[WarOf1812] 2 Muskets for Sale

  • Larry Maxwell
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2005
      Greetings,
      I have two 3rd Model Brown Bess reproduction Muskets for sale. We have
      used thme faithfully in our Rev War unit and they are great shooters.
      Thye are really more appropriate for War of 1812 than they are for Rev
      War. I have pictures I can forward. One is $500 and one is $600, plus
      shipping (or you can pick it up). Feel free to contact me off list.
      Have a Great Day!
      Dr. Larry A. Maxwell
      Living History Guild
    • Tom Fournier
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2005
        Accoutrements or appointments aside, a number of times large numbers
        of US arms were captured in actions associated with the 41st.
        Certainly at Detroit and also at Queenston Heights.

        I recall reading a District General Order in the Niagara area (in
        William Woods I believe) that had the militia units come together so
        that they could sort out their muskets. The desire was to have
        uniformity (is that a word?) in their muskets - for example, one
        group would have all captured US arms, another would have British
        issued arms. This way the ammunition could be kept straight.

        In terms of the fuzils in the 41st's 1814 return, it is my opinion
        that they were Sergeant's muskets for the light infantry.

        I believe it was Gord Deans and Phil Graf who pointed out the
        existence of a Sergeant's India Pattern musket - shorter and smaller
        calibre than the standard India Pattern. I have gone searching and
        have found references to the light company's Sergeants having
        carried muskets but also the continued use of spontoons by Sergeants
        for line and grenadier companies. There is also a return that I
        came across for the 41st showing a request for 4 slings for
        Sergeant's firelocks.

        In 1812 the 41st were granted a second battalion, so if there were
        two light companies in Canada in 1813, that could double the number
        of Sergeant's muskets.

        How many Sergeants would be in an regiment? The return seemed to
        indicate 44 but this would include the colour party.

        What if the other NCOs of the light company also had these
        Sergeant's muskets? Could we be getting close to the 29 fuzils?

        Also, I would ask everyone to recall the situation the 41st were
        in. They had two battalions in Canada. These were hard used units
        in lots of actions with a number of casualties and prisoners. They
        could only account for 500 muskets out of a suggested strength of
        900 men. They had 1300 men at least on paper in 1812. If the
        expectation of the Board of Ordnance was that a musket was to last
        12 years, then they had a serious shortfall! Out of desperation,
        could they have resorted to American arms knowing that ammunition
        for the Sergeant's muskets would work? I suppose it is possible.

        I guess the need is to find a return that clearly indicates the type
        of muskets that a regiment had. The search shall continue.

        Anyways lots of clues that got us tantalizingly close to an answer
        but yet with no resolution. All the same an interesting topic!

        Thank you for the thoughts, ideas and opinions.

        Your most humble and obedient servant,

        Tom Fournier
        41st Regiment of Foot
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
          Larry,

          Can you please send me the images?

          Craig
          On 4-Dec-05, at 6:44 PM, Larry Maxwell wrote:

          > Greetings,
          > I have two 3rd Model Brown Bess reproduction Muskets for sale. We
          > have
          > used thme faithfully in our Rev War unit and they are great shooters.
          > Thye are really more appropriate for War of 1812 than they are for Rev
          > War. I have pictures I can forward. One is $500 and one is $600, plus
          > shipping (or you can pick it up). Feel free to contact me off list.
          > Have a Great Day!
          > Dr. Larry A. Maxwell
          > Living History Guild

          > ~-->
          > 1.2 million kids a year are victims of human trafficking. Stop
          > slavery.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/PJ_qlB/TM
          > ~->

          > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
          > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

        • lalozon
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
            From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>

            The most common number given for captured stands of arms at Detroit (1812)
            is 2500. Remember also that I came across a number of references which
            reported that militia units is western Upper Canada were known to be
            equipped with actual French muskets from British arsenals (which were so
            listed) at the beginning of 1812.

            In the Militia Return dated 24 March 1813, the Fifth Company of the 1st
            Regiment, Kent Militia commanded by Captain John Dolsen. This was a Rifle
            Company with one hundred and sixteen issued government rifles and thirty
            additional privately owned rifles.

            In another Militia Return dated (??) [I don't have the date at hand] it
            reports that the 1st Regiment, Kent Militia were issues British Military
            muskets with an auxiliary issue of US Military muskets from the fall of Fort
            Detroit.

            