Re: [WarOf1812] Jospeh Willcocks

  • ray hobbs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
      Ian:
      There is an excellent article in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography,
      which is now available online. It has a very good supplementary
      bibliography.
      Try <http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=36835&query=>
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt

      On Saturday, January 7, 2006, at 07:31 PM, Ian Gardner wrote:

      > I've been doing some research into Willcocks but wanted to delve
      > deeper.
      > I know Don Graves is working on a biography but I'm wondering if
      > anybody
      > on the list is especially well-versed about him or has any suggestions
      > for good resources about his life in general.
      >
      > TIA
      > Ian

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      >    ---------------------------------
      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      >
      > American Forces Unit Listing
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      <image.tiff>

      <image.tiff>

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > +  Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.

      <image.tiff>

    • Matt Adair
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
        Boy, somebody must have been reading my mind this weekend, because I've
        been hoping to find out some information as well.

        Just this summer, I found out that my 5th great grand father was Philip
        Tufford. Philip originally served the Crown in Capt. Abram Nelles'
        Flank Company. He eventually switched sides, joining Willcocks corp of
        Canadian Vols. Since visiting the Niagara region this summer, I've been
        wanting to find out as much as I can.

        I'd especially be interested in finding some primary sources out there.
        My main area of research has be US Civil War, but I'm finding myself
        more and more interested in War of 1812.

        Anybody out there know where I might be able to find out movements &
        engagements of Willcocks' corps? How about uniforms and other
        equipment? Were they issued uniforms, or did they they civilian soldier
        who came with whatever they had on their back?

        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks!

        Matt Adair