Re: [WarOf1812] TECUMSEH'S Bones

  • Bill Sharrette
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
      I have a good Wyandot friend on Walpol Island (located in the St. Clair River between Canada and the US) who claims Tecumseh's remains were brought to the Island after he battle, and he now resides under a wooden porch of a 150 year old house. His argument is convincing in part, but myths abound.

      Bill Sharrette

      toddjune <toddjune@...> wrote:
      Here is a newspaper article regarding the subject.

      http://www.spiritofbothwell.com/story.php?id=196192

      Tecumseh's Bones: author on the trail of a Canadian legend

      Larissa Brittan
      Wednesday November 16, 2005

      Legend says that no one will ever know where Shawnee Chief
      Tecumseh's bones are buried. But Guy St-Denis thinks he might have
      solved the mystery anyway.
      On Nov. 8, the London-area author held a reading and book-signing
      for his work, Tecumseh's Bones, which was released in May. In it, he
      describes his theory of where the famous chief's remains could be.
      "In 1845, Benjamin Springer was sent by the government to do a
      survey of Plank Road - what is now Longwoods Road. He decided to
      plot the exact location of Tecumseh's death. In his survey notes and
      on his map, he indicates where the location is, and it's Lot 4, Gore
      of Zone Township," St-Denis said.
      The farm on Lot 4 still stands, just a little northeast of the
      Tecumseh Monument on the highway between Bothwell and Thamesville.
      St-Denis theorizes that the farmer who bought Lot 4 in the mid-
      1800s - James Dickson - found a grove of carved walnut trees with
      six skeletons buried beneath them. One of these skeletons, St-Denis
      says, must be Tecumseh's.
      St-Denis presented to over 50 people at the Jim Kish Theatre in
      Bothwell's Town Hall building last Tuesday after an invitation from
      the Bothwell-Zone and District Historical Society.
      He became interested in the mystery of Tecumseh's remains after
      visiting Fairfield Museum with his family in 1972.
      "The curator mentioned that Tecumseh had been killed and nobody knew
      what happened to his body. It just stuck with me. I began collecting
      tidbits and after 15 years of research, I was able to produce my
      manuscript," St-Denis said.
      St-Denis is currently working to recruit surveyors and
      archaeologists to further examine the Lot 4 farm. He says that
      historically, Tecumseh came to the Battle of the Longwoods between
      two swamps on the Lot 4 property, and surveys of the modern land
      could narrow down where the chief made his last stand and give even
      further information on where his bones could be buried.

      ---------------------------------
      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Listing
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Living history United state history United kingdom War of 1812

      ---------------------------------

    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
        From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

        Also, Mr Lozon, this is ONE of the many supposed grave sights for the great
        chief.

        Mr. Monahan, Sergeant Major, CFNA,

        Having lived in Chatham, Ontario for most of my life. I have heard
        that Tecumseh is buried in a great number of sites in the area.

        I have even seen two tomb stones supposed to be his.

        I believe the warriors took his body and buried it secretly and 'NO ONE'
        knows the exact spot where he is buried.

        BTW: Tecumseh was not a Chief, according to research ... he was a warrior, a
        great orator but not a Chief

        May I suggest you talk to Wolf Thomas about this and Mr. Norton

        Yrs.,
        L2
        PS: Were you not at Wolf's Lecture? ... he talked about Tecumseh and Norton.
      • lalozon
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
          From: "toddjune" <toddjune@...>

          " Here is a newspaper article regarding the subject .... Legend says that no
          one will ever know where Shawnee Chief Tecumseh's bones are buried. But Guy
          St-Denis thinks he might have solved the mystery anyway..."

          Thank you Toddjune,

          For the information of those who do not live in Southwestern Ontario like
          the Squire ...

          Mark Dickerson, Field Commander of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regt - Light
          Company, lived on the battlefield.

          Mark's father farmed the battlefield and if you drive along #2 Highway
          (Longwoods Road) you can see the battlefield across the road from the Park
          where the monument is today.

          The Fairfield Museum down the road has artefacts found on the field
          visit
          http://www.uccanlonconf.org/divisions/F%20&%20A/fairfld.htm

          Yrs.,
          L2
        • Peter Monahan
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
            Mr Lozon

            You know how some people speak before they think? Well' I type faster than I think. (not hard, I know). I know'knew Tecumseh was not a chief, any more than he was a British brigadier general, many paintings to the contrary. Yes, I heard our brother Wolf's speech. Tecumseh was not the only nor even necessarily the greatest leader of native troops in 1812-14, but he did have a huge impact on the popular memory of the war and as a beacon, I believe, for Native resistance to white cultural and politicaldomination

            In answer to another writer, the bokk inquestion seems to dispel the legend that T's bones are under the offical monument on Walpole Island, never mind under a porch. I like Wolf's answer: "He sleeps in Mother Earth". Where and which bits of someone's skeleton are under any given memorial rock is far less important than the fact that so many people felt him worthy of commemoration and still do!

            Peter Monahan, Sgt Major, BNA Brigade

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
              From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

              Mr Lozon

              I know'knew Tecumseh was not a chief, any more than he was a British
              brigadier general, many paintings to the contrary.

              Sergeant Major,

              I knew you knew (did I say that correctly) and I also knew that you
              were at Wolf's speech ...
              I just thot I would cement the fact that Tecumseh was not a Chief.

              I hear that the a British Brigadier General thingie was due to an incident
              at Fort Ameherstburg (Malden).

