Re: "Battle of Yonge Street." A fond memory from a Veteran reenactor

  • giiir
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2005
      > To the list, please indulge me here.
      > Way back in 1984 (if my memory serve's me right), it was the
      > sesquicentennial ( 150 years) for the City of Toronto, and there was a
      > "re-enactment" of the '37 rebellion in the area of Hogg's Hollow on
      Yonge
      > Oh the "good old day's" ! For those who were there in those day's ,
      you will
      > understand . For those that weren't you never will!
      > Regards
      > John Harris
      > ( Too many impressions, not enough time )

      Yes, I remember it well. I was a pioneer then and had the pleasure of
      marching at the head of the IMUC with my broad-ax cradled in the crook
      of my arm. We, the IMUC, marched under Captain Sandler from Eglinton
      Avenue to Hogg's Hollow. A dettachment of The Fort York Guard met us at
      the Jolly Miller's Tavern battlefield and supported us with a piece of
      ordinance, a one pound grasshopper, I can't remember the Upper Canada
      Rifles but we were the bulk of the red-coat force. At the time the IMUC
      was the largest red-coat 1812 re-enactment group, as a matter of fact I
      believe that except for Craig Williams 49th, the only one in Canada.
      Brigadeer Twist was still a ranker serving in Gavin Watt's Rev War
      Royal Yorkers.
      I still remember halting half way through the march and getting a pull
      on private River Rat's(now Brigade Major Jason Everett's) canteen full
      of grog. It was ironic because a picture of me appeared the following
      week in the North York Mirror taking refreshment from my pewter
      tankard, but this time actually guzzling water, ARGH!
      SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

      Fred Fishell