On This Day in Canadian Military History

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
      Pardon the out of period post, but I came across this tidbit at the
      Canadian War Museum wwebsite./ I believe it answers the question of a
      good friend of mine: "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

      '"Battle of Yonge Street." A group of "revolutionaries" are marching
      down Yonge Street in Toronto and are met by Loyalist volunteers who
      begin firing at them. When some of the rebels kneel to fire their
      weapons, the men at the back believe they have bbeen shot and flee in
      panic, prompting the collapse of the entire rebel column. It is an
      auspicious beginning to William Lyon Mackenzie's rebellion in Upper
      Canada."

      And who says Canadian history is dull? :7)

      Peter Monahan
    • Tom Fournier
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
        "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

        > '"Battle of Yonge Street."

        Wasn't there a pub involved? A great place to plan a rebellion and/or
        re-enactment around!

        Tom Fournier
        41st Regiment
      • Tom Fournier
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
          Pub for the afterwards of course! I am not advocating a pint and then
          a musket loaded with powder.

          Just wanted to clarify ...

          Tom
        • Ian Gardner
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
            'Course, if you really wanted to get press attention,
            now would be just the perfect time to be doing it
            (with or without the musket/beer mixture). :)

            Ian

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM

            > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
            > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
            > of square miles...

          • Peter Monahan
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
              Tom

              Montgomery's Tavern just north of what is now the corner of Yonge & Eglinton was wher the two "forces" met, although I'm not sure either was parttaking in Mr M's establishment. (been a while since I read this up). There's now a post office with bronze plaque commemorating the "battle" at the site - two short blocks n of Eg, west side, for those who live at the center of the known universe.

              From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>
              Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:04:46 EST
              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: On This Day in Canadian Military History

              "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

              > '"Battle of Yonge Street."

              Wasn't there a pub involved? A great place to plan a rebellion and/or
              re-enactment around!

              Tom Fournier
              41st Regiment

              Peter Monahan
              petermonahan@...
              705-435-0953 home
            • lalozon
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
                From: "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>

                "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?" '"Battle of Yonge
                Street."

                ---------

                Tom another Pub Battle was the War between Michigan and Ohio

                =========

                The mouth of the Maumee River at Toledo on Lake Erie was the prize in the
                1835 war between Ohio and the Michigan Territory.

                The war between Michigan and Ohio

                By Tom Jones / special to The Detroit News

                It was a "war" that both Ohio and Michigan could rightfully claim they
                won, a one-casualty conflict in which the only blood drawn came from a knife
                thrust into the leg of a Michigan sheriff.

                It was the Toledo War, a hotly contentious boundary dispute when it
                began in April, 1835, but now a source of amusement to many whose only
                knowledge of the war is from flawed accounts of the event. Historian Tom
                Jones

                Most ask why anyone would fight Ohio over Toledo -- especially since
                Michigan got the Upper Peninsula as consolation for losing the argument.

                The late Tom Jones, former director of the Historical Society of
                Michigan, called that a "common, hindsight reaction built on a
                misconception. It ignores a couple of points."

                First, Toledo as a significant entity didn't exist in 1835. And
                second, when the boundary arguement was settled, Michigan didn't get the
                Upper Peninsula in exchange, it got only the western end of the peninsula --
                the eastern end had long been considered part of Michigan, Jones said.

                In 1835 Ohio had been a state since 1803. The Michigan territory's
                population numberted only about 6,000. Ohioans, who thought of the territory
                as unclaimed wilderness that they could more or less annex at will, claimed
                their boundary ran along a line north of the Maumee River. That assured
                Ohioans in the region of access to Lake Erie, an obviously important
                consideration.

                The claim conflicted with Congresssional guidelines for carving up the
                western lands as established in the Northwest Ordinance of 1787. But who
                really cared?

