Re: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
      All-
      In yet another moment of American ignorance, what sparked this
      rebellion? I presume that this was part of a larger campaign about which we
      south of the 49th Parallel are not taught.

      Yours,
      John Ogden

      On 12/5/05, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:

      > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
      > where
      > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
      > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
      > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them retiring
      > in
      > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the abandoned
      > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months later
      > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the farmers
      > who
      > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions that
      > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
      > re-enactors.
      > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
      > reason.
      >
      > Vic Suthren

      Fortuna audentes favorit.

    • ray hobbs
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
        Vic et al:
        I am sure the members of our Regiment involved will not mind me
        passing this on. Two of our members have Francophone heritage, and
        their father was quite shocked that they had joined a British redcoated
        reenactment regiment.
        Such predilections run deep in Canadian culture. Yet, the "Canadians"
        (meaning in 1812 parlance French Canadians) fought well and with
        courage against invading American forces - viz Chateauguay etc., etc.
        Ray Hobbs
        41st CO
        Hamilton UC

        On Monday, December 5, 2005, at 05:43 PM, <suthren@...> wrote:

        > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
        > where
        > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
        > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
        > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them
        > retiring in
        > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the
        > abandoned
        > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months
        > later
        > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the
        > farmers who
        > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions
        > that a
        > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
        > re-enactors.
        > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
        > reason.
        >
        > Vic Suthren

        <image.tiff>

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > +  Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.

        <image.tiff>

      • Peter Monahan
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
          Vic

          Yes, the Lower Canadian rebellion was a horse of a different colour entirely - pitched battles, buildings cleared at bayonet point and artillery shelling chruches as I recall. I can see both why it would be re-enacted and why it still provokes a passionate response!
          Something else for our francophone brethern to remember to our discredit, I'm afraid.

          John

          In a nut shell, both Upper and Lower Canada had representative Assemblies,and British appointed Lt-Governors who in turn appointed the Councils (read "cabints") which made the real decisions. The Governors were not responsible to the assemblies - couldn't be replaced except at London's pleasure - and the Councils represented landed and wealthy interests, not the population at large. In LC (Quebec), of course made wprse by the fact that the Council were either English or "Anglo-loving" Frenchmen.

          The "rebels" were in fact making modest demands even by the standards of the time - "representative government" - and would likely have gotten it in another few years if they hadn't chosen to march instead of just editoralizing and speechifying. (My sympathy is with them, BTW, I'd have marched too!).

          Some of the rebels escaped to the US and raided back into Canada in the summer of'38, raising tensions between the 2 countries before they were suppressed. As it was, a number of the French were killed in battle, 12 were hanged and 60 transported to Australia where they were roughly used by the patriotic criminal classes of England. A number of the Upper Cdn rebels were tried and transported too.

          The grandson of W. L. Mackenzie, W.L.M. King, became Prime Minister of Canada in the 1920's & '30's and proudly displayed the wanted poster for his G.dad to the King of England when he visited! A small but key step in our march to nationhood.

          Peter

          From: John Ogden <johnjogden@...>
          Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 06:23:54 EST
          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

          All-
          In yet another moment of American ignorance, what sparked this
          rebellion? I presume that this was part of a larger campaign about which we
          south of the 49th Parallel are not taught.

          Yours,
          John Ogden

          On 12/5/05, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:

          > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
          > where
          > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
          > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
          > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them retiring
          > in
          > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the abandoned
          > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months later
          > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the farmers
          > who
          > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions that
          > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
          > re-enactors.
          > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
          > reason.
          >
          > Vic Suthren

          Fortuna audentes favorit.

        • ray hobbs
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
            List:
            To bring this back to 1812 (and, it does have a connection) some
            members of the 41st Regiment, such as Captain Fuller, Paymaster Raye
            and Lieut., Thomas Taylor, were all close friends of the men who would
            later rebel against the Government.
            In 1811 Taylor even acted as second to William Warren Baldwin, a leader
            of the later rebels, against MacDonnell, Brock's AdC in a duel. Their
            sympathies were clearly with the Irish lower middle class in Upper
            Canada, who condemned "that damned Scottish Faction" at York. Many of
            these officers came from, or had contact with the same lower middle
            class Irish Protestants.
            The interesting thing is that following the war, all of these officers
            declared themselves against the rebels. I am interested in trying to
            find out why this was.
            I am working on an extended article on Taylor, and will hope to have it
            published in the near future.
            If members of any other Irish Regiments in 1812 (Kevin W.etc) have any
            light to shed on this - t'would be welcome.
            Yrs etc.
            Ray Hobbs
            CO 41st Regt.