              "Tecumseh had given Brock a woven sash so Brock gave him a scarlet officer's
              coat.
              On leaving the building Tecumseh was seen talking to a warrior who was
              wearing a higher rank scarlet coat then Tecumseh so Brock hearing of this he
              gave him a British Brigadier General's coat so he would not be out ranked"
              .... (ole wife's tale?!? ... you be the judge.)

              Also Tecumseh was reported to be a Freemason ... for a man who hated whites
              as much as he did ... I doubt he would enter an organisation such as the
              Masons

              He was a great man and that is when the stories start .....

              Yrs.,
              L2
            • Gordon Deans
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
                Larry, Peter;

                > Mark Dickerson, Field Commander of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regt - Light
                Company,
                > lived on the battlefield.

                It is not new to me now that you both knew what you know, but it would be
                news to me if either of you knows if Mark Dickerson has any great relics to
                show for his time on the battlefield? Also, do you know which lot that his
                father's farm was on?

                Gord Deans
              • lalozon
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
                  From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>

                  Larry, Peter;

                  Gord

                  as noted in my original email

                  NOTE: Peter Twist is not a subscriber of this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group

                  as far as

                  " if Mark Dickerson has any great relics to show for his time on the
                  battlefield? "

                  and

                  "... do you know which lot that his father's farm was on?

                  You would have to contact Mark directly regarding this information

                  Yrs.,
                  L2
                • Casey Coleman
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Hello everyone... I usually don't reply to the things written in the yahoogroup, for I find it interesting just to sit back and read what is written by everyone else. However, being a first nations person, I feel that I should say something on the topic of Tecumseh's remains... I have heard many stories of what happened to Tecumseh after he died. Many people believe that he was buried shortly after which, as most of you know, there was no time to. The story that I am more inclined to believe would have been that his body was passed on from village to village, tribe to tribe, to finally rest where the American's could not get what little remained of him. I wouldn't think that he would pass into Mohawk hands, due to the fact that he had few followers from the band.

                    Case "Masta" C.

                    we will always remember you
                    Jay "Masta" J.

                  • wolf_bna
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2006
                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Casey Coleman <colemancase@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hello everyone... I usually don't reply to the things written in
                      the yahoogroup, for I find it interesting just to sit back and read
                      what is written by everyone else. However, being a first nations
                      person, I feel that I should say something on the topic of
                      Tecumseh's remains...I wouldn't think that he would pass into Mohawk
                      hands, due to the fact that he had few followers from the band.

                      > Case "Masta" C.
                      >
                      > we will always remember you
                      > Jay "Masta" J.

                      Seko rontatatekena,
                      Skennen ken

                      Understand that I mean no disrespect in my response to your post.

                      You mention that you are a "First Nations Person" and as such you
                      should be aware of the burial conspiracy that I mentioned in my

                      You also slam the Mohawk Nation's involvement in "handling Tecumseh's
                      body" in regards to what you think. You base your thought on "the
                      fact that he (Tecumseh) had few followers from the (Mohawk) band."

                      Tecumseh did not have to recruit followers from the Six Nations
                      because the Six Nations had already been allied to eachother for one
                      thousand eight hundred years. As I explained in my previous post the
                      Peacemaker Tekanawita (a Weyndot or Huron) had already set out to
                      bring all of the Nations of North and South America together as one
                      people 1,800 years before Tecumseh.

                      Tecumseh and Mohawk War Chief Teyoninhokarawen were good friends.
                      Approximately 50 Grand River warriors fought with Tecumseh in his
                      area of opperations. After Tecumseh was killed at the Thames many of
                      his followers took refuge at Grand River including Tenskwatawa (the
                      prophet) his brother. Some of the Shawnee and the other western
                      Nations decendants still live here at Grand River to this day.

                      In order to safeguard Tecumseh's remains ALL of the British allied
                      Nations in the vicinity took part in a conspiracy to keep the
                      location secret forever. This was accomplished by having
                      several "grave sites" provided in several communities throughout
                      various locations in the region. We also have one here at Grand River.

                      In closing I'd like to mention that we do not refer to ourselves as
                      bands! A band provides music for patrons in a bar on week-ends. We
                      are Sovereign peoples and refer to ourselves as Nations.

                      Of coarse you don't have to take my word for anything that I have
                      stated. Therefore, I offer to you my personal invitation to come to
                      Grand River Territory to speak to the Six Nations people or to the
                      people of the Shawnee Nation the next time they come to visit us.

                      If you are interested please let me know and I will make all of the
                      necessary arangements.

                      Niawen ikhsa's,
                      Okwaho Ronnatanonnha
                    • CalvertMck@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2006
                        In a message dated 2/2/2006 7:56:17 AM Central Standard Time,
                        britishnativeallies@... writes:

                        Tecumseh did not have to recruit followers from the Six Nations
                        because the Six Nations had already been allied to eachother for one
                        thousand eight hundred years. As I explained in my previous post the
                        Peacemaker Tekanawita (a Weyndot or Huron) had already set out to
                        bring all of the Nations of North and South America together as one
                        people 1,800 years before Tecumseh.
                        If the Nations leaders had it to do all over again, do you think the Weyndot
                        would be successful in bringing all of the Nations, north and south together
                        to explore unity past, present and future? Could this have changed the
                        history of the discovery process?

