Robbie Burns Day

  • John Harris
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
      Hi All
      Wishing all my fellow Scot's or those who are for the day, a Happy Robbie
      Burns Day ! I almost missed it ! Life and all that.
      As most people know, Robbie Burns was a famous poet ( or infamous
      depending on how you look at it ). His most famous poem/song , you will hear
      every New Years , " Auld Lang Sang " . Tonight ( or this weekend ), many
      will be dining on Haggis , and many other Scottish delicacies based on a
      dare . An important tradition of the evening is the recital of "Ode to a
      Haggis".
      Not many people know that there were many drafts of this poem . I have been
      fortunate in acquiring an early draft of the poem, which I think is more
      appropriate for the event.
      Enjoy
      John Harris

      An ode tae a fert

      Oh what a sleekit horrible beastie
      Lurks in yer belly efter a feastie
      Just as ye doon among yer kin
      There sterts to stir an enormous wind

      The neeps and tatties and mushy peas
      stert workin like a gentle breeze
      but soon the puddin wi the sauncie face
      will have ye blawin all ower the place

      Nae matter whit the hell ye dae
      a'bodys gonnae have tae pay
      even if ye try to stifle
      It's like a bullet oot a rifle

      Hawd yer bum tight tae the chair
      tae try and stop the leakin air
      shify yersel fae cheek tae cheek
      Prae tae God it doesnae reek

      But aw yer efforts go assunder
      oot it comes like a clap a thunder
      Richochets aroon the room
      michty me a sonic boom

      God almighty it fairly reeks
      Hope I huvnae shit ma breeks
      tae the bog I better scurry
      aw whit the hell, it's no ma worry

      A'body roon aboot me chokin
      wan or two are nearly bokin
      I'll feel better for a while
      Cannae help but raise a smile

      Wis him! I shout with accusin glower
      alas too late, he's just keeled ower
      Ye dirty bugger they shout and stare
      A dinnae feel welcome any mair

      Where e're ye go let yer wind gan' free
      sounds like just the job fur me
      whit a fuss at Rabbie's perty
      ower the sake o' won wee ferty
    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
        From: "John Harris" <jharris@...>

        "... Wishing all my fellow Scot's or those who are for the day, a Happy
        Robbie Burns Day ! .."

        Mr. Harris et al

        Supper this evening included Neeps and Tatties with a Haggis meat
        loaf all washed down with a wee bit of single malt while listening the Pipes
        and Drums of the Scots Guards and Branch 28 Royal Canadian Legion Pipe Band.

        I know, I know, ...

        .... an afore ye all come doon on me for Haggis meat loaf ... it was lamb!
        The real stuff is not made here and I didn't have time to make a bag full

        As far as Brother Burns Poetry my favourite is 'The Masonic Song'

        #258 at
        http://www.robertburns.org/works

        "... May secrecy round be the mystical bound,
        And brotherly Love be the centre! "

        Yrs,
        L2

        Grandma was a MacIntyre
        Served in Scottish Regiment
        Parthenon Lodge No. 267 AF&AM

        and a Happy Robbie Burns Day to all !
      • Susan Spencer
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
          . . . adding my Burns' Day greetings to all my fellow Scots and also to
          all those who weren't quite so lucky in their genetics!

          Slainte!
          -- Sioux
          (Clan MacQuarrie)

        • JGIL1812@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
            In a message dated 1/25/2006 6:13:15 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            susan@... writes:

            Slainte!
            -- Sioux
            (Clan MacQuarrie)

            Now, now... flaunting your clan will get you everywhere Sioux! All the best.

            JG/RE
            (Clan Morrison)

          • Dale
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
              And I'll add MY greetings to the occasion. If we get a few more clans
              involved here, though, we may have to move the discussion to a Group
              for the reenactment of the Jacobite Rebellions!

              ~Dale
              (Clan Ferguson)
            • mccombs98
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
                A Fine Day too!
                Yours Aye
                Murray
                (Clan MacThomas)

              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
                  In a message dated 25/01/2006 7:48:53 PM, ucpm_gunner@... writes:
                  > And I'll add MY greetings to the occasion. If we get a few more clans
                  > involved here, though, we may have to move the discussion to a Group
                  > for the reenactment of the Jacobite Rebellions!
                  > ~Dale
                  > (Clan Ferguson)

                  In that case, I'd have to field the Government's side of the discussion.
                  (Clans Ross and Sutherland -- neither are revolting!)

                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  THE Thin Red Line
                  93rdhighlanders.com

                • J.Bruce Whittaker
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 25, 2007
                    Greetings to those list members who are of a Scots heritage and also
                    to those unfortunate not to be. Happy Robbie Burns Day. A good day to
                    open the bottle of Glenmorangie I got for Christmas.
                    Best regards,
                    Bruce Whittaker
                    "British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God."

                    Address to a Haggis.

                    Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
                    Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
                    Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
                    Painch, tripe, or thairm:
                    Weel are ye wordy of a grace
                    As lang's my arm.

                    The groaning trencher there ye fill,
                    Your hurdies like a distant hill,
                    Your pin wad help to mend a mill
                    In time o need,
                    While thro your pores the dews distil
                    Like amber bead.

                    His knife see rustic Labour dight,
                    An cut you up wi ready slight,
                    Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
                    Like onie ditch;
                    And then, O what a glorious sight,
                    Warm-reekin, rich!

                    Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive:
                    Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
                    Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
                    Are bent like drums;
                    The auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
                    'Bethankit' hums.

                    Is there that owre his French ragout,
                    Or olio that wad staw a sow,
                    Or fricassee wad mak her spew
                    Wi perfect sconner,
                    Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view
                    On sic a dinner?

