REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
      Peter;

      What a great scenario. Imagine the entire line scattering across an open field shouting "Run away! Run away!". And think of the public crowd, all better armed than the re-enactors, with some of them getting carried away and "poppin' caps in the air" (or worse).

      The re-enactment would go down in history as the "Yonge Street Races". Hoo-Aahhh! I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

      Isn't it great to be Canadian.

      Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]
      In winter quarters on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
        Gord

        For the open field part we'd have to go a leedle furder north - like King City! (Ironically, or perhaps not, "King City" - 40km/25miles n of C of Kn.Universe - is mostly fields.)

        Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just the weather? :7)

        "Battle of Yonge Street. A group of "revolutionaries" are marching down Yonge Street in Toronto and are met by Loyalist volunteers who begin firing at them. When some of the rebels kneel to fire their weapons, the men at the back believe they have been shot and flee in panic, prompting the collapse of the entire rebel column. It is an auspicious beginning to William Lyon Mackenzie's rebellion in Upper Canada."
        Peter Monahan

        Peter Monahan
        petermonahan@...
        705-435-0953 home
      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
          In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis, where
          a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
          anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
          defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them retiring in
          some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the abandoned
          Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months later
          they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the farmers who
          had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions that a
          fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel' re-enactors.
          A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
          reason.

          Vic Suthren
          > For the open field part we'd have to go a leedle furder north - like King
          City! (Ironically, or perhaps not, "King City" - 40km/25miles n of C of
          Kn.Universe - is mostly fields.)

          > Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just the
          weather? :7)

          > From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>
          > Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:39:01 EST
          > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37
          Rebellion?"

          > Peter;
          >
          > What a great scenario. Imagine the entire line scattering across an open
          field shouting "Run away! Run away!". And think of the public crowd, all
          better armed than the re-enactors, with some of them getting carried away
          and "poppin' caps in the air" (or worse).

          > The re-enactment would go down in history as the "Yonge Street Races".
          Hoo-Aahhh! I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

          > Isn't it great to be Canadian.
          >
          > Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]
          > In winter quarters on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada

          square miles...

          > Peter Monahan
          > petermonahan@...
          > 705-435-0953 home

          square miles...

          > --

        • John Ogden
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
            All-
            In yet another moment of American ignorance, what sparked this
            rebellion? I presume that this was part of a larger campaign about which we
            south of the 49th Parallel are not taught.

            Yours,
            John Ogden

            On 12/5/05, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:

            > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
            > where
            > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
            > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
            > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them retiring
            > in
            > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the abandoned
            > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months later
            > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the farmers
            > who
            > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions that
            > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
            > re-enactors.
            > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
            > reason.
            >
            > Vic Suthren

            Fortuna audentes favorit.

          • ray hobbs
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
              Vic et al:
              I am sure the members of our Regiment involved will not mind me
              passing this on. Two of our members have Francophone heritage, and
              their father was quite shocked that they had joined a British redcoated
              reenactment regiment.
              Such predilections run deep in Canadian culture. Yet, the "Canadians"
              (meaning in 1812 parlance French Canadians) fought well and with
              courage against invading American forces - viz Chateauguay etc., etc.
              Ray Hobbs
              41st CO
              Hamilton UC

              On Monday, December 5, 2005, at 05:43 PM, <suthren@...> wrote:

              > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
              > where
              > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
              > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
              > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them
              > retiring in
              > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the
              > abandoned
              > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months
              > later
              > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the
              > farmers who
              > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions
              > that a
              > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
              > re-enactors.
              > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
              > reason.
              >
              > Vic Suthren

              <image.tiff>

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > +  Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.

              <image.tiff>

            • Peter Monahan
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                Vic

                Yes, the Lower Canadian rebellion was a horse of a different colour entirely - pitched battles, buildings cleared at bayonet point and artillery shelling chruches as I recall. I can see both why it would be re-enacted and why it still provokes a passionate response!
                Something else for our francophone brethern to remember to our discredit, I'm afraid.

                John

                In a nut shell, both Upper and Lower Canada had representative Assemblies,and British appointed Lt-Governors who in turn appointed the Councils (read "cabints") which made the real decisions. The Governors were not responsible to the assemblies - couldn't be replaced except at London's pleasure - and the Councils represented landed and wealthy interests, not the population at large. In LC (Quebec), of course made wprse by the fact that the Council were either English or "Anglo-loving" Frenchmen.