                        Tecumseh and Mohawk War Chief Teyoninhokarawen were good friends.
                        Approximately 50 Grand River warriors fought with Tecumseh in his
                        area of opperations. After Tecumseh was killed at the Thames many of
                        his followers took refuge at Grand River including Tenskwatawa (the
                        prophet) his brother. Some of the Shawnee and the other western
                        Nations decendants still live here at Grand River to this day.

                        If the friendship of the leaders were strong enough and the warriors for
                        Grand River were still interested in the same area of operations - maybe the
                        historical reports of Tecumseh were not reported correctly and Tecumseh were
                        mearly wounded and not killed? Maybe the death was of slow nature, and due to
                        complications of his wounds - this would have provided Tecumseh to bestow what
                        made him sucessful over his nation to his best warriors to enable them to
                        continue his legacy - but a price worth prolonging the agony of a slow and
                        painful death due to complication and infection of his wounds. And the shot that
                        he took in the rear end which was not accurately documented in history as his
                        "pain in the ass" and thus the historical beginnings of such sematics.
                        Strictly opinion of course and not a historical representation, but a a dillusion
                        of some of his followers.

                        In order to safeguard Tecumseh's remains ALL of the British allied
                        Nations in the vicinity took part in a conspiracy to keep the
                        location secret forever. This was accomplished by having
                        several "grave sites" provided in several communities throughout
                        various locations in the region. We also have one here at Grand River.

                        Grand Ri ver and the many other "grave sites" should be honored to host the
                        remains of Tecumseh's - I am sure some have altered their plans to make the
                        grave site more accomodating for the "resting place", however Tecumseh had not
                        requested or conveyed this to the newer warriors in the nation. However, if
                        Tecumseh were to request this in todays nations the request would be honored
                        to accomodate the needs or plans modified to insure his worthy warrior site
                        needs were met.

                        Strictly opinions and postulations of a non-posting lurker.

                      • yawors1@uwindsor.ca
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2006
                          I must confess I was stunned to read the following:

[...]

                          I have never seen any of this suggested in any source, primary or
                          secondary, that I have come across so far. Are these musings just
                          supposition, based on wishful thinking? If there are serious sources for
                          these statements, I'm sure we'd all like to hear about them.

                          Harrison was quite sure Tecumseh had been killed. He knew Tecumseh by
                          sight. So how could he have been so sure, if he didn't see the body? I
                          haven't read Harrison's papers so I don't know the particulars of what he
                          had to say on this - can anybody enlighten us?

                          There are primary sources that involve officers of the 41st Regiment who
                          were captured at Moraviantown, who were shown a number of bodies after the
                          battle and asked to verify the identities of any they knew. All these
                          officers knew Tecumseh well by sight.

                          Not to be unduly gruesome, but they state they saw Tecumseh's body, and it
                          had been most foully mutilated, presumably by "souvenir hunters". It is
                          difficult in the year 2006 to get yourself in the frame of mind where you
                          can understand the motivation for somebody wanting a razor strop or
                          tobacco pouch made out of human skin. But there you go - it happened in
                          frontier warfare.

                          If the officers' first-hand accounts are true, and there is no apparent
                          reason why they would be lying, then it would seem very unlikely that
                          Tecumseh's remains could be recovered until the Americans withrew towards
                          Detroit. This withdrawal did happen fairly quickly, Harrison withdrew
                          towards Detroit the day after the battle. In the interim, were these
                          bodies buried on the field? I believe the British casualties were buried,
                          but were the Native Warriors who had been killed left out to rot? We must
                          recognize the racism that pervaded "civilized" attitudes to "savages" at
                          the time of the War of 1812 - and long after, unfortunately.

                          I haven't run across anything yet that details what happened to these
                          bodies after the British officers saw them, then were led off towards
                          eventual captivity in Ohio and Kentucky. So it's not impossible that a
                          body could have been recovered a day or two after the battle, whether by
                          digging up all the new graves until the body was found, or finding it
                          still lying on the field. Either way, the body must have been in rough
                          shape. The point here is that Tecumseh's body - dead or alive - was
                          apparently not carried back to "safety" (from disrespectful acts of
                          American frontiersmen, presumably) by Native Warriors as they retreated
                          from the field. At best, it was recovered a day or two later, after
                          having been foully mutilated.

                          Hero myths are actually a very interesting field of study. It is
                          instructive to compare some recurring stories about great figures. One
                          story is the idea that the hero doesn't die, but is off somewhere sleeping
                          until needed again (King Arthur, Sir Francis Drake, etc.).
                          The psychology behind all such stories seems clearer if you stand back and
                          look at them as a group. Put simply, a profound sense of loss leads to a
                          certain amount of wishful thinking.

                          Jim Yaworsky
                          41st

                        • wolf_bna
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2006
                            As I am not Shawnee I cannot speak on their behalf. I can however
                            relay what I have been told by them as well as my Nation's own oral
                            history.

                            I have never heard any such story that claimed Tecumseh was carried
                            from the field alive only to die at some other time and location. It
                            is not within our oral history nor what I've heard from the Shawnee,
                            the Lenape, or the Chippawas of the Themes, Walpole Island, Stoney
                            and Kettle Points etc.