          • Ian Gardner
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
              >Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just the
              >weather? :7)

              Your choice. I'm sure the ghost of William Lyon Mackenzie would look on
              approvingly. :)

              Ian

              05/12/2005
            • suthren@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                Dear John

                After the War of 1812 the British administration in the two Canadas (Upper
                Canada=Ontario, Lower Canada=Quebec) maintained a colonial system of
                government that gave vast powers to the Governors and to a social elite who
                dominated the appointed (not elected) Upper Houses, and who simply ignored
                the limited-suffrage Lower Houses of the provincial legislatures. The
                Governors allowed a social elite (British and Anglican) in what later became
                Ontario to monopolize all political appointments and run the colony for
                their own benefit. That elite became known as the "Family Compact", and
                effectively blocked all attempts at greater democratization, aided by the
                Loyalists who loathed and feared US-style popular democracy under which they
                had suffered. In Quebec a similar elite, anchored on a pact between the
                Catholic Church, wealthy French landowners and the British colonial
                administration, and referred to as the "Chateau Clique", equally blocked
                progress. Economic strain, outbreaks of disease, population growth and the
                example of the booming (and, by contrast, turbulent and unruly but
                unimaginably free) American society to the south led to a comic-opera revolt
                in Ontario that failed largely due to the innately unrevolutionary instincts
                of the Ontario population (however real their sense of grievance), and a
                serious and bloody armed revolt in Quebec that was put down with a
                never-forgotten savage viciousness by the British military (and English
                speaking militia from Ontario border regions like Glengarry). The British
                did enact tardy reforms later that, over years, answered many of the
                citizen's grievances, but never met others (Canada's Senate is still
                appointed by the ruling Government and is not accountable to the people,
                which never fails to astonish Australians and Americans), and in many
                respects Canadians still have fewer constitional rights tha Americans, and
                have yet to cross over that psychological barrier that says political power
                resides entirely within themselves rather than The Crown.

                Vic Suthren

                > In yet another moment of American ignorance, what sparked this
                > rebellion? I presume that this was part of a larger campaign about which
                we
                > south of the 49th Parallel are not taught.
                >
                > Yours,
                > John Ogden
                >

                > On 12/5/05, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
                > > where
                > > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
                > > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
                > > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them retiring
                > > in
                > > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the abandoned
                > > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months later
                > > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the farmers
                > > who
                > > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions
                that
                > > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
                > > re-enactors.
                > > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
                > > reason.
                > >
                > > Vic Suthren

                square miles...

                > --

              • mccombs98
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                  Or what about the battle of Short Hills, Niagara Upper Canada in '37?
                  Still quite virgin territory today. Some St. John's ruins can still be
                  found in the undergrowth of the surrounding forest.
                  (I often claim that the road pavement ends at the boundary of St.
                  John's because the Government still holds a grudge:) St. John's exists
                  today in name only.
                  A fight for responsible government, against nepotism, a reaction to the
                  Great Discontent of 1818 (in Niagara anyways), and a hope for
                  representative government (smacking of the still embedded Republican
                  thought of the time - and not only Irish republican thought:).
                  It would be similar to a Longwoods tactical.
                  Murray
                  Short Hills Niagara.

                  Peter Monahan <petemonahan@s...> wrote:

                  > Gord
                  >
                  > For the open field part we'd have to go a leedle furder north - like King City! (Ironically, or perhaps not, "King City" - 40km/25miles n of C of Kn.Universe - is mostly fields.)
                  >
                  > Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just the weather? :7)

                  > From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@s...>
                  > Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:39:01 EST
                  > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"
                  >
                  > Peter;
                  >
                  > What a great scenario. Imagine the entire line scattering across an open field shouting "Run away! Run away!". And think of the public crowd, all better armed than the re-enactors, with some of them getting carried away and "poppin' caps in the air" (or worse).
                  >
                  > The re-enactment would go down in history as the "Yonge Street Races". Hoo-Aahhh! I love the smell of black powder in the morning.
                  >
                  > Isn't it great to be Canadian.
                  >
                  > Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]
                  > In winter quarters on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada

                • mccombs98
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                    Well said Sir!

