Re: [WarOf1812] 2 Muskets for Sale

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
      Larry,

      Can you please send me the images?

      Craig
      On 4-Dec-05, at 6:44 PM, Larry Maxwell wrote:

      > Greetings,
      > I have two 3rd Model Brown Bess reproduction Muskets for sale. We
      > have
      > used thme faithfully in our Rev War unit and they are great shooters.
      > Thye are really more appropriate for War of 1812 than they are for Rev
      > War. I have pictures I can forward. One is $500 and one is $600, plus
      > shipping (or you can pick it up). Feel free to contact me off list.
      > Have a Great Day!
      > Dr. Larry A. Maxwell
      > Living History Guild

      > ~-->
      > 1.2 million kids a year are victims of human trafficking. Stop
      > slavery.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/PJ_qlB/TM
      > ~->

      > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
      > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

    • lalozon
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
        From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>

        The most common number given for captured stands of arms at Detroit (1812)
        is 2500. Remember also that I came across a number of references which
        reported that militia units is western Upper Canada were known to be
        equipped with actual French muskets from British arsenals (which were so
        listed) at the beginning of 1812.

        In the Militia Return dated 24 March 1813, the Fifth Company of the 1st
        Regiment, Kent Militia commanded by Captain John Dolsen. This was a Rifle
        Company with one hundred and sixteen issued government rifles and thirty
        additional privately owned rifles.

        In another Militia Return dated (??) [I don't have the date at hand] it
        reports that the 1st Regiment, Kent Militia were issues British Military
        muskets with an auxiliary issue of US Military muskets from the fall of Fort
        Detroit.

        It seems the Kents were issued Government arms

        For those not from North America, Kent County is in South Western Ontario
        approx. 45 miles from Windsor which is across the river from Detroit. It is
        now the regional government of Chatham-Kent

        Yrs.,
        L2
      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
          Greetings,

          I am far from being an authority on Stand of Arms.

          In 1803 the papers transferring Private John Potts to Capt. M. Lewis for
          the L & C expedition consisted of one listing his clothing and one
          listing musket, bayonet & scabbard, cartridge box, belt plate. flints
          and I think 12 cartridges. Would seem to describe a stand of arms to
          me. Steve or Dave, help me here!

          Regards,

          Bob Dorian
          [seldom a pvt. soldier]
        • md5_yager
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
            In several arms shipment documents dated during the American Rev
            War, "stand of arms" references include separate identification of a
            identical number of 'cartouche boxes', e.g. 300 stand of arms, 300
            cartouche boxes; twelve hundred stand of arms, twelve hundred cartouche
            boxes, etc. Flints, powder, lead are identified separately. The
            references do not separately identify bayonets, carriages, etc.

            There seems to be only one interpretation, i.e. a "stand of arms" is
            one musket (and presumably also its bayonet). As the colonies were
            British, it seems certain their use of the term would be identical to
            the use of the term in the rest of the Empire.

            Dave