                The "rebels" were in fact making modest demands even by the standards of the time - "representative government" - and would likely have gotten it in another few years if they hadn't chosen to march instead of just editoralizing and speechifying. (My sympathy is with them, BTW, I'd have marched too!).

                Some of the rebels escaped to the US and raided back into Canada in the summer of'38, raising tensions between the 2 countries before they were suppressed. As it was, a number of the French were killed in battle, 12 were hanged and 60 transported to Australia where they were roughly used by the patriotic criminal classes of England. A number of the Upper Cdn rebels were tried and transported too.

                The grandson of W. L. Mackenzie, W.L.M. King, became Prime Minister of Canada in the 1920's & '30's and proudly displayed the wanted poster for his G.dad to the King of England when he visited! A small but key step in our march to nationhood.

                Peter

                From: John Ogden <johnjogden@...>
                Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 06:23:54 EST
                To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                All-
                In yet another moment of American ignorance, what sparked this
                rebellion? I presume that this was part of a larger campaign about which we
                south of the 49th Parallel are not taught.

                Yours,
                John Ogden

                On 12/5/05, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:

                > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
                > where
                > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
                > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
                > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them retiring
                > in
                > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the abandoned
                > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months later
                > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the farmers
                > who
                > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions that
                > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
                > re-enactors.
                > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
                > reason.
                >
                > Vic Suthren

                Fortuna audentes favorit.

              • ray hobbs
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                  List:
                  To bring this back to 1812 (and, it does have a connection) some
                  members of the 41st Regiment, such as Captain Fuller, Paymaster Raye
                  and Lieut., Thomas Taylor, were all close friends of the men who would
                  later rebel against the Government.
                  In 1811 Taylor even acted as second to William Warren Baldwin, a leader
                  of the later rebels, against MacDonnell, Brock's AdC in a duel. Their
                  sympathies were clearly with the Irish lower middle class in Upper
                  Canada, who condemned "that damned Scottish Faction" at York. Many of
                  these officers came from, or had contact with the same lower middle
                  class Irish Protestants.
                  The interesting thing is that following the war, all of these officers
                  declared themselves against the rebels. I am interested in trying to
                  find out why this was.
                  I am working on an extended article on Taylor, and will hope to have it
                  published in the near future.
                  If members of any other Irish Regiments in 1812 (Kevin W.etc) have any
                  light to shed on this - t'would be welcome.
                  Yrs etc.
                  Ray Hobbs
                  CO 41st Regt.

                • Ian Gardner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                    >Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just the
                    >weather? :7)

                    Your choice. I'm sure the ghost of William Lyon Mackenzie would look on
                    approvingly. :)

                    Ian

                    05/12/2005
                  • suthren@magma.ca
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                      Dear John

                      After the War of 1812 the British administration in the two Canadas (Upper
                      Canada=Ontario, Lower Canada=Quebec) maintained a colonial system of
                      government that gave vast powers to the Governors and to a social elite who
                      dominated the appointed (not elected) Upper Houses, and who simply ignored
                      the limited-suffrage Lower Houses of the provincial legislatures. The
                      Governors allowed a social elite (British and Anglican) in what later became
                      Ontario to monopolize all political appointments and run the colony for
                      their own benefit. That elite became known as the "Family Compact", and
                      effectively blocked all attempts at greater democratization, aided by the
                      Loyalists who loathed and feared US-style popular democracy under which they
                      had suffered. In Quebec a similar elite, anchored on a pact between the
                      Catholic Church, wealthy French landowners and the British colonial
                      administration, and referred to as the "Chateau Clique", equally blocked
                      progress. Economic strain, outbreaks of disease, population growth and the
                      example of the booming (and, by contrast, turbulent and unruly but
                      unimaginably free) American society to the south led to a comic-opera revolt
                      in Ontario that failed largely due to the innately unrevolutionary instincts
                      of the Ontario population (however real their sense of grievance), and a
                      serious and bloody armed revolt in Quebec that was put down with a
                      never-forgotten savage viciousness by the British military (and English
                      speaking militia from Ontario border regions like Glengarry). The British
                      did enact tardy reforms later that, over years, answered many of the
                      citizen's grievances, but never met others (Canada's Senate is still
                      appointed by the ruling Government and is not accountable to the people,
                      which never fails to astonish Australians and Americans), and in many
                      respects Canadians still have fewer constitional rights tha Americans, and
                      have yet to cross over that psychological barrier that says political power
                      resides entirely within themselves rather than The Crown.

