Re: [WarOf1812] Scottish Country Dancing

  • Scott McDonald
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 11, 2006
      >Sir, what kind of dance is this!! ;-)
      >
      >Now on a more serious note...(occasionally I do have them) what is
      >the difference between English Country Dancing, and Scottish Country
      >Dancing (other than the obvious!) (and I know the good Drum Major is
      >going to chime in here about the Scots having more class and
      >breeding...but I know the true definition of a Scottish gentleman!)
      >
      >Kevin
      >89th Reg't

      Kevin-

      The Scots dance up on their toes in a very athletic manner and the
      English plod about flat footed while trying to appear elegant. As the
      Scots say, "a dance in the barn is worth ten in the hall".
      Scott McDonald
      93rd Reg't

    • CalvertMck@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 11, 2006
        Don't you mean Flemish County Dancing? :) LOL

      • Marc
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 12, 2006
          Kevin:

          Chck out the link below

          http://www.scottishdance.org/index.html
          or
          http://www.rscdstoronto.org/

          Marc

          > Sir, what kind of dance is this!! ;-)
          > Kevin
          > 89th Reg't
        • Ian Gardner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 12, 2006
            Wasn't Scottish Country Dancing what they were doing
            in the video for Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance"?

            :)
          • Ross Flowers
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
              "what is the difference between English Country Dancing, and
              Scottish Country Dancing ?"

              Well Kevin, apart from the obvious, Scottish Country Dancing, among
              other things, has far more intricate footwork involved because....
              (are you ready for it)...."the Scots having more class and breeding."

              Drums

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:

              > Sir, what kind of dance is this!! ;-)
              >
              > Now on a more serious note...(occasionally I do have them) what is
              the difference between English Country Dancing, and Scottish Country
              Dancing (other than the obvious!) (and I know the good Drum Major is
              going to chime in here about the Scots having more class and
              breeding...but I know the true definition of a Scottish gentleman!)

              > Kevin
              > 89th Reg't
              >

              > > From: "Marc" <faulkner3608@r...>
              >
              > > Kilts are optional.

            • Ross Flowers
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                "what is the difference between English Country Dancing, and
                Scottish Country Dancing ?"

                Well Kevin, apart from the obvious, Scottish Country Dancing, among
                other things, has far more intricate footwork involved because....
                (are you ready for it)...."the Scots having more class and breeding."

                Drums

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:

                > Sir, what kind of dance is this!! ;-)
                >
                > Now on a more serious note...(occasionally I do have them) what is
                the difference between English Country Dancing, and Scottish Country
                Dancing (other than the obvious!) (and I know the good Drum Major is
                going to chime in here about the Scots having more class and
                breeding...but I know the true definition of a Scottish gentleman!)

                > Kevin
                > 89th Reg't
                >

                > > From: "Marc" <faulkner3608@r...>
                >
                > > Kilts are optional.

              • elisabeth687
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Scott McDonald <smcd@c...> wrote:
                  > >Now on a more serious note...(occasionally I do have them) what is
                  > >the difference between English Country Dancing, and Scottish Country
                  > >Dancing (other than the obvious!)

                  > The Scots dance up on their toes in a very athletic manner and the
                  > English plod about flat footed while trying to appear elegant. As the
                  > Scots say, "a dance in the barn is worth ten in the hall".

                  Do not denigrate the English so, good sir! It is true that the Scots
                  manage to keep their heels up in proper upper-class 1800 fashion, and
                  their footwork is more showy, but the English lean more towards quiet
                  elegance and smoothness and the English dance may be learned more
                  quickly for groups that do not plan to specialize in dance. In
                  addition, since the English dance is less energetic, one may dance
                  longer--perhaps that is the origin of the Scots expression you quote,
                  since one Scottish dance will exhaust me more than ten English ones!
                  (Unless Yellow Stockings is one of the English dances.)

                  Amy C.
                  delurking to defend her chosen art
                • John Harris
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 17, 2006
                    > The Scots dance up on their toes in a very athletic manner and the
                    > English plod about flat footed while trying to appear elegant. As the
                    > Scots say, "a dance in the barn is worth ten in the hall".

