Naval Gun Drill at Fort McHenry (34 Pix)

  • Vince Wilding
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2006
      It was a bitterly cold day at Ft. McHenry, but that Miserable Bas....
      Bloke Mr. Buck called drill, so drill we did! We reviewed the
      differences between shore battery and shipboard gun drills before we all
      came to the realization that it was to freakin' COLD to be outside! So
      we retired to the nice warm barracks for discussion and a nice bit of
      Boiled Baby. (AKA Drowned Baby; a suet, flour & raisin pudding) We all
      agreed it would be fruitful to hold a drill on another (WARMER) day.

      Apologies to Mr. Buck, somehow I managed to NOT get a good picture of
      him, and him being the event coordinator and all. Thanks Michael!

      The Pix are at: http://www.WincingDevil.com/GunDrillFeb06/

      --
      *Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow*
      Splotch, Fuzzee and Minnie's Majordomo --- http://www.ILoveMySphynx.com

    • Tom Russell
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2006
        Vince,

        If you don't mind a Brit Marine for a gunner, I would like to come to the
        'next' drill;
        if it is possible AND there are no objections !!!

        Thank you.

        Tom Russell
        Royal Marines
      • JGIL1812@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2006
          In a message dated 2/26/2006 6:35:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          vince@... writes:

          http://www.WincingDevil.com/GunDrillFeb06/

          Vince,

          Please pass my regards along to Mr. Buck. I do believe he has become kinder
          and gentler in his "old age".

          Sincerely,
          John Gilmour
          Captain RE

        • Vince Wilding
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
            From Michael Buck:

            There will be another Gun Drill at the Water Battery of Fort McHenry.
            Tentative dates would be Sunday, 12 March and Sunday 26 March (my money
            is on the 26th) from 1:00 until about 4:00 or so. Again, all are
            invited; all I need is a head count for the next gourmet treat. Vince
            Wilding will make the proper sacrifice to the Patapsco for warmer
            weather.

            For the Royal Marines, the Fort would like to ask if you wouldn't mind
            dressing as US Corps of Art'y (we can provide loaner coatees) or sling
            on sailors' jackets.

            As before, these sessions are designed to address different drills,
            discuss practical implementation and techniques, and offer opinions on
            how to present such to the public. Since there were 10-11 present last
            time, if we gather enough participants, we could organize a second gun
            crew, with requisite competitions.

            Many thanks, and I hope to hear from you,
            Michael Buck

            .
            Tom Russell wrote:
            > Vince,
            >
            > If you don't mind a Brit Marine for a gunner, I would like to come to the
            > 'next' drill;
            > if it is possible AND there are no objections !!!
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Tom Russell
            > Royal Marines

            > THOUSANDS of square miles...

            > ---------------------------------
            > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            >
            > American Forces Unit Listing
            > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            > Living history
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Living+history&w1=Living+history&w2=United+kingdom&w3=United+state+history&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=8lp3lgwM2DsGLuFCC0cv-Q>
            > United kingdom
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=United+kingdom&w1=Living+history&w2=United+kingdom&w3=United+state+history&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=0alcKqH7mVx_B97y5mAHCg>
            > United state history
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=United+state+history&w1=Living+history&w2=United+kingdom&w3=United+state+history&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=BON5xiZqdvg17ehFKlbGRQ>
            >
            > War of 1812
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=War+of+1812&w1=Living+history&w2=United+kingdom&w3=United+state+history&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=kvPVGIwOFC7UOo-hsvJOLA>

            *Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow*
            Splotch, Fuzzee and Minnie's Majordomo --- http://www.ILoveMySphynx.com
            Vince (at) VinceWilding (dot) com --- http://www.VinceWilding.com
            Piratical and reenacting stuff --- http://www.WincingDevil.com
            Just call me "Popo"! --- http://www.CallMePopo.com
            *MSN:* vwilding *AOL:* WincingDevil *Yahoo:* Wincing_Devil
            /When the cat and mouse agree, the grocer is ruined. -Persian Fable/