Re: [WarOf1812] Pub + Re-enactment - Clarification

  • Ian Gardner
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
      'Course, if you really wanted to get press attention,
      now would be just the perfect time to be doing it
      (with or without the musket/beer mixture). :)

      Ian

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM

      > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
      > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
      > of square miles...

    • Peter Monahan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
        Tom

        Montgomery's Tavern just north of what is now the corner of Yonge & Eglinton was wher the two "forces" met, although I'm not sure either was parttaking in Mr M's establishment. (been a while since I read this up). There's now a post office with bronze plaque commemorating the "battle" at the site - two short blocks n of Eg, west side, for those who live at the center of the known universe.

        From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>
        Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:04:46 EST
        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: On This Day in Canadian Military History

        "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

        > '"Battle of Yonge Street."

        Wasn't there a pub involved? A great place to plan a rebellion and/or
        re-enactment around!

        Tom Fournier
        41st Regiment

        Peter Monahan
        petermonahan@...
        705-435-0953 home
      • lalozon
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
          From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>

          "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?" '"Battle of Yonge
          Street."

          ---------

          Tom another Pub Battle was the War between Michigan and Ohio

          =========

          The mouth of the Maumee River at Toledo on Lake Erie was the prize in the
          1835 war between Ohio and the Michigan Territory.

          The war between Michigan and Ohio

          By Tom Jones / special to The Detroit News

          It was a "war" that both Ohio and Michigan could rightfully claim they
          won, a one-casualty conflict in which the only blood drawn came from a knife
          thrust into the leg of a Michigan sheriff.

          It was the Toledo War, a hotly contentious boundary dispute when it
          began in April, 1835, but now a source of amusement to many whose only
          knowledge of the war is from flawed accounts of the event. Historian Tom
          Jones

          Most ask why anyone would fight Ohio over Toledo -- especially since
          Michigan got the Upper Peninsula as consolation for losing the argument.

          The late Tom Jones, former director of the Historical Society of
          Michigan, called that a "common, hindsight reaction built on a
          misconception. It ignores a couple of points."

          First, Toledo as a significant entity didn't exist in 1835. And
          second, when the boundary arguement was settled, Michigan didn't get the
          Upper Peninsula in exchange, it got only the western end of the peninsula --
          the eastern end had long been considered part of Michigan, Jones said.

          In 1835 Ohio had been a state since 1803. The Michigan territory's
          population numberted only about 6,000. Ohioans, who thought of the territory
          as unclaimed wilderness that they could more or less annex at will, claimed
          their boundary ran along a line north of the Maumee River. That assured
          Ohioans in the region of access to Lake Erie, an obviously important
          consideration.

          The claim conflicted with Congresssional guidelines for carving up the
          western lands as established in the Northwest Ordinance of 1787. But who
          really cared?

          But as the population of the Michigan territory grew, its officials
          also perceived the advantages of controlling the mouth of the Maumee. Plus,
          they had legal ground for this claim. It seemed quite clear that according
          to the Northwest Ordinance the boundary should be drawn from the tip of Lake
          Michigan eastward to Lake Erie, which would put the mouth of the Maumee in
          Michigan. Stevens T. Mason, governor of Michigan Territory

          When Michigan petitioned to become a state in 1835, Ohio began putting
          pressure on Congress in support of its claim to a boundary line extending to
          North Cape in Maumee Bay. Michigan objected. Ohio insisted.

          During the dispute, confusion reigned. People addressing letters to
          villages in the disputed territory sometimes gave the address as Ohio,
          sometimes as Michigan. At least one letter was addressed to someone in the
          "State of Confusion."

          "As with all such matters, the issue wasn't simple. It involved
          presidential politics, party alliances, poor maps, pride, and more," says
          Jones.

          "I contend that the solution was political," he said. "Had the matter
          gone to the Supreme Court, it probably would have been resolved in
          Michigan's favor. But President (Andrew) Jackson didn't want that. The year
          1836 was an election year. He was courting Ohio's electoral votes, and he
          worked out a political compromise."

          But before that could be reached, the war began.

          In February, Ohio's legislature voted to extend the state's
          jurisdiction over the Toledo Strip. Michigan Territory Gov. Stevens T. Mason
          responded that he would not hesitate "to resist to the utmost every
          encroachment or invasion upon the rights and soil of this territory."

          Ohio Gov. Robert Lucas, calling Mason's supposed bluff, showed up at
          Perrysburg, Ohio, along with 300 Ohio militiamen. Meanwhile, Gov. Mason
          marched to Monroe from Detroit, the territorial capital, with a "posse" of
          sheriff's deputies, who actually were Michigan militiamen.

          "Men galloping about--guns getting ready--wagons being filled with
          people and hurrying off, and everybody in commotion. The two armies
          struggled for a soggy week to find each other in the wilderness and swamps
          surrounding the region, but never did come in contact."

          When elements from Michigan and Ohio did meet, however, Michigan
          started the shooting. President Jackson had asked Gov. Mason to let Ohio
          commissioners run a survey of the disputed boundary line to just north of
          the Point Place. Gov. Mason refused. Ohio Gov. Robert Lucas

          When Gov. Lucas sent his surveyors out on April 26, a Michigan posse
          under Lenawee County Undersheriff William McNair met them. The undersheriff
          demanded that the Ohioans leave Michigan territory. They refused and shots
          were fired.

          No one was hit. But members of the surveying crew were arrested and
          charged with violating the Pains and Penalties Act, which prohibited Ohioans
          from exercising any authority in Michigan.

          Under Gov. Mason's orders, Gen. Jacob. W. Brown of Tecumseh combed the
          disputed territory, arresting Ohio officials, including the entire family of
          Maj. Benjamin Franklin Stickney. The Major was tied to his horse for the
          trip to the Monroe County Jail.

          Maj. Stickney's son, named Two (he had a brother named One), made a
          dramatic attempt to rescue his father by drawing a knife and lunging at
          Monroe County Sheriff Joseph Wood, wounding him in the thigh and drawing the
          only blood in the Toledo War.

          Congress eventually approved a bill admitting Michigan to statehood on
          the condition that it accept the northern boundary line, which effectively
          ended the matter. Or so everyone thought. As recently as 1972, the U.S.
          Supreme Court heard arguments from attorneys who still maintain that Toledo
          belongs in Michigan. But most Toledo War buffs consider that a footnote to
          the affair.

          A plaque dedicated in 1967 marks the spot in Ann Arbor where delegates met
          to consider the proposal by Congress that ended the conflict between
          Michigan and Ohio. From left are State Rep. Roy Smith of Ypsilanti, Jen
          Cotter of Elyria, Ohio, and Terry Pray of Charlotte, Mich. Cotter and Pray
          are descendants of participants in the assembly.

          (This story was compiled using clip and photo files of the Detroit News.)

          http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:AGbtegH0vUUJ:info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm%3Fid%3D168%26category%3Dlife+michigan+ohio+historic+invasions&hl=en

          As Mr. Hobbs has said ... "back to 1812"

          Yrs.,
          L2