A Christmas Eve Long Forgotten

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2005
      No, not Christmas Eve, 1814 when the Treaty of Ghent was signed ending the War Of 1812. The British and American representatives sat down the next day on December 25, 1814 to a Christmas dinner of beef and plum pudding brought especially from England. Toasts were drunk to the health of King George and President Madison and the orchestra played "God Save the King" and "Yankee Doodle".

      No, I was thinking back to Christmas Eve, 1812. Two armies huddled in freezing barracks, within windswept forts, facing each other across the bleak, grey Niagara River and thinking of those on the opposite riverbank busily plotting their death and destruction in the coming spring. It has barely been two months since the great Brock fell at Queenston Heights and now the brutal Scheaffe is back in unrestrained command.

      The cold and hungry soldiers, wrapped in their blankets, are crowded around the fires at each end of their barracks, contemplating their coming Christmas dinners. For a few pennies each, they have purchased "raisins, flour, fat and beer" to make a pudding and perhaps an apple or two as a treat. No oranges, plum puddings or sugar candies for this lot. Across the dark parade squares, the Officers' Messes are glowing with dozens of candles and ringing with music as the bandsmen play and the stewards carve great roasts and pour gallons of brandies, almond sherries and wines. Many great boasts and toasts are drunk to.

      But the soldiers only thoughts are - "Will they survive the coming year in this desolate land to return to their homes?".

      As I enjoy the peace, blessings and bounties of this Christmas Eve, I will be truly mindful and thankful for all of the sacrifices of those who have gone before me. Those of us whose passion is living history do so because we do REMEMBER.

      May each and everyone of you "on both sides of the river" have a very Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and a Prosperous and Successful 2006.

      Gord Deans,
      Royal Newfoundland Regiment - Bulger's Company,
      On detached service with the Royal Navy,
      In Ordinary on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada

    • PETER CATLEY
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2005
        Gord,

        A timely reminder as to what it is all about.

        Thank you.

        P**

        Gordon Deans <gord.deans@...> wrote: No, not Christmas Eve, 1814 when the Treaty of Ghent was signed ending the War Of 1812. The British and American representatives sat down the next day on December 25, 1814 to a Christmas dinner of beef and plum pudding brought especially from England. Toasts were drunk to the health of King George and President Madison and the orchestra played "God Save the King" and "Yankee Doodle".

[...]

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        United kingdom United state history Living history War of 1812

      • JOHN GREIG
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 24, 2005
          Well said Gord,

          Regretably we can't get the almond sherry in the UK.

          Best wishes to all,

          Squire

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
            May I add another Christmas Eve 1814...one spent by those shivering in the
            mud of the swamps either before or behind Line Jackson outside New Orleans.
            Images of the West Indies regiments poking at ice having never before seen such a
            thing. Those still living having spent the previous night in pitched battle in
            the pitch dark. The entire Yuletide spent in dread and fear and under fire.
            We do remember. We shall remember again in 6 days time, and once again as the
            93rd SHRoFLHU reads the roll call of the dead at Chalmette.
            Sans Peur,

            In a message dated 24/12/2005 12:16:37 AM, gord.deans@... writes:
            > No, not Christmas Eve, 1814 when the Treaty of Ghent was signed ending the
            > War Of 1812.  The British and American representatives sat down the next day
            > on December 25, 1814 to a Christmas dinner of beef and plum pudding brought
            > especially from England.  Toasts were drunk to the health of King George and
            > President Madison and the orchestra played "God Save the King" and "Yankee
            > Doodle".
            >
            > No, I was thinking back to Christmas Eve, 1812.  Two armies huddled in
            > freezing barracks, within windswept forts, facing each other across the bleak,
            > grey Niagara River and thinking of those on the opposite riverbank busily
            > plotting their death and destruction in the coming spring.  It has barely been two
            > months since the great Brock fell at Queenston Heights and now the brutal
            > Scheaffe is back in unrestrained command.
            >
            > The cold and hungry soldiers, wrapped in their blankets, are crowded around
            > the fires at each end of their barracks, contemplating their coming Christmas
            > dinners.  For a few pennies each, they have purchased "raisins, flour, fat
            > and beer" to make a pudding and perhaps an apple or two as a treat.  No
            > oranges, plum puddings or sugar candies for this lot.  Across the dark parade
            > squares, the Officers' Messes are glowing with dozens of candles and ringing with
            > music as the bandsmen play and the stewards carve great roasts and pour
            > gallons of brandies, almond sherries and wines.  Many great boasts and toasts are
            > drunk to.
            >
            > But the soldiers only thoughts are - "Will they survive the coming year in
            > this desolate land to return to their homes?".
            >
            > As I enjoy the peace, blessings and bounties of this Christmas Eve, I will
            > be truly mindful and thankful for all of the sacrifices of those who have gone
            > before me.  Those of us whose passion is living history do so because we do
            > REMEMBER.
            >
            > May each and everyone of you "on both sides of the river" have a very Merry
            > Christmas, a Happy New Year and a Prosperous and Successful 2006.
            >
            > Gord Deans,
            > Royal Newfoundland Regiment - Bulger's Company,
            > On detached service with the Royal Navy,
            > In Ordinary on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada

            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
            93rdhighlanders.com