                    Do not denigrate the English so, good sir! It is true that the Scots
                    manage to keep their heels up in proper upper-class 1800 fashion, and
                    their footwork is more showy, but the English lean more towards quiet
                    elegance and smoothness and the English dance may be learned more
                    quickly for groups that do not plan to specialize in dance. In
                    addition, since the English dance is less energetic, one may dance
                    longer--perhaps that is the origin of the Scots expression you quote,
                    since one Scottish dance will exhaust me more than ten English ones!
                    (Unless Yellow Stockings is one of the English dances.)

                    Amy C.
                    delurking to defend her chosen art

                    ( Chuckling as I write this )
                    Hoi Ross !
                    Surely, yea nae gaein tae take yon slander fae yon Sashinach ? Nae
                    offence tae yon lady intended! 8^)
                    John Harris ( born in Scotland , proudly Canadian )
                    22nd US Infantry and occasionally the 42nd Reg't ( The Black Watch )
                    Grenadier Company
                    PS- I have danced both Scottish Country Dance and English Country Dance .
                    The difference ?? Scottish Country Dance is a great romp with lot's of toe
                    tapping rhythm and semi-civilized mayhem ! English Country Dance is much
                    more sedate , and has as much rhythm in it as a pregnant Catholic !!
                    ;^)
                    Oh I can hear the gasps now !!! All in fun I can assure you !
                  • Ross Flowers
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 20, 2006
                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Harris" <jharris@p...> wrote:

                      Well John, as we say, where to begin!!

                      Mistress Amy, you are quite right that Scottish Country Dancing is
                      more energetic than English Country Dancing. Us Scots can dance at
                      least as many of our dances as you can your English variety. You
                      see, by nature, the Scot is simply in much better physical condition
                      that those south of the border!

                      YHS

                      "Drums"

                      > > The Scots dance up on their toes in a very athletic manner and
                      the
                      > > English plod about flat footed while trying to appear elegant.
                      As the
                      > > Scots say, "a dance in the barn is worth ten in the hall".
                      >
                      > Do not denigrate the English so, good sir! It is true that the
                      Scots
                      > manage to keep their heels up in proper upper-class 1800 fashion,
                      and
                      > their footwork is more showy, but the English lean more towards
                      quiet
                      > elegance and smoothness and the English dance may be learned more
                      > quickly for groups that do not plan to specialize in dance. In
                      > addition, since the English dance is less energetic, one may dance
                      > longer--perhaps that is the origin of the Scots expression you
                      quote,
                      > since one Scottish dance will exhaust me more than ten English
                      ones!
                      > (Unless Yellow Stockings is one of the English dances.)
                      >
                      > Amy C.
                      > delurking to defend her chosen art
                      >
                      > ( Chuckling as I write this )
                      > Hoi Ross !
                      > Surely, yea nae gaein tae take yon slander fae yon Sashinach ?
                      Nae
                      > offence tae yon lady intended! 8^)
                      > John Harris ( born in Scotland , proudly Canadian )
                      > 22nd US Infantry and occasionally the 42nd Reg't ( The Black
                      Watch )
                      > Grenadier Company
                      > PS- I have danced both Scottish Country Dance and English Country
                      Dance .
                      > The difference ?? Scottish Country Dance is a great romp with
                      lot's of toe
                      > tapping rhythm and semi-civilized mayhem ! English Country Dance
                      is much
                      > more sedate , and has as much rhythm in it as a pregnant
                      Catholic !!
                      > ;^)
                      > Oh I can hear the gasps now !!! All in fun I can assure you !

                    • lalozon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 20, 2006
                        From: "Ross Flowers" <drums1812@...>

                        "... where to begin!! ..."

                        Mr. Harris, Mr. Flowers et al

                        A good place to begin is Wednesday January 25 with Robbie Burns Day

                        http://www.robertburns.org

                        Yrs,
                        L2

                        Grandma was a MacIntyre
                        Served in Scottish Regiment
                        Single Malt & Drambuie
                        Scot's wha hae !!
                      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 20, 2006
                          Drums,

                          The border that you are referring to would be the one between Scotland
                          and England? Or, are you picking ob us Yanks? ; ^ )

                          Regards,

                          Bob
                          [Who is too old to dance only on his toes for very long]