Re: [WarOf1812] Joseph Willcocks Sources

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      Ian, Matt;

      Gathering information on Joseph Willcocks (sometimes Wilcocks) is like a
      treasure hunt, following the links from clue to clue to clue.

      Years ago, Donald Graves delivered a thesis on him at Carleton University
      and although it was not published, there are copies floating around the
      history community.

      Another starting point is the Early Canadiana Online @ www.canadiana.org
      which is a good source of his record in the legislative assembly. I cite
      two examples of many returns.

      For example, in Documents relating to the constitutional history of Canada,
      1791-1818 which is a continuation of the series of Constitutional Documents
      published by the Archives and printed by Order of Parliament, if you view
      pages 346 - 348 you will see that he was tried, convicted and jailed on
      February 20, 1808 for 26 days by his own House of Assembly to which he had
      just been admitted on January 26th, 1808. His crime was Contempt of the
      House of Assembly, Upper Canada over a matter of a few words.

      Personally, this on its own would be enough for me to go to war against my
      country.

      Another example, in Ten years of Upper Canada in peace and war, 1805-1815 :
      being the Ridout letters see pages 19, 31, 32, 33, 116, 267, 268 and 308 for
      more colorful incidents involving Joseph Willcocks.

      The above are but a few of the many gems to be mined from the numerous
      online sources.

      Good hunting on your coming searches.

      Gord Deans, Royal Navy 1812-15