                            The oral history has always been clear that he was killed in the
                            battle and his body was recovered. The military tradition (especially
                            among the U.S. Army's Rangers) of recovering the bodies of their
                            fellow soldiers from the field can trace it's roots to this Native
                            trait. If the bodies were removed by the American or British soldiers
                            and even buried by them, they still would have been recovered by the
                            Natives. I am not at liberty to detail the ceremony we call Ohkiweh
                            or "The Feast Of The Dead" but, it involves the remains of our
                            ancestors. It is just as important as the Condolence at death.

                            At the Battle of Oriskany during the American Revolutionary War, the
                            bodies of ALL of the Seneca and Mohawk Warriors were recovered and
                            given the proper ceremonies to send them to the Spirit World. An
                            extremely important ritual among Native people. The bodies of the
                            Tryon County Militia still lay where they fell on the battle field to
                            this day.

                            The "burial site conspiracy" was devised by the Nations to detour
                            anyone from finding and desecrating his resting place.

                            For example Joseph Brant's remains are not buried at the Mohawk
                            Chapel. His tomb was desecrated at the turn of the 20th century and
                            his remains were taken and are lost forever. This is what the people
                            were trying to prevent back then.
                          • lalozon
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2006
                              From: <yawors1@...>

                              " I must confess I was stunned to read the following: "maybe the historical
                              reports of .. Tecumseh were mearly wounded and not killed? ... Harrison was
                              quite sure Tecumseh had been killed. He knew Tecumseh by
                              sight ...they state they saw Tecumseh's body, and it had been most foully
                              mutilated, presumably by "souvenir hunters".

                              From: "wolf_bna" <britishnativeallies@...>

                              I have never heard any such story that claimed Tecumseh was carried
                              from the field alive only to die at some other time and location.

                              I agree with Mr. Yaworsky and Mr. Thomas

                              Members of Ken Hall's 'Kentucky Light Dragoons' who have visited the
                              Kentucky museums and have photos of a captured 41st Regiment drum, a lantern
                              shade supposedly made from a piece of Tecumseh's back skin, etc., relics
                              from the Battle of the Thames brought back to Kentucky by members of the
                              Kentucky Forces who fought at the Battle of the Thames.

                              They have also researched documents that reports the 'Kentucky Light
                              Dragoons' and USA Forces victory at the Battle of the Thames and that
                              Tecumseh was killed and identified as the Shawnee known as 'Tecumthe'.

                              James Alexander Thom states that his book "PANTHER IN THE SKY"
                              ISBN:0-345-30596-5 which chronicles the life of Tecumseh, was researched
                              from original documents and Shawnee oral history which state Tecumseh was
                              killed during the Battle of the Thames.

                              As does John Sugden author of "TECUMSEH'S LAST STAND" ISBN: 0-8061-1944-6

                              Altho reports verify for sure that Elvis is alive and works at a gas station
                              in Hamtramik Michigan ....

                              Yrs.,
                              L2
                            • Peter Monahan
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 2, 2006
                                Mr Yaworski

                                My reaction to the post you quote was the same as yours: shock. It was less than coherent and perhaps, to be charitable, an attempt to be humourous. as really "out there" speculation, I would suggest that it is an unprofitable avenue in which to invest much further discussion.

                                Peter Monahan, Sgt Major, CFNA

                                " I must confess I was stunned to read the following: "maybe the historical reports of .. Tecumseh were mearly wounded and not killed? ...

                                Harrison was quite sure Tecumseh had been killed. He knew Tecumseh by
                                sight ...they state they saw Tecumseh's body, and it had been most foully mutilated, presumably by "souvenir hunters".

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 2, 2006
                                  This web page deals with several "first hand" accounts of Tecumseh's death.
                                  http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Cove/8286/tdeath.html
                                  enjoy

                                  Scott McD.

                                • Tom Fournier
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    From one of Wolf's postings:

                                    "That can be attributed to British Alligence and a Mohawk War Chief
                                    named Teyoninhokarawen! I'll bet nobody has ever heard of him (trick
                                    question)?"

                                    Oh oh a trick question ...I was going to try Major John Norton ...

                                    On another note, Wolf thank you for sharing your oral traditions and
                                    your thoughts. To me they are a generous contribution, impactful and
                                    the cause for reflection. It is impossible to picture the potential
                                    outcomes of the conflict without considering your forefathers' many
                                    significant contributions.

                                    Your ally and your servant,

                                    Tom Fournier
                                    41st Regiment of Foot
                                  • wolf_bna
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 4, 2006
                                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier"
                                      <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

                                      > From one of Wolf's postings:
                                      >
                                      > "That can be attributed to British Alligence and a Mohawk War Chief
                                      > named Teyoninhokarawen! I'll bet nobody has ever heard of him (trick
                                      > question)?"
                                      >
                                      > Oh oh a trick question ...I was going to try Major John Norton ...
                                      >
                                      > On another note, Wolf thank you for sharing your oral traditions
                                      and
                                      > your thoughts. To me they are a generous contribution, impactful
                                      and
                                      > the cause for reflection. It is impossible to picture the
                                      potential
                                      > outcomes of the conflict without considering your forefathers' many
                                      > significant contributions.
                                      >
                                      > Your ally and your servant,
                                      >
                                      > Tom Fournier
                                      > 41st Regiment of Foot

                                      Mr. Fournier...and all

                                      Sir,

                                      You are most welcome! Congratulations on the trick question!
                                      Teyoninhokarawen is indeed Major John Norton. However, the average
                                      Canadian doesn't know who he was.

