Tecumsehs' bones

  • fordsboy39
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      It seems as if Tecumseh has been elevated to near mythic status. His
      accomplishments in his attempts to create a native confederacy deserve
      all due credit and his death was certainly a blow to the cause of
      native unity. That being said it would appear to me that many Native
      American warriors and chiefs have had their memory preserved by white
      Americans in some way. For instance: Pontiac- a car and a city,
      Blackhawk- a hockey team, Geronimo- paratrooper yell, Tecumseh- small
      internal combustion engine, Sitting Bull- a member of Buffalo Bill's
      Wild West Show, Crazy Horse is or has been carved into a mountain in
      the fashion of Mount Rushmore. I am sure there are many more examples
      but those are the few that come to mind at the moment. Canadian Native
      warriors and chiefs seem relegated to obscurity or a couple of
      sentences in a history text. Ask most Canadians who Joseph Brant is and
      they might be able to answer corectly. Ask them who John Norton is or
      who Poundmaker is and you will most likely get a blank stare. I mean no
      disrespect to anyone. Thank you.
      Gil Martin