                    <suthren@m...> wrote:

                    > Dear John
                    >
                    > After the War of 1812 the British administration in the two Canadas (Upper
                    > Canada=Ontario, Lower Canada=Quebec) maintained a colonial system of
                    > government that gave vast powers to the Governors and to a social elite who
                    > dominated the appointed (not elected) Upper Houses, and who simply ignored
                    > the limited-suffrage Lower Houses of the provincial legislatures. The
                    > Governors allowed a social elite (British and Anglican) in what later became
                    > Ontario to monopolize all political appointments and run the colony for
                    > their own benefit. That elite became known as the "Family Compact", and
                    > effectively blocked all attempts at greater democratization, aided by the
                    > Loyalists who loathed and feared US-style popular democracy under which they
                    > had suffered. In Quebec a similar elite, anchored on a pact between the
                    > Catholic Church, wealthy French landowners and the British colonial
                    > administration, and referred to as the "Chateau Clique", equally blocked
                    > progress. Economic strain, outbreaks of disease, population growth and the
                    > example of the booming (and, by contrast, turbulent and unruly but
                    > unimaginably free) American society to the south led to a comic-opera revolt
                    > in Ontario that failed largely due to the innately unrevolutionary instincts
                    > of the Ontario population (however real their sense of grievance), and a
                    > serious and bloody armed revolt in Quebec that was put down with a
                    > never-forgotten savage viciousness by the British military (and English
                    > speaking militia from Ontario border regions like Glengarry). The British
                    > did enact tardy reforms later that, over years, answered many of the
                    > citizen's grievances, but never met others (Canada's Senate is still
                    > appointed by the ruling Government and is not accountable to the people,
                    > which never fails to astonish Australians and Americans), and in many
                    > respects Canadians still have fewer constitional rights tha Americans, and
                    > have yet to cross over that psychological barrier that says political power
                    > resides entirely within themselves rather than The Crown.
                    >
                    > Vic Suthren
                  • badger222ca
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
                      Several years ago, at the Crysler's Farm event, there was somebody
                      from the Prescott, Ont., area talking about organizing a re-enactment
                      of the 1838 Battle of the Windmill. Does anybody know who this was and
                      what ever became of the proposal?
                      It would be a good scenario and the site is a national park.
                      T. Avery

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "mccombs98" <macomb@p...> wrote:

                      > Or what about the battle of Short Hills, Niagara Upper Canada in '37?
                      > Still quite virgin territory today. Some St. John's ruins can still be
                      > found in the undergrowth of the surrounding forest.
                      > (I often claim that the road pavement ends at the boundary of St.
                      > John's because the Government still holds a grudge:) St. John's exists
                      > today in name only.
                      > A fight for responsible government, against nepotism, a reaction to the
                      > Great Discontent of 1818 (in Niagara anyways), and a hope for
                      > representative government (smacking of the still embedded Republican
                      > thought of the time - and not only Irish republican thought:).
                      > It would be similar to a Longwoods tactical.
                      > Murray
                      > Short Hills Niagara.
                      >
                      > Peter Monahan <petemonahan@s...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Gord
                      > >
                      > > For the open field part we'd have to go a leedle furder north -
                      like King City! (Ironically, or perhaps not, "King City" -
                      40km/25miles n of C of Kn.Universe - is mostly fields.)

                      > > Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just
                      the weather? :7)

                      > > From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@s...>
                      > > Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:39:01 EST
                      > > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                      > > Subject: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37
                      Rebellion?"

                      > > Peter;
                      > >
                      > > What a great scenario. Imagine the entire line scattering across
                      an open field shouting "Run away! Run away!". And think of the public
                      crowd, all better armed than the re-enactors, with some of them
                      getting carried away and "poppin' caps in the air" (or worse).

                      > > The re-enactment would go down in history as the "Yonge Street
                      Races". Hoo-Aahhh! I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

                      > > Isn't it great to be Canadian.
                      > >
                      > > Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]
                      > > In winter quarters on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada

                    • Ian Gardner
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
                        Don Graves' "Guns Across the River: The Battle of the
                        Windmill, 1838" covers the subject quite well IMHO and
                        IIRC, includes photos taken during a television
                        production about the battle. Has anyone seen this
                        production or was I halucinating? :)

                        Ian

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM

                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 7, 2005
                          In a message dated 6/12/2005 9:01:19 AM, red.gold@... writes:
                          > Several years ago, at the Crysler's Farm event, there was somebody
                          > from the Prescott, Ont., area talking about organizing a re-enactment
                          > of the 1838 Battle of the Windmill. Does anybody know who this was and
                          > what ever became of the proposal?
                          > It would be a good scenario and the site is a national park.
                          > T. Avery

                          Oooo...I've always wanted to get all the 93rd there for the Windmill so we
                          could basically march down the road, and then see the rebels coming out to
                          surrender.
                          Now THAT'S fun!
                          ;-)
                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                          THE Thin Red Line
                          93rdhighlanders.com

                        • badger222ca
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 7, 2005
                            > Oooo...I've always wanted to get all the 93rd there for the
                            Windmill so we
                            > could basically march down the road, and then see the rebels coming
                            out to
                            > surrender.
                            > Now THAT'S fun!
                            > ;-)
                            > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                            > THE Thin Red Line
                            > 93rdhighlanders.com

                            With all due respect, there was a bit more to it than that.
                            T. Avery

                            The Battle of the Windmill

                            This windmill structure was constructed in the 1830's as a grist mill
                            for grinding grain. In November of 1838, it was the site of the
                            Battle of the Windmill, fought between approximately 200 insurgents
                            from the United States sympathetic to the 1837 Rebellions in Canada
                            and local militia and British soldiers.