                      Vic Suthren

                      > In yet another moment of American ignorance, what sparked this
                      > rebellion? I presume that this was part of a larger campaign about which
                      we
                      > south of the 49th Parallel are not taught.
                      >
                      > Yours,
                      > John Ogden
                      >

                      > On 12/5/05, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
                      > > where
                      > > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
                      > > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
                      > > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them retiring
                      > > in
                      > > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the abandoned
                      > > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months later
                      > > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the farmers
                      > > who
                      > > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions
                      that
                      > > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
                      > > re-enactors.
                      > > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
                      > > reason.
                      > >
                      > > Vic Suthren

                      square miles...

                      > --

                    • mccombs98
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                        Or what about the battle of Short Hills, Niagara Upper Canada in '37?
                        Still quite virgin territory today. Some St. John's ruins can still be
                        found in the undergrowth of the surrounding forest.
                        (I often claim that the road pavement ends at the boundary of St.
                        John's because the Government still holds a grudge:) St. John's exists
                        today in name only.
                        A fight for responsible government, against nepotism, a reaction to the
                        Great Discontent of 1818 (in Niagara anyways), and a hope for
                        representative government (smacking of the still embedded Republican
                        thought of the time - and not only Irish republican thought:).
                        It would be similar to a Longwoods tactical.
                        Murray
                        Short Hills Niagara.

                        Peter Monahan <petemonahan@s...> wrote:

                        > Gord
                        >
                        > For the open field part we'd have to go a leedle furder north - like King City! (Ironically, or perhaps not, "King City" - 40km/25miles n of C of Kn.Universe - is mostly fields.)
                        >
                        > Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just the weather? :7)

                        > From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@s...>
                        > Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:39:01 EST
                        > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                        > Subject: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"
                        >
                        > Peter;
                        >
                        > What a great scenario. Imagine the entire line scattering across an open field shouting "Run away! Run away!". And think of the public crowd, all better armed than the re-enactors, with some of them getting carried away and "poppin' caps in the air" (or worse).
                        >
                        > The re-enactment would go down in history as the "Yonge Street Races". Hoo-Aahhh! I love the smell of black powder in the morning.
                        >
                        > Isn't it great to be Canadian.
                        >
                        > Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]
                        > In winter quarters on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada

                      • mccombs98
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                          Well said Sir!

                          <suthren@m...> wrote:

                          > Dear John
                          >
                          > After the War of 1812 the British administration in the two Canadas (Upper
                          > Canada=Ontario, Lower Canada=Quebec) maintained a colonial system of
                          > government that gave vast powers to the Governors and to a social elite who
                          > dominated the appointed (not elected) Upper Houses, and who simply ignored
                          > the limited-suffrage Lower Houses of the provincial legislatures. The
                          > Governors allowed a social elite (British and Anglican) in what later became
                          > Ontario to monopolize all political appointments and run the colony for
                          > their own benefit. That elite became known as the "Family Compact", and
                          > effectively blocked all attempts at greater democratization, aided by the
                          > Loyalists who loathed and feared US-style popular democracy under which they
                          > had suffered. In Quebec a similar elite, anchored on a pact between the
                          > Catholic Church, wealthy French landowners and the British colonial
                          > administration, and referred to as the "Chateau Clique", equally blocked
                          > progress. Economic strain, outbreaks of disease, population growth and the
                          > example of the booming (and, by contrast, turbulent and unruly but
                          > unimaginably free) American society to the south led to a comic-opera revolt
                          > in Ontario that failed largely due to the innately unrevolutionary instincts
                          > of the Ontario population (however real their sense of grievance), and a
                          > serious and bloody armed revolt in Quebec that was put down with a
                          > never-forgotten savage viciousness by the British military (and English
                          > speaking militia from Ontario border regions like Glengarry). The British
                          > did enact tardy reforms later that, over years, answered many of the
                          > citizen's grievances, but never met others (Canada's Senate is still
                          > appointed by the ruling Government and is not accountable to the people,
                          > which never fails to astonish Australians and Americans), and in many
                          > respects Canadians still have fewer constitional rights tha Americans, and
                          > have yet to cross over that psychological barrier that says political power
                          > resides entirely within themselves rather than The Crown.
                          >
                          > Vic Suthren
                        • badger222ca
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
                            Several years ago, at the Crysler's Farm event, there was somebody
                            from the Prescott, Ont., area talking about organizing a re-enactment
                            of the 1838 Battle of the Windmill. Does anybody know who this was and
                            what ever became of the proposal?
                            It would be a good scenario and the site is a national park.
                            T. Avery

