18 pound Bull-dog

  • ray hobbs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
      List:
      I have come across a reference to a gun at Fort Niagara known as an
      "18-pound Bull Dog". This is in a British infantryman's journal and
      report of his involvement in the attack in December 1813.
      Can anyone of the Artillery types clarify exactly what kind of gun this
      was?
      Many thanks
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt. (also an infantryman)
    • Tom Fournier
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
        Not sure if this is helpful or applicable but I did find this
        definition of bulldog:

        A short-barreled, large-caliber revolver or pistol.

        Maybe it is something like a caronnade?

        Cheers!

        Tom Fournier
        also of the 41st Foot
        also an infantryman!

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:

        > List:
        > I have come across a reference to a gun at Fort Niagara known as
        an
        > "18-pound Bull Dog". This is in a British infantryman's journal
        and
        > report of his involvement in the attack in December 1813.
        > Can anyone of the Artillery types clarify exactly what kind of gun
        this
        > was?
        > Many thanks
        > Ray Hobbs
        > 41st Regt. (also an infantryman)

      • John Harris
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
          Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:47:14 -0500
          From: ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@...>
          Subject: 18 pound Bull-dog

          List:
          I have come across a reference to a gun at Fort Niagara known as an
          "18-pound Bull Dog". This is in a British infantryman's journal and
          report of his involvement in the attack in December 1813.
          Can anyone of the Artillery types clarify exactly what kind of gun this
          was?
          Many thanks
          Ray Hobbs
          41st Regt. (also an infantryman)

          >> Perhaps a howitzer? Short and stout ( barrel), big head ( bore ) , and
          can be real nasty when needed !
          John Harris
          22nd US Infantry ( and sometimes a artillery man )
        • Ian Gardner
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
            I've been doing some research into Willcocks but wanted to delve deeper.
            I know Don Graves is working on a biography but I'm wondering if anybody
            on the list is especially well-versed about him or has any suggestions
            for good resources about his life in general.

            TIA
            Ian
          • ray hobbs
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
              Ian:
              There is an excellent article in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography,
              which is now available online. It has a very good supplementary
              bibliography.
              Try <http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=36835&query=>
              Ray Hobbs
              41st Regt

              On Saturday, January 7, 2006, at 07:31 PM, Ian Gardner wrote:

              > I've been doing some research into Willcocks but wanted to delve
              > deeper.
              > I know Don Graves is working on a biography but I'm wondering if
              > anybody
              > on the list is especially well-versed about him or has any suggestions
              > for good resources about his life in general.
              >
              > TIA
              > Ian

              > THOUSANDS of square miles...

              >    ---------------------------------
              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              >
              > American Forces Unit Listing
              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              <image.tiff>

              <image.tiff>

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > +  Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.

              <image.tiff>

            • Matt Adair
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
                Boy, somebody must have been reading my mind this weekend, because I've
                been hoping to find out some information as well.

                Just this summer, I found out that my 5th great grand father was Philip
                Tufford. Philip originally served the Crown in Capt. Abram Nelles'
                Flank Company. He eventually switched sides, joining Willcocks corp of
                Canadian Vols. Since visiting the Niagara region this summer, I've been
                wanting to find out as much as I can.

                I'd especially be interested in finding some primary sources out there.
                My main area of research has be US Civil War, but I'm finding myself
                more and more interested in War of 1812.

                Anybody out there know where I might be able to find out movements &
                engagements of Willcocks' corps? How about uniforms and other
                equipment? Were they issued uniforms, or did they they civilian soldier
                who came with whatever they had on their back?

                Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                Thanks!

                Matt Adair