                    Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
                    As feckless as a wither'd rash,
                    His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
                    His nieve a nit:
                    Thro bloody flood or field to dash,
                    O how unfit!

                    But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
                    The trembling earth resounds his tread,
                    Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
                    He'll make it whissle;
                    An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
                    Like taps o thrissle.

                    Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
                    And dish them out their bill o fare,
                    Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
                    That jaups in luggies:
                    But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
                    Gie her a Haggis!
                  • Ross Flowers
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 25, 2007
                      Aye lad, aye!!

                      Slainte

                      "Drums"

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Greetings to those list members who are of a Scots heritage and
                      also
                      > to those unfortunate not to be. Happy Robbie Burns Day. A good day
                      > open the bottle of Glenmorangie I got for Christmas.
                      > Best regards,
                      > Bruce Whittaker
                      > "British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God."
                      >
                      > Address to a Haggis.
                      >
                      > Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
                      > Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
                      > Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
                      > Painch, tripe, or thairm:
                      > Weel are ye wordy of a grace
                      > As lang's my arm.
                      >
                      > The groaning trencher there ye fill,
                      > Your hurdies like a distant hill,
                      > Your pin wad help to mend a mill
                      > In time o need,
                      > While thro your pores the dews distil
                      > Like amber bead.
                      >
                      > His knife see rustic Labour dight,
                      > An cut you up wi ready slight,
                      > Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
                      > Like onie ditch;
                      > And then, O what a glorious sight,
                      > Warm-reekin, rich!
                      >
                      > Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive:
                      > Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
                      > Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
                      > Are bent like drums;
                      > The auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
                      > 'Bethankit' hums.
                      >
                      > Is there that owre his French ragout,
                      > Or olio that wad staw a sow,
                      > Or fricassee wad mak her spew
                      > Wi perfect sconner,
                      > Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view
                      > On sic a dinner?
                      >
                      > Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
                      > As feckless as a wither'd rash,
                      > His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
                      > His nieve a nit:
                      > Thro bloody flood or field to dash,
                      > O how unfit!
                      >
                      > But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
                      > The trembling earth resounds his tread,
                      > Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
                      > He'll make it whissle;
                      > An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
                      > Like taps o thrissle.
                      >
                      > Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
                      > And dish them out their bill o fare,
                      > Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
                      > That jaups in luggies:
                      > But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
                      > Gie her a Haggis!

                    • Susan Spencer
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 25, 2007
                        Have a wee dram for me!

                        Slainte to all!
                        -- Siusaidh

                        Ross Flowers wrote:

                        > Aye lad, aye!!
                        >
                        > Slainte
                        >
                        > "Drums"
                        >
                        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Greetings to those list members who are of a Scots heritage and
                        > also
                        > > to those unfortunate not to be. Happy Robbie Burns Day. A good day
                        > > open the bottle of Glenmorangie I got for Christmas.
                        > > Best regards,
                        > > Bruce Whittaker
                        > > "British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God."
                        > >
                        > > Address to a Haggis.
                        > >
                        > > Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
                        > > Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
                        > > Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
                        > > Painch, tripe, or thairm:
                        > > Weel are ye wordy of a grace
                        > > As lang's my arm.
                        > >
                        > > The groaning trencher there ye fill,
                        > > Your hurdies like a distant hill,
                        > > Your pin wad help to mend a mill
                        > > In time o need,
                        > > While thro your pores the dews distil
                        > > Like amber bead.
                        > >
                        > > His knife see rustic Labour dight,
                        > > An cut you up wi ready slight,
                        > > Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
                        > > Like onie ditch;
                        > > And then, O what a glorious sight,
                        > > Warm-reekin, rich!
                        > >
                        > > Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive:
                        > > Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
                        > > Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
                        > > Are bent like drums;
                        > > The auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
                        > > 'Bethankit' hums.
                        > >
                        > > Is there that owre his French ragout,
                        > > Or olio that wad staw a sow,
                        > > Or fricassee wad mak her spew
                        > > Wi perfect sconner,
                        > > Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view
                        > > On sic a dinner?
                        > >
                        > > Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
                        > > As feckless as a wither'd rash,
                        > > His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
                        > > His nieve a nit:
                        > > Thro bloody flood or field to dash,
                        > > O how unfit!
                        > >
                        > > But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
                        > > The trembling earth resounds his tread,
                        > > Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
                        > > He'll make it whissle;
                        > > An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
                        > > Like taps o thrissle.
                        > >
                        > > Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
                        > > And dish them out their bill o fare,
                        > > Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
                        > > That jaups in luggies:
                        > > But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
                        > > Gie her a Haggis!

                      • James Krause
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
                          Posted by: "John Ogden" Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:44 pm (PST) To summarize some cultural divisions in the English-speaking world:

                          1) Australians believe in looking out for your mates, Brits believe in
                          looking out for members of your club, Americans believe in looking out for
                          yourself, Canadians believe that's the government's job.

                          2) Americans drink weak piss-tasting beer, Canadians drink strong
                          piss-tasting beer, Brits drink warm beer-flavored piss and the Aussies will
                          drink anything with alcohol in it.

                          3) When travelling abroad, Canadians resent being mistaken for Americans,
                          Aussies resent being mistaken for Brits, Brits can't be mistaken for anyone
                          else and Americans prefer to be mistaken for Canadians.

                          Is there anyone I didn't offend? I can have another go, if need be.

                          Pretty good, there John. My being born south of the 49th Parallel was just an accident. :-D

                          Jim Krause

                          Music Director, Fife Instructor
                          The Kaw Valley Fife & Drum Corps
                          Fife and drum music of early America