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "mccombs98" <macomb@p...> wrote:

                            > Or what about the battle of Short Hills, Niagara Upper Canada in '37?
                            > Still quite virgin territory today. Some St. John's ruins can still be
                            > found in the undergrowth of the surrounding forest.
                            > (I often claim that the road pavement ends at the boundary of St.
                            > John's because the Government still holds a grudge:) St. John's exists
                            > today in name only.
                            > A fight for responsible government, against nepotism, a reaction to the
                            > Great Discontent of 1818 (in Niagara anyways), and a hope for
                            > representative government (smacking of the still embedded Republican
                            > thought of the time - and not only Irish republican thought:).
                            > It would be similar to a Longwoods tactical.
                            > Murray
                            > Short Hills Niagara.
                            >
                            > Peter Monahan <petemonahan@s...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Gord
                            > >
                            > > For the open field part we'd have to go a leedle furder north -
                            like King City! (Ironically, or perhaps not, "King City" -
                            40km/25miles n of C of Kn.Universe - is mostly fields.)

                            > > Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just
                            the weather? :7)

                            > > From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@s...>
                            > > Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:39:01 EST
                            > > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                            > > Subject: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37
                            Rebellion?"

                            > > Peter;
                            > >
                            > > What a great scenario. Imagine the entire line scattering across
                            an open field shouting "Run away! Run away!". And think of the public
                            crowd, all better armed than the re-enactors, with some of them
                            getting carried away and "poppin' caps in the air" (or worse).

                            > > The re-enactment would go down in history as the "Yonge Street
                            Races". Hoo-Aahhh! I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

                            > > Isn't it great to be Canadian.
                            > >
                            > > Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]
                            > > In winter quarters on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada

                          • Ian Gardner
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
                              Don Graves' "Guns Across the River: The Battle of the
                              Windmill, 1838" covers the subject quite well IMHO and
                              IIRC, includes photos taken during a television
                              production about the battle. Has anyone seen this
                              production or was I halucinating? :)

                              Ian

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM

                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 7, 2005
                                In a message dated 6/12/2005 9:01:19 AM, red.gold@... writes:
                                > Several years ago, at the Crysler's Farm event, there was somebody
                                > from the Prescott, Ont., area talking about organizing a re-enactment
                                > of the 1838 Battle of the Windmill. Does anybody know who this was and
                                > what ever became of the proposal?
                                > It would be a good scenario and the site is a national park.
                                > T. Avery

                                Oooo...I've always wanted to get all the 93rd there for the Windmill so we
                                could basically march down the road, and then see the rebels coming out to
                                surrender.
                                Now THAT'S fun!
                                ;-)
                                93rd SHRoFLHU
                                THE Thin Red Line
                                93rdhighlanders.com

                              • badger222ca
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 7, 2005
                                  > Oooo...I've always wanted to get all the 93rd there for the
                                  Windmill so we
                                  > could basically march down the road, and then see the rebels coming
                                  out to
                                  > surrender.
                                  > Now THAT'S fun!
                                  > ;-)
                                  > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  > THE Thin Red Line
                                  > 93rdhighlanders.com

                                  With all due respect, there was a bit more to it than that.
                                  T. Avery

                                  The Battle of the Windmill

                                  This windmill structure was constructed in the 1830's as a grist mill
                                  for grinding grain. In November of 1838, it was the site of the
                                  Battle of the Windmill, fought between approximately 200 insurgents
                                  from the United States sympathetic to the 1837 Rebellions in Canada
                                  and local militia and British soldiers.

