Request For Gunnery Training

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
      ATTENTION all gunners and other volunteers;

      Major Charles Fitton of the "Waterloo Draft of Recruits" is anxious to get his potential recruits motivated and committed to the coming summer campaign. He asks "Would it be possible to setup a gunnery training day for his recruits at the armoury in Cambridge, Ontario for Saturday, January 21?"

      This introductory session prior to the School of Artillery on April 23, 2006 would be a great opportunity for our community to welcome some new members who wish to understand the history that they already are serving to protect.

      I am available and plan to attend to assist in any way including the preparation of training handouts. Experienced gun commanders would be the best choice to lead the gun drills. Any gunners would be a welcome asset in the presentations and the drills.

      Does anyone in the Cambridge area have access to a gun for the day?

      Plan A (ideally) would be morning presentations and training at the downtown Cambridge armoury followed by afternoon live firing demonstrations on a farm 10 km. away (if we can get a gun from somewhere).

      Plan B (practically) would be morning presentations and training at the downtown Cambridge armoury followed by afternoon drill at the downtown Cambridge armoury using (a) mocked-up cannon barrel(s) and mocked-up tools. Not the same experience as with live firing but it will give some of the feel of the drill and handling of the tools at all of the gun stations.

      This is NOT a replacement for the School of Artillery, but a leadup to it and a great recruiting opportunity. All suggestions are welcome.

      Gord Deans, RNRFI,

      On detached service to the Royal Navy,

      On the Great Lakes, Upper Canada.

    • Peter Monahan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
        Gordon

        " This is NOT a replacement for the School of Artillery, but a leadup to it and a great recruiting opportunity. "

        As such, a very admirable idea! Mr. lozon must have missed that bit!

        Peter Monahan, RNR (Bulger's Coy)
      • lalozon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
          From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>

          " This is NOT a replacement for the School of Artillery, but a leadup to it
          and a great recruiting opportunity. "

          Mr. lozon must have missed that bit!

          Mr. Monahan,

          Mr. Lozon did not miss that bit.

          The Crown Forces School is exactly what Mr. Deans needs. Since they have
          not a gun yet ...
          the School will have guns for them to drill on and when they return they
          will be able to drill their hearts out.

          PS: Since Mr. Fitton lives just down the road I have contacted Mr. Deans off
          the group and we have are corresponding.

          PPS: ... but thanks for the heads up Sergeant Major ...

          Yrs.,

          L2
        • Mark Ibbotson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
            I think its a good idea too. Though i cannot see how you could pretend to graze with not shot.

            Still a good display should be in the offering should many turn up and learn some fancy gun drill.

            You can call em Holcrofts company.

            UBIQUE
            Ibbo