Re: Living History Conference 2006

  • Dale
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2005
      Pardon my ignorance, but not having had the pleasure of attending one
      of these conferences in the past, perhaps I could prevail upon one or
      more of you to define the general structure and usual content of
      the "average" Living History Conference?

      I'm rather curious as to what the fuss is about, and who knows, I might
      want to get involved in the organization of one of the future ones. The
      greater Toronto area is a great place for conferences of any kind, and
      there are a whole lot of us reenactors living relatively nearby. We not
      only have the entire IMUC organization here, as well as potentially the
      facilities of Fort York, but there are several militias based within an
      hour's drive, Provincial Marine detachments in and north of the city,
      and quite a range of sutlers living in the area. While the timeline is
      without doubt a bit (LOL) too tight to get anything put together this
      year, perhaps a near future conference in Toronto is a realistic goal.

      Food for thought. Comments from IMUC reps and other locals welcome...

      YH&OS,
      Dale
    • glenn stott
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2005
        Dear List,
        With the advent of so many groups of reenactors and different time periods,
        perhaps it is time for the groups to examine the possibility of
        co-ordinating our efforts together to put on a joint conference on an annual
        or biennial schedule to alleviate all the expenses and headaches from one
        group doing it. History Conferences have an opportunity of informing all
        aspects of our groups about the history, the issues, the technical as well
        as informational aspects which would help all of us to communicate to the
        general public. As the bicentennial of the War of 1812 approaching etc. it
        might be something that could and should be planned at the Crown Forces
        Upper Canada level. I am sure each group could find one or two interested
        people to assist in such an undertaking.

        Glenn Stott, Royals Lights
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2005
          While everyone here has been talking about there not being a living history
          conference, there actually is a living history conference this year, it's
          just not in London ON or Hamilton ON. Reenactor Fest 2006 is happening Feb
          3-5, 2006 in Chicago.

          For more information please go to
          http://www.reenactorfest.com

          Kevin Windsor
          89th Reg't
        • Five Rivers Chapmanry
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
            Not to disparage, or in any manner take away from,
            Re-enactorfest, I do believe part of the interest for many Canadian
            re-enactors was the fact we had a Canadian conference, which would cater
            to Canadian interests, while still encompassing a broad spectrum of
            viewpoints and interests.

            I know for myself and Gary we wouldn't be travelling to Chicago
            for a conference, and I imagine there are a number of other merchants
            and re-enactors who would also hesitate to make the journey, partly
            because of distance, partly because of the potential fuss of border
            crossing (yes, yes, I know, hundreds of you do it every year without
            problem).

            On the other hand, there is another extremely well-organized
            conference (Forward Into the Past -- FITP) which takes place every year,
            covering 500 AD through 1600, put on by a group out of Kitchener. Neil
            Peterson, the head coordinator, has for some number of years expressed
            an interest in perhaps coordinating efforts of the LHC and FITP to
            create a true Living History Conference that would span from 500AD
            through WWII.

            The FITP folk put on a simply dizzying array of classes. To
            quote from their website:

            As in past years our goal is to bring you over 100 hours of classes on a
            very wide range of topics. Four different types of classes are offered.
            Lectures on a culture or topic; Practicums - hands on classes; and In
            Persona classes -- where the instructor teaches while in the role of a
            medieval personality; finally there will be children's classes.

            I think between the superb organizational ability of the FITP
            and LHC folk we have the ability to create a conference that would draw
            from a larger crowd, thereby potentially offering greater potential for
            fund-raising, while maximizing resources and personnel. There is the
            potential to create an ALFHAM for re-enactors.

            Regards
            Lorina
            (who tends to paint with HUGE canvas, BIG brush, and LOTS of COLOUR)
            Five Rivers Chapmanry
            purveyors of historical sewing patterns, quality hand-crafted cooperage,
            re-enactor and embroidery supplies, and more.
            519-799-5577 info@... - www.5rivers.org