                                      It is our earnest hope that we do not offend anyone but rather
                                      explain our history as it pertains to us. The difficult part of re-
                                      enacting for us is that we are charged with maintaining and telling
                                      our Nations' history as it has been passed down from those we speak
                                      about. We still have a Nation and a Clan to anwser to should our
                                      actions become dishonorable.

                                      We have the precarious responsibility to speak on behalf of our
                                      ancestors and ultimately our people. In doing so we often find
                                      ourselves in a battle of our history versus someone else's version.
                                      At times it can become extremely frustrating. As you witnessed at the
                                      41st Lecture I expressed the notion that most of the "written"
                                      historical accounts were not lies so much as they were "cultural
                                      misunderstandings."

                                      As you are aware you (and anyone else) are always welcome at our camp
                                      to discuss our history and culture.

                                      In Peace and Friendship,

                                      Capt. Wolf Thomas BNA
                                    • Stalin15@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 7, 2006
                                        This is an essay I wrote about on the topic of Tecumseh's body:

                                        Tecumseh: From Confusion to Legacy”
                                        The War of 1812 is often considered a forgotten war in the minds of most
                                        Americans. From the beginning, the war went badly for the Americans, and
                                        blunders were abound on the fighting fronts. The results of the Treaty of Ghent,
                                        which ended the war, maintained the “status quos,” meaning each side will
                                        revert themselves to a pre-war position. Despite the apparent tie, the war
                                        created many folk heroes and events that live on to this day. Andrew Jackson won
                                        a huge victory at the Battle of New Orleans, which was later immortalized in
                                        a song. The president’s house was burned by the British, and with a new coat
                                        of paint, became the White House. Lastly, Tecumseh, the leader of an
                                        Indian confederation, was killed at the Battle of the Thames (1814). While, the
                                        other events and heroes have a clear-cut victor and story, the story of
                                        Tecumseh is unique. The tale of his death at the hands of the Americans has been
                                        conflicting and shrouded in mystery. The result of his mysterious demise
                                        has turned Tecumseh into a malleable figure and propelled him from confusion to
                                        legacy.
                                        The death of Tecumseh has often been a controversial issue and some of the
                                        sources have become politically tainted, as his death became a political warm
                                        spot during the 1840 presidential campaign. However, “[t]here exists no less
                                        than forty-five (perhaps considerable more!) accounts”_[1]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn1) of his death. These differing accounts are the fuels
                                        that enhance Tecumseh’s mysterious death, as the competing players (British,
                                        Americans, Indians) all have differing accounts of what happened to his
                                        body. This paper will look at several claims of these three nations in order to
                                        examine the confusion and creditability in thier claims.
                                        In order to examine the claims, some background about the Battle of the
                                        Thames needs to be considered. William Henry Harrison was commanding the
                                        Americans, while the British were under command of General Procter and the Indians,
                                        who were allied with the British, were under the control of Tecumseh. A
                                        small swamp separated the forces. The Americans had around 3000 men arranged
                                        such that they could swoop in, destroy the British lines, and descend upon the
                                        Indians_[2]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn2) (see appendix A). Col.
                                        Richard Mentor Johnson, leader of the Kentucky mounted rifles, was directed
                                        “to take [the] ground to the left and forming upon that flank to endeavor to
                                        turn the right of the Indians”._[3]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn3)
                                        There are differing accounts of how many troops the British and Indians
                                        had. Some put it as low as 1200_[4]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn4)
                                        or as high as 2500;_[5]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn5) either way
                                        the British and Indians were considerably outnumbered.
                                        The battle itself lasted less then thirty minutes. Colonel Johnson, who was
                                        on the left, charged to the right of the British line along with other
                                        mounted men. This opened the door for additional infantry to pour through. The
                                        British regulars “dispirited by long continued exposure and privation made but
                                        a feeble resistance”_[6]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn6) and lasted
                                        only a few minutes before surrendering. With the British left broken, and
                                        Proctor fleeing, the Americans dismounted and converged upon the Indians.
                                        Colonel Johnson was wounded “in a very painful part-his knuckles [and] in his
                                        body”_[7]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn7) whlie leading this charge,
                                        but was still able to aim and kill a tall, athletic and black-eyed warrior
                                        with a dark complexion._[8]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn8)
                                        Additional American troops broke through the swamp on the left and formed upon the
                                        Indian rear. The fighting between the Kentuckians and Indians was short,
                                        close-quarters and destructive. The natives lasted only a short while and in the “
                                        usual Indian way Tecumseh’s warriors scattered and faded back through the
                                        swamp”_[9]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn9) leaving only thirty-three
                                        dead behind on the ground. It is among these thirty-three dead that Tecumseh’s
                                        legacy starts.
                                        The first claim by the Americans is that Colonel Richard Mentor Johnson
                                        killed Tecumseh. However, as John Sugden, a professor at Hereward College in
                                        England, points out, “[the] accounts from the Johnston camp fail to establish
                                        that Tecumseh was killed by the Colonel,”_[10]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn10) as many of the accounts are contradictory and have been used to
                                        further his political career. Further evidence is gathered from his
                                        appearance. Tecumseh was said to have a “face oval rather then angular [. . .] his
                                        eyes clear, transparent hazel [. . .] and his complexion more of a light brown
                                        or tan”_[11]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn11) and not that of the
                                        black-eyed warrior that Johnson claimed to have killed. Additionally, the
                                        wounds of Tecumseh needs to be called into quiestion. Benson Lossing, who wrote
                                        the first comprehensive story of the War of 1812, recites Johnson’s claim to
                                        have killed Tecumseh outright with a pistol shot through the head._[12]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn12) However, William Caldwell remembers
                                        overtaking and passing Tecumseh after the fight and noticed that a rifle bullet
                                        penetrated his breast through his hunting coat._[13]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn13) This contradictory evidence suggests that the traditional
                                        claim of Johnson killing Tecumseh is at least problematic if not unfounded.
                                        Another traditional claim that has been purported is that Tecumseh was
                                        disfigured and skinned by the Americans. General George Sanderson, who was a
                                        captain in the American army and who knew Tecumseh, “saw the Kentucky troops in
                                        the very act of cutting the skin from the body of the chief”._[14]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn14) This cannot be taken too seriously, as other
                                        evidence suggests that “[a] fallen Potawatamie brave was probably taken for
                                        Tecumseh [. . .] and mutilated.”_[15]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn15) Additional evidence, coming from Tecumseh’s Indian friend Shabeni
                                        (Roundhead), in Sugden’s book, reinforces the claim that Tecumseh was, “by the side
                                        of [. . .] another Indian whose skin has been taken off [and his] body has
                                        not been touched”._[16]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn16) General
                                        Harrison, as reported by Allan Eckert, who wrote a biography of Tecumseh, viewed
                                        the mutilated body and thought, “it much too small”._[17]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn17) This just adds to the confusion and contradictory
                                        evidence serves to expand Tecumseh’s legacy. This expansion of Tecumseh’s