                                  The New York Hunters, led by "General" John Ward Birge, assembled at
                                  the Lake Ontario port of Sacket's Harbour for an attack on Fort
                                  Wellington, Prescott. The British had been alerted to their
                                  activities and the reconstruction of Fort Wellington was authorized.

                                  The Battle

                                  On November 12th, two schooners approached Prescott with the
                                  Americans. They attempted to land at Prescott Wharf. However, the
                                  customs inspector, Alpheus Jones, sounded the alarm. The two
                                  schooners took off and one ran aground at Windmill Point. With the
                                  defection of General Birge who claimed sickness and retired to the
                                  American shore with 100 men, command now fell to Nils Von Schoultz, a
                                  Swedish-Pole, 31 years of age. He envisaged a quick victory but he
                                  would soon find out differently for he had stumbled into a hotbed of
                                  Loyalism. He could not have found a more unfriendly population.

                                  Schoultz thought the mill, with its height of 80 feet, would be a
                                  great place for sniper activity and with its thick stone walls, it
                                  would be a veritable fortress.

                                  Two hundred invaders took refuge in the mill and in the surrounding
                                  stone houses. The mill was a terribly uncomfortable place and they
                                  ran out of supplies. The escape routes and supply routes on the
                                  river side were blocked by British gun boats and a land attack was
                                  launched against them by British regulars and militia on November
                                  13th.

                                  The first outside help was from Lt. Col. Gowan and his two companies
                                  of "Royal Borderers" from Brockville, who appeared about noon.

                                  Eventually, 2000 regulars and militia were amassed under the command
                                  of Colonel Young . They launched a direct frontal assault on the
                                  American position but were beaten back after sustaining heavy
                                  casualties, especially from the sharp shooters Von Schultz had placed
                                  in the high windmill tower. Von Schoultz and his men were finally
                                  pushed back under relentless pressure from the British forces on
                                  land. After 4 days of fighting, running short of food and water, with
                                  no medical supplies and stunned by the hospitality of the population,
                                  the invaders were compelled to surrender on the evening of November
                                  16th.

                                  Prisoners were taken to Kingston where a lawyer, John A. Mac Donald,
                                  was counsel to them. Von Schoultz was hanged at Fort Henry. The
                                  British captured 159 prisoners of whom 11 were executed, 3 died of
                                  wounds and 60 were convicted and sent to Australia. The remainder
                                  who were mere boys, only 15 to 18 years of age, were given their
                                  release papers by John MacDonald and sent home to the United States.

                                  In all, 48 men were killed and 89 wounded in a vicious battle that
                                  helped pave the way to Confederation.

                                  This mill was converted into a lighthouse in the 1870's.

                                  This site was opened in 1996 and today it is operated, on behalf of
                                  Parks Canada, by the Friends of Windmill Point who have just had a
                                  fantastic book written, called Guns Across the River (The Battle of
                                  the Windmill, 1838) by Donald E. Graves. In this book are
                                  approximately 2000 names of everyone who fought in the Battle of the
                                  Windmill.

                                  Anyone interested in this book, or would like further information,
                                  please call 613-925-2896 or write to The Friends of Windmill Point,
                                  P.O. Box 479, Prescott, ON, K0E 1T0.

                                  Parks Canada Pamphlet-The Battle of the Windmill

                                  The Battle of the Windmill-K. F. Scott
                                • Robin R. Morris
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 9, 2005

                                    writes:
                                    > > Several years ago, at the Crysler's Farm event, there was
                                    somebody
                                    > > from the Prescott, Ont., area talking about organizing a
                                    re-enactment
                                    > > of the 1838 Battle of the Windmill. Does anybody know who
                                    this was and
                                    > > what ever became of the proposal?
                                    > > It would be a good scenario and the site is a national park.
                                    > > T. Avery

                                    That person most probably would have been Rene Schoemaker
                                    of Prescott, chair of the Friends of the Windmill. You can reach
                                    Rene at:
                                    olshoes@...

                                    It may take a couple of days for him to respond since he is black
                                    powder deer hunting at the moment.

                                    Regards

                                    Robin Morris