                But as the population of the Michigan territory grew, its officials
                also perceived the advantages of controlling the mouth of the Maumee. Plus,
                they had legal ground for this claim. It seemed quite clear that according
                to the Northwest Ordinance the boundary should be drawn from the tip of Lake
                Michigan eastward to Lake Erie, which would put the mouth of the Maumee in
                Michigan. Stevens T. Mason, governor of Michigan Territory

                When Michigan petitioned to become a state in 1835, Ohio began putting
                pressure on Congress in support of its claim to a boundary line extending to
                North Cape in Maumee Bay. Michigan objected. Ohio insisted.

                During the dispute, confusion reigned. People addressing letters to
                villages in the disputed territory sometimes gave the address as Ohio,
                sometimes as Michigan. At least one letter was addressed to someone in the
                "State of Confusion."

                "As with all such matters, the issue wasn't simple. It involved
                presidential politics, party alliances, poor maps, pride, and more," says
                Jones.

                "I contend that the solution was political," he said. "Had the matter
                gone to the Supreme Court, it probably would have been resolved in
                Michigan's favor. But President (Andrew) Jackson didn't want that. The year
                1836 was an election year. He was courting Ohio's electoral votes, and he
                worked out a political compromise."

                But before that could be reached, the war began.

                In February, Ohio's legislature voted to extend the state's
                jurisdiction over the Toledo Strip. Michigan Territory Gov. Stevens T. Mason
                responded that he would not hesitate "to resist to the utmost every
                encroachment or invasion upon the rights and soil of this territory."

                Ohio Gov. Robert Lucas, calling Mason's supposed bluff, showed up at
                Perrysburg, Ohio, along with 300 Ohio militiamen. Meanwhile, Gov. Mason
                marched to Monroe from Detroit, the territorial capital, with a "posse" of
                sheriff's deputies, who actually were Michigan militiamen.

                "Men galloping about--guns getting ready--wagons being filled with
                people and hurrying off, and everybody in commotion. The two armies
                struggled for a soggy week to find each other in the wilderness and swamps
                surrounding the region, but never did come in contact."

                When elements from Michigan and Ohio did meet, however, Michigan
                started the shooting. President Jackson had asked Gov. Mason to let Ohio
                commissioners run a survey of the disputed boundary line to just north of
                the Point Place. Gov. Mason refused. Ohio Gov. Robert Lucas

                When Gov. Lucas sent his surveyors out on April 26, a Michigan posse
                under Lenawee County Undersheriff William McNair met them. The undersheriff
                demanded that the Ohioans leave Michigan territory. They refused and shots
                were fired.

                No one was hit. But members of the surveying crew were arrested and
                charged with violating the Pains and Penalties Act, which prohibited Ohioans
                from exercising any authority in Michigan.

                Under Gov. Mason's orders, Gen. Jacob. W. Brown of Tecumseh combed the
                disputed territory, arresting Ohio officials, including the entire family of
                Maj. Benjamin Franklin Stickney. The Major was tied to his horse for the
                trip to the Monroe County Jail.

                Maj. Stickney's son, named Two (he had a brother named One), made a
                dramatic attempt to rescue his father by drawing a knife and lunging at
                Monroe County Sheriff Joseph Wood, wounding him in the thigh and drawing the
                only blood in the Toledo War.

                Congress eventually approved a bill admitting Michigan to statehood on
                the condition that it accept the northern boundary line, which effectively
                ended the matter. Or so everyone thought. As recently as 1972, the U.S.
                Supreme Court heard arguments from attorneys who still maintain that Toledo
                belongs in Michigan. But most Toledo War buffs consider that a footnote to
                the affair.

                A plaque dedicated in 1967 marks the spot in Ann Arbor where delegates met
                to consider the proposal by Congress that ended the conflict between
                Michigan and Ohio. From left are State Rep. Roy Smith of Ypsilanti, Jen
                Cotter of Elyria, Ohio, and Terry Pray of Charlotte, Mich. Cotter and Pray
                are descendants of participants in the assembly.

                (This story was compiled using clip and photo files of the Detroit News.)

                http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:AGbtegH0vUUJ:info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm%3Fid%3D168%26category%3Dlife+michigan+ohio+historic+invasions&hl=en

                As Mr. Hobbs has said ... "back to 1812"

                Yrs.,
                L2