Question - Haversack Strap Length

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
      Good morning list!

      I have been tinkering with and repairing my kit over the winter to get
      ready for the upcoming campaign season.

      I am wondering if someone can help and answer as to the correct length
      for a haversack strap or said another way, where should the haversack
      sit?

      Thanks!

      Tom Fournier
      41st Regiment
    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
        From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>

        "... if someone can help and answer as to the correct length for a haversack
        strap or said another way, where should the haversack sit?

        Sgt. Fournier

        According to a couple of patterns for a Board of Ordnance haversack,
        it is said they all came with the same length strap ... that being 40" to be
        sewn to the bag.

        According to most re-enactors, the bag should sit on cheek of your
        bum
        ... others like it higher.

        Hope this helps

        Yrs.,
        L2
      • Luthien Tinuviel
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
          I'm wondering about the size of the haversack itself. I've seen some variation amoung reenactors. I'd also kind of like a slightly larger one but I want to find out if that's correct or not.

          Beck
          89th

          From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>

          "... if someone can help and answer as to the correct length for a haversack
          strap or said another way, where should the haversack sit?

          Sgt. Fournier

          According to a couple of patterns for a Board of Ordnance haversack,
          it is said they all came with the same length strap ... that being 40" to be
          sewn to the bag.

          According to most re-enactors, the bag should sit on cheek of your
          bum
          ... others like it higher.

          Hope this helps

          Yrs.,
          L2

          ---------------------------------
          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

          American Forces Unit Listing
          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          United state history Living history United kingdom War of 1812

          ---------------------------------

        • lalozon
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
            From: "Luthien Tinuviel" <rrbeckner@...>

            " I'm wondering about the size of the haversack itself. "

            take a trip over to

            http://www.militaryheritage.com/haversack.htm

            Yrs.,
            L2
          • John Harris
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
              From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>

              "... if someone can help and answer as to the correct length for a haversack
              strap or said another way, where should the haversack sit?

              Sgt. Fournier
              According to a couple of patterns for a Board of Ordnance haversack,
              it is said they all came with the same length strap ... that being 40" to be
              sewn to the bag.
              According to most re-enactors, the bag should sit on cheek of your
              bum
              ... others like it higher.
              Hope this helps
              Yrs.,
              L2

              >>> A very common mistake made by a lot reenactors is all their belts (
              bayonet,cartridge box, haversack , canteen ) are worn too long on the body.
              They should be above the hip bone so that the various bit's and pieces don't
              A) bang into your butt( very painful/ annoying if you are marching several
              miles ) and B) your equipment will stay in place and not travel around your
              body while you are moving.
              A guide line for this is the button's on your uniform coat. There should be
              a small strap attached to your cartridge belt and your bayonet belt , that
              will fasten to the button's on the back of the coat ( the 2 buttons that are
              on the waist line ). This will also prevent them from the dreaded
              travel/tangle ! ;^)
              Interlocking your belts on your front will also help to prevent some
              traveling , and will help to keep your belt's sitting correctly.
              The other common mistake is having your waistline on your trousers too low
              . They don't sit like modern trousers or Rev War trousers . The waistline
              should be just below your rib cage.
              Regards
              John Harris
              22nd US Infantry
              PS- Happy New Year to All !!!
            • Charles F. Phillips
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
                You really need to research what was used by your unit at the appropriate
                time. The one at Military Heritage says that it's "RevWar - Napoleonic -
                1812" but that sort of generalization is always suspect. It's wrong for
                RevWar, so I would think it suspect for the other two periods as well.

                The best (and cheapest if you buy the kit) for RevWar is sold by Najecki.
                It is patterned directly from an extant sample. I've pasted the link below
                - the picture you'll see is just the folded material for the stamped kit.
                Once finished, the flap is sewn down on the front through to the strap on
                the back and it does not hang down another 5 or 6 inches as the one at
                Military Heritage does. It took me about 3 hours to finish and it only cost
                11.00 USD.

                http://www.najecki.com/repro/Haversack.html

                Najecki's is good for SYW and RevWar (a twenty year stretch), but I'd be
                shocked if it were still good for 1812 (another thirty years later)!

                The one from Military Heritage may be correct for 1812 for all I know (I've
                not done the research). However, you need to do the research for your own
                unit and NEVER take a vendor's word that it will cover multiple periods.

                R/s,
                Charlie

                FREEDOM is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
                pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected
                and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset
                years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like
                in the United States where men were free.
                ---Ronald Wilson Reagan

                > Message: 4
                > Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:41:03 -0500
                > From: "lalozon" <lalozon@...>
                > Subject: Question - Haversack Strap Length
                >
                > From: "Luthien Tinuviel" <rrbeckner@...>
                >

                > " I'm wondering about the size of the haversack itself. "
                >
                > take a trip over to
                >
                > http://www.militaryheritage.com/haversack.htm
                >

                > Yrs.,
                > L2
              • lalozon
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
                  From: "Charles F. Phillips" <charles.phillips@...>

                  "... I'd be shocked if it were still good for 1812 (another thirty years
                  later)!

                  Most of the stores captured at Fort Detroit, August 15-16 1812, was Rev War
                  tentage, muskets and stuff

                  Fort Amherstburg (Malden) had British Rev War stores as well during 1812

                  Research has found the haversack used by the Crown Forces North America was
                  the same as the Rev War ones.

                  It was the Army ... if it is still useable ... keep it

                  Haversacks are not designed for the same things re-enactors use them for ...
                  car keys, wallets, cameras, cigarettes, etc

                  They were food bags and only issued when the soldier needed to carry a few
                  days ration of food on manoeuvres

                  Yrs.,
                  L2