                                        legacy is furthered, in that his body has never been discovered..
                                        Many people have claimed to possess Tecumseh’s body, or that they or know
                                        what happened to his body. The Sac chief, Black Hawk claims that “Tecumseh’s
                                        body was taken away and buried some five miles from the battlefield”._[18]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn18) This claim is supported by General
                                        Procter’s native interpreter Clarke, who “asserted positively that Tecumseh
                                        was killed, and his body was carried off by the Indians”._[19]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn19) David Edmunds, in an article for Timeline
                                        magazine, suggestes that, “Since most of the slain were buried in a mass grave near
                                        the battlefield, Tecumseh probably was interred with his fallen warriors”
                                        ._[20]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn20) Furthermore, Walpole Island
                                        has built a memorial cairn that supposedly has Tecumseh’s bones interred in it,
                                        while Sugden reports a claim that “Tecumseh’s body was presented to the
                                        British [. . .] who took it to Sandwhich for burial”._[21]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn21) The last claim, belongs to Shawnee tradition, and might
                                        be the best supported claim as to the location of Tecumseh’s body. Thier
                                        claim states, “No white man knows, or ever will know, where we took the body of
                                        our beloved Tecumseh and buried him. Tecumseh will come again!”_[22]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn22) As shown by the differing claims,
                                        Tecumseh’s death is an enigma that probably will never be solved.
                                        The final moments of Tecumseh’s life are in dispute. Nobody is quite sure
                                        who killed him, what happened to his body or even where his body is located.
                                        History is abound in examples of individuals who are killed in mysterious ways
                                        but who are later glorified. A cursory look in the twentieth century
                                        reveals examples such as John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Mahatma
                                        Gandhi. Tecumseh is not unique in being glorified but because he represented a
                                        minority and a dying way of life he appeals to both Natives and Americans.
                                        His name and spirit lives on in myth, mysticism and in the minds of people,
                                        not just on a sign.
                                        All cultures need, “people who embody ideals and aspirations about whom a
                                        national identity can be hung [. . .] [i]ndians need such figures too”._[23]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn23) For America he fits the ideal
                                        American mold. Throughout his life he exhibited those qualities that Americans
                                        consider worthy. General Leslie Combs recalled Tecumseh saving his life at the
                                        Ft. Miami Massacre and noted that he, “ [displayed] noble countenance, gallant
                                        bearing [a] sonorous voice [while having] something noble and commanding in
                                        all his actions”._[24]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn24) As Edmunds
                                        points out these characteristics make “Tecumseh seem more ‘civilized’ and
                                        therefore more acceptable”_[25]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn25) to
                                        a white culture. Also, he is an American hero. Tecumseh was the underdog
                                        trying to unite a people from an outside source. Americans could also relate
                                        to Tecumseh as a patriot as he was advocating freedom and was willing to risk
                                        death to fight for what he believed was right for the confederation. Themes
                                        like those mentioned have been tangible and enduring to America since the
                                        revolution.
                                        Tecumseh has been exalted not only by his own tribe but by all Native
                                        Americans as well. To oppressed groups whose lands are routinely lost and culture
                                        systematically destroyed Tecumseh represents hope. Hope is shown in a
                                        Shawnee legend that “predicted a second coming [. . .] by the flight of a star
                                        across the heavens. When that day came all Indian tribes would unite”._[26]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn26) Indeed, Tecumseh’s confederation was
                                        made up of numerous Indian tribes. Tecumseh’s opposition to intertribal
                                        hostilities and for promoting peace and mutual support has made Tecumseh a
                                        powerful pan-Indian symbol. This symbol is enlarged through his mysticism.
                                        Tecumseh was a visionary in the most literal sense. Tecumseh visited Creek
                                        country to invite them to join his confederation and won many over, especially
                                        after predicting the 1811 earthquake in that nation. He also, “predicted the
                                        falling of stars would prove the Indians’ ability to defeat the Americans”
                                        _[27]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn27) while his brother seemed to be
                                        a “purveyor of mystic mumbo-jumbo.”_[28]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn28) Especially, after the Battle of Tippecanoe (1811) when Tecumseh’s
                                        bother promised medicine that would make Indians invulnerable to bullets but
                                        proved to be ineffective. The visions allowed Tecumseh to evolve past his
                                        brother and take control of the confederation and change it from a religious
                                        movement to a political movement that appealed to all Indians no matter what
                                        tribe. Tecumseh also prophesized his own death at the Battle of the Thames
                                        rather then surrender to the Americans._[29]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn29) The resurrection of Tecumseh is something that Shawnee tradition (as
                                        previously stated) encourages. Thus, the duality of mysticism and myth
                                        associated with Tecumseh has allowed him to enter the minds of America.
                                        Tecumseh has been immortalized in popular culture and, “the aura of Tecumseh’
                                        s fame has been felt on both sides of the St. Lawrence”_[30]_ (aoldb:
                                        //mail/write/template.htm#_ftn30) and the Atlantic. A five act play about Tecumseh,
                                        published in 1886 was regarded in it’s day as Canada’s “greatest literary
                                        achievement”._[31]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn31) In America,
                                        Tecumseh did not reach popularity until his death became a political issue during
                                        the 1840 presidental campaign, as Richard Mentor Johnson ran for vice
                                        president. A slew of “ballads, biographies, almanacs, and [. . .] novels [help]
                                        put the Shawnee center stage” _[32]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn32)
                                        in hearts and minds of Americans. Additionally, Tecumseh was transported
                                        across the Atlantic and planted into German culture. Tecumseh literature
                                        flourished during Nazi era and reinforced Hiterite ideals of “pan-ism”, uniting
                                        under duress and strong central leadership. The fall of Nazism did not stop
                                        Tecumseh as his story became an East German major motion picture in 1972 and, “
                                        Tecumseh novels and biographies continue to leave German presses, the last in
                                        1996 ”._[33]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn33) This “Tecumseh
                                        Industry” has not stopped since its inception as many children biographies and
                                        films have been published along with numerous novels which “testifies that
                                        after nearly two hundred years Tecumseh has come to belong to all Americans”
                                        _[34]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn34) , if not the world.
                                        Tecumseh’s mysterious and violent death combined with the inability to
                                        locate his body and surmise who killed him has given Tecumseh a universal appeal.
                                        He exemplifies the European or American concept of ‘noble savage’ and many
                                        of his personal qualities like gallantry, honesty, determination and
                                        masculinity are easily identified with such an image._[35]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn35) Tecumseh’s myth and mysticism has resulted in a popular
                                        culture response in not only literature but film and theater as well. Tecumseh
                                        sells well and the effects of the “Tecumseh industry” has given him a
                                        legendary status that has been maintained far longer then Tecumseh’s confederation.
                                        The red response to Tecumseh has been in terms of hope, “that it might be
                                        possible in a changing and turbulent world to find permanent peace and plenty”
                                        ._[36]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn36) This dream still exists
                                        today as traditional Shawnee legend bolsters a second coming of Tecumseh._[37]_
                                        (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn37) Perhaps, the second coming has
                                        already occurred; perhaps Tecumseh was, will be and continues with everyone red or
                                        white.

