Re: On This Day in Canadian Military History

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
      "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

      > '"Battle of Yonge Street."

      Wasn't there a pub involved? A great place to plan a rebellion and/or
      re-enactment around!

      Tom Fournier
      41st Regiment
    • Tom Fournier
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
        Pub for the afterwards of course! I am not advocating a pint and then
        a musket loaded with powder.

        Just wanted to clarify ...

        Tom
      • Ian Gardner
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
          'Course, if you really wanted to get press attention,
          now would be just the perfect time to be doing it
          (with or without the musket/beer mixture). :)

          Ian

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM

          > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
          > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
          > of square miles...

        • Peter Monahan
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
            Tom

            Montgomery's Tavern just north of what is now the corner of Yonge & Eglinton was wher the two "forces" met, although I'm not sure either was parttaking in Mr M's establishment. (been a while since I read this up). There's now a post office with bronze plaque commemorating the "battle" at the site - two short blocks n of Eg, west side, for those who live at the center of the known universe.

            From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>
            Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:04:46 EST
            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: On This Day in Canadian Military History

            "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

            > '"Battle of Yonge Street."

            Wasn't there a pub involved? A great place to plan a rebellion and/or
            re-enactment around!

            Tom Fournier
            41st Regiment

            Peter Monahan
            petermonahan@...
            705-435-0953 home
          • lalozon
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
              From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>

              "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?" '"Battle of Yonge
              Street."

              ---------

              Tom another Pub Battle was the War between Michigan and Ohio

              =========

              The mouth of the Maumee River at Toledo on Lake Erie was the prize in the
              1835 war between Ohio and the Michigan Territory.

              The war between Michigan and Ohio

              By Tom Jones / special to The Detroit News

              It was a "war" that both Ohio and Michigan could rightfully claim they
              won, a one-casualty conflict in which the only blood drawn came from a knife
              thrust into the leg of a Michigan sheriff.

              It was the Toledo War, a hotly contentious boundary dispute when it
              began in April, 1835, but now a source of amusement to many whose only
              knowledge of the war is from flawed accounts of the event. Historian Tom
              Jones

              Most ask why anyone would fight Ohio over Toledo -- especially since
              Michigan got the Upper Peninsula as consolation for losing the argument.

              The late Tom Jones, former director of the Historical Society of
              Michigan, called that a "common, hindsight reaction built on a
              misconception. It ignores a couple of points."

              First, Toledo as a significant entity didn't exist in 1835. And
              second, when the boundary arguement was settled, Michigan didn't get the
              Upper Peninsula in exchange, it got only the western end of the peninsula --
              the eastern end had long been considered part of Michigan, Jones said.

              In 1835 Ohio had been a state since 1803. The Michigan territory's
              population numberted only about 6,000. Ohioans, who thought of the territory
              as unclaimed wilderness that they could more or less annex at will, claimed
              their boundary ran along a line north of the Maumee River. That assured
              Ohioans in the region of access to Lake Erie, an obviously important
              consideration.

              The claim conflicted with Congresssional guidelines for carving up the
              western lands as established in the Northwest Ordinance of 1787. But who
              really cared?

              But as the population of the Michigan territory grew, its officials
              also perceived the advantages of controlling the mouth of the Maumee. Plus,
              they had legal ground for this claim. It seemed quite clear that according
              to the Northwest Ordinance the boundary should be drawn from the tip of Lake
              Michigan eastward to Lake Erie, which would put the mouth of the Maumee in
              Michigan. Stevens T. Mason, governor of Michigan Territory

              When Michigan petitioned to become a state in 1835, Ohio began putting
              pressure on Congress in support of its claim to a boundary line extending to
              North Cape in Maumee Bay. Michigan objected. Ohio insisted.

              During the dispute, confusion reigned. People addressing letters to
              villages in the disputed territory sometimes gave the address as Ohio,
              sometimes as Michigan. At least one letter was addressed to someone in the
              "State of Confusion."

              "As with all such matters, the issue wasn't simple. It involved
              presidential politics, party alliances, poor maps, pride, and more," says
              Jones.

              "I contend that the solution was political," he said. "Had the matter
              gone to the Supreme Court, it probably would have been resolved in
              Michigan's favor. But President (Andrew) Jackson didn't want that. The year
              1836 was an election year. He was courting Ohio's electoral votes, and he
              worked out a political compromise."

              But before that could be reached, the war began.

              In February, Ohio's legislature voted to extend the state's
              jurisdiction over the Toledo Strip. Michigan Territory Gov. Stevens T. Mason
              responded that he would not hesitate "to resist to the utmost every
              encroachment or invasion upon the rights and soil of this territory."

              Ohio Gov. Robert Lucas, calling Mason's supposed bluff, showed up at
              Perrysburg, Ohio, along with 300 Ohio militiamen. Meanwhile, Gov. Mason
              marched to Monroe from Detroit, the territorial capital, with a "posse" of
              sheriff's deputies, who actually were Michigan militiamen.

              "Men galloping about--guns getting ready--wagons being filled with
              people and hurrying off, and everybody in commotion. The two armies
              struggled for a soggy week to find each other in the wilderness and swamps
              surrounding the region, but never did come in contact."

              When elements from Michigan and Ohio did meet, however, Michigan
              started the shooting. President Jackson had asked Gov. Mason to let Ohio
              commissioners run a survey of the disputed boundary line to just north of
              the Point Place. Gov. Mason refused. Ohio Gov. Robert Lucas

              When Gov. Lucas sent his surveyors out on April 26, a Michigan posse
              under Lenawee County Undersheriff William McNair met them. The undersheriff
              demanded that the Ohioans leave Michigan territory. They refused and shots
              were fired.

              No one was hit. But members of the surveying crew were arrested and
              charged with violating the Pains and Penalties Act, which prohibited Ohioans
              from exercising any authority in Michigan.

              Under Gov. Mason's orders, Gen. Jacob. W. Brown of Tecumseh combed the
              disputed territory, arresting Ohio officials, including the entire family of
              Maj. Benjamin Franklin Stickney. The Major was tied to his horse for the
              trip to the Monroe County Jail.

              Maj. Stickney's son, named Two (he had a brother named One), made a
              dramatic attempt to rescue his father by drawing a knife and lunging at
              Monroe County Sheriff Joseph Wood, wounding him in the thigh and drawing the
              only blood in the Toledo War.

              Congress eventually approved a bill admitting Michigan to statehood on
              the condition that it accept the northern boundary line, which effectively
              ended the matter. Or so everyone thought. As recently as 1972, the U.S.
              Supreme Court heard arguments from attorneys who still maintain that Toledo
              belongs in Michigan. But most Toledo War buffs consider that a footnote to
              the affair.

              A plaque dedicated in 1967 marks the spot in Ann Arbor where delegates met
              to consider the proposal by Congress that ended the conflict between
              Michigan and Ohio. From left are State Rep. Roy Smith of Ypsilanti, Jen
              Cotter of Elyria, Ohio, and Terry Pray of Charlotte, Mich. Cotter and Pray
              are descendants of participants in the assembly.

              (This story was compiled using clip and photo files of the Detroit News.)

              http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:AGbtegH0vUUJ:info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm%3Fid%3D168%26category%3Dlife+michigan+ohio+historic+invasions&hl=en

              As Mr. Hobbs has said ... "back to 1812"

              Yrs.,
              L2