                            Henderson Hospital
                            711 Concession Street,
                            Hamilton, ON
                            L8V 1C3

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 19, 2010
                              It's just been brought to my attention that Linda may be transferring hospitals very soon, so sending things to the home address is the best idea for the moment.

                              -- Sioux

                            • Spencer's Mercantile
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                                Many of you will remember Debbie Shepherd, who spent many years re-enacting with us, portraying a voyageur/native. Unbeknown to most of us, she was also fighting valiant battle with cancer over many of the last years. Sadly, she succumbed to the disease on Tuesday. She had spent the afternoon in the spring sunshine, visiting her sister.

                                We will miss her cheery presence and wonderful hospitality in camp, and in life. Her last event was Longwoods last year -- one of her favourite events. I'm ever so grateful that we had a chance to visit a bit then.

                                Funeral arrangements will be through:
                                Eric F. Nicholls Funeral Home

                                639 Elgin St
                                Wallaceburg, Ontario
                                Canada N8A 3C6

                                http://www.ericfnichollsfuneralhome.com/index.cfm

                                Visitation is supposed to be Sunday 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm and funeral on Monday -- no details are posted as of yet, but I understand that they will be shortly.

                                In sadness,

                                -- Sioux

                              • roy winders
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                                  Sad news indeed, R.I.P. Debbie.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 29

                                    It is with profound sadness that I must report the passing of potter Doug Loveland, known to many of you as the proprietor of the shop Crude Local Pottery. He left us yesterday evening at 9:45 after a long and hard fought battle with cancer.

                                    I will post details of any arrangements once they are available.

                                    In sorrow,

                                    -- Sioux

                                  • spencersmerc