                                        ____________________________________

                                        _[1]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref1) Allan Eckert, A Sorrow in
                                        Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh. (New York: Bantam, 1992) 787.

                                        _[2]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref2) Moses Dawson, Historical
                                        Narrative of the Civil and Military Services of William H. Harrison.
                                        (Cincinnati: Advertiser Office, 1824) 427.

                                        _[3]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref3) Moses Dawson, Historical
                                        Narrative of the Civil and Military Services of William H. Harrison.
                                        (Cincinnati: Advertiser Office, 1824) 427.

                                        _[4]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref4) Moses Dawson, Historical
                                        Narrative of the Civil and Military Services of William H. Harrison.
                                        (Cincinnati: Advertiser Office, 1824) 193.

                                        _[5]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref5) Moses Dawson, Historical
                                        Narrative of the Civil and Military Services of William H. Harrison.
                                        (Cincinnati: Advertiser Office, 1824) 429.

                                        _[6]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref6) Moses Dawson, Historical
                                        Narrative of the Civil and Military Services of William H. Harrison.
                                        (Cincinnati: Advertiser Office, 1824) 193.

                                        _[7]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref7) Pioneer Scrapbook. Death of
                                        Tecumseh. Bowling Green, Ohio. 1910: 60.

                                        _[8]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref8) William Hutch, A Chapter
                                        of the History of the War of 1812 in the Northwest. (Cincinnati: Miami
                                        Printing and Publishing Company, 1872) 152.

                                        _[9]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref9) John Oskison, Tecumseh and
                                        his Times; The Story of a Great Indian. (1874) 218.

                                        _[10]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref10) John Sugden, Tecumseh’s
                                        Last Stand. (University of Oklahoma Press, 1985) 141.

                                        _[11]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref11) William Hutch, A Chapter
                                        of the History of the War of 1812 in the Northwest.
                                        (Cincinnati: Miami Printing and Publishing Company, 1872) 113.

                                        _[12]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref12) Benson Lossing,
                                        Pictorial Fieldbook of the War of 1812, 1869, 2 Apr. 2004 <
                                        http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~wcarr1/Lossing2/Chap26.html>.