                            The New York Hunters, led by "General" John Ward Birge, assembled at
                            the Lake Ontario port of Sacket's Harbour for an attack on Fort
                            Wellington, Prescott. The British had been alerted to their
                            activities and the reconstruction of Fort Wellington was authorized.

                            The Battle

                            On November 12th, two schooners approached Prescott with the
                            Americans. They attempted to land at Prescott Wharf. However, the
                            customs inspector, Alpheus Jones, sounded the alarm. The two
                            schooners took off and one ran aground at Windmill Point. With the
                            defection of General Birge who claimed sickness and retired to the
                            American shore with 100 men, command now fell to Nils Von Schoultz, a
                            Swedish-Pole, 31 years of age. He envisaged a quick victory but he
                            would soon find out differently for he had stumbled into a hotbed of
                            Loyalism. He could not have found a more unfriendly population.

                            Schoultz thought the mill, with its height of 80 feet, would be a
                            great place for sniper activity and with its thick stone walls, it
                            would be a veritable fortress.

                            Two hundred invaders took refuge in the mill and in the surrounding
                            stone houses. The mill was a terribly uncomfortable place and they
                            ran out of supplies. The escape routes and supply routes on the
                            river side were blocked by British gun boats and a land attack was
                            launched against them by British regulars and militia on November
                            13th.

                            The first outside help was from Lt. Col. Gowan and his two companies
                            of "Royal Borderers" from Brockville, who appeared about noon.

                            Eventually, 2000 regulars and militia were amassed under the command
                            of Colonel Young . They launched a direct frontal assault on the
                            American position but were beaten back after sustaining heavy
                            casualties, especially from the sharp shooters Von Schultz had placed
                            in the high windmill tower. Von Schoultz and his men were finally
                            pushed back under relentless pressure from the British forces on
                            land. After 4 days of fighting, running short of food and water, with
                            no medical supplies and stunned by the hospitality of the population,
                            the invaders were compelled to surrender on the evening of November
                            16th.

                            Prisoners were taken to Kingston where a lawyer, John A. Mac Donald,
                            was counsel to them. Von Schoultz was hanged at Fort Henry. The
                            British captured 159 prisoners of whom 11 were executed, 3 died of
                            wounds and 60 were convicted and sent to Australia. The remainder
                            who were mere boys, only 15 to 18 years of age, were given their
                            release papers by John MacDonald and sent home to the United States.

                            In all, 48 men were killed and 89 wounded in a vicious battle that
                            helped pave the way to Confederation.

                            This mill was converted into a lighthouse in the 1870's.

                            This site was opened in 1996 and today it is operated, on behalf of
                            Parks Canada, by the Friends of Windmill Point who have just had a
                            fantastic book written, called Guns Across the River (The Battle of
                            the Windmill, 1838) by Donald E. Graves. In this book are
                            approximately 2000 names of everyone who fought in the Battle of the
                            Windmill.

                            Anyone interested in this book, or would like further information,
                            please call 613-925-2896 or write to The Friends of Windmill Point,
                            P.O. Box 479, Prescott, ON, K0E 1T0.

                            Parks Canada Pamphlet-The Battle of the Windmill

                            The Battle of the Windmill-K. F. Scott
                          • Robin R. Morris
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 9, 2005

                              writes:
                              > > Several years ago, at the Crysler's Farm event, there was
                              somebody
                              > > from the Prescott, Ont., area talking about organizing a
                              re-enactment
                              > > of the 1838 Battle of the Windmill. Does anybody know who
                              this was and
                              > > what ever became of the proposal?
                              > > It would be a good scenario and the site is a national park.
                              > > T. Avery

                              That person most probably would have been Rene Schoemaker
                              of Prescott, chair of the Friends of the Windmill. You can reach
                              Rene at:
                              olshoes@...

                              It may take a couple of days for him to respond since he is black
                              powder deer hunting at the moment.

                              Regards

                              Robin Morris