                                        _[13]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref13) Peter Clarke, Origin and
                                        Traditional History of the Wyandotts and Sketches of other Indian Tribes of
                                        North America. (Toronto: Hunter, Rose and Co., 1870) 114.

                                        _[14]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref14) Pioneer Scrapbook. The
                                        Death of Tecumseh. Bowling Green, Ohio. 1910: 60.

                                        _[15]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref15) Peter Clarke, Origin and
                                        Traditional History of the Wyandotts and Sketches of other Indian Tribes of
                                        North America. (Toronto: Hunter, Rose and Co., 1870) 113.

                                        _[16]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref16) John Sugden, Tecumseh: A
                                        Life. (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1998) 377.

                                        _[17]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref17) Allan Eckert, A Sorrow
                                        in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh. (New York: Bantam Books, 1992) 792.

                                        _[18]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref18) John Oskison, Tecumseh
                                        and his Times; The Story of a Great Indian. (1874) 218.

                                        _[19]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref19) Benson Lossing,
                                        Pictorial Fieldbook of the War of 1812, 1869, 2 Apr. 2004 <
                                        http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~wcarr1/Lossing2/Chap26.html>.

                                        _[20]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref20) David Edmunds, “The Thin
                                        Red Line: Tecumseh, the Prophet and Shawnee Resistance.” Timeline Jan. 1988:
                                        17.

                                        _[21]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref21) John Sugden, Tecumseh’s
                                        Last Stand. (University of Oklahoma Press, 1985) 215.

                                        _[22]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref22) Allan Eckert, A Sorrow in
                                        Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh. (New York: Bantam Books, 1992) 794.

                                        _[23]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref23) John Sugden, Tecumseh: A
                                        Life. (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1998) 390.

                                        _[24]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref24) Pioneer Scrapbook.
                                        Tecumseh Described. (Bowling Green, Ohio. 1910) 59.

                                        _[25]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref25) David Edmunds, “The Thin
                                        Red Line: Tecumseh, the Prophet and Shawnee Resistance.” Timeline Jan. 1988:
                                        10.

                                        _[26]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref26) John Sugden, Tecumseh: A
                                        Life. (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1998) 389.

                                        _[27]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref27) Mary Jane McDaniel, “
                                        Tecumseh’s Visits to the Creeks,” The Alabama Review 33 (1980): 8.

                                        _[28]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref28) David Edmunds, “The Thin
                                        Red Line: Tecumseh, the Prophet and Shawnee Resistance.” Timeline Jan. 1988:
                                        9.

                                        _[29]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref29) John Sugden, Tecumseh: A
                                        Life. (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1998) 379.

                                        _[30]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref30) David Edmunds, “The Thin
                                        Red Line: Tecumseh, the Prophet and Shawnee Resistance.” Timeline Jan. 1988:
                                        12.

                                        _[31]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref31) John Sugden, Tecumseh: A
                                        Life. (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1998) 392.

                                        _[32]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref32) John Sugden, Tecumseh: A
                                        Life. (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1998) 397.

                                        _[33]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref33) John Sugden, Tecumseh: A
                                        Life. (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1998) 395.

                                        _[34]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref34) John Sugden, Tecumseh: A
                                        Life. (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1998) 400.

                                        _[35]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref35) David Edmunds, Tecumseh
                                        and the Quest for Indian Leadership. (Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1984)
                                        224.

                                        _[36]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref36) John Oskison, Tecumseh
                                        and his Times; The Story of a Great Indian. (1874) 237.

                                        _[37]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref37) Allan Eckert, A Sorrow

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 7, 2006
                                          I have the great honor of posting the following reply forwaded and
                                          posted with the permission of Panther Clan Mother Dark Rain Thom. For
                                          verification of her right to speak 1812 Members may search for Dark
                                          Rain Thom James Alexander Thom or Random House Canada.

                                          MY Dear Cedar--

                                          As usual you have found the heart of the matter and stated it very
                                          well. He has now found the peace he was denied while alive, in the
                                          bosom of Mother Earth - as it is intended.

                                          At this time of the circle of time it matters not when nor why he
                                          died. We do know that at this time he is in spirit and embraced by
                                          those who orginally gave him life. Creator and Mother Earth. So it
                                          shall always be. Aho

                                          WHERE he was buried? When he died? By what means? Those who needed to
                                          know KNEW. Those who did not need to know...wonder and throw out wild
                                          suppositions. Those who were with him during the battle were well
                                          experienced at tending to such events as a warriors death in battle.
                                          This was certainly not their first experience in battle. Those who
                                          survived knew well what to do and when and how and where. IF others
                                          chose to not believe it or they chose to start or perpetuate their
                                          own myths...so be it.

                                          It matters not. Some say well, they need to pay tribute to him at his
                                          resting place. NOT. His spirit now flies with the wind, shines with
                                          the milky way, traverses the universe. He and his spirit is no longer
                                          bound by PLACE. A tobacco offering, a prayer all reach him thru
                                          immortal means.

                                          I am comforted to know no curious, shallow thinking persons claiming
                                          an entitlement to such sacred knowledge, can disturb him.

                                          Thank you for speaking so well for our beloved departed warrior.
                                          Love
                                          Aunty Dark Rain

                                          Single use by permission has been granted to:
                                          Cedar Heart
                                          also known as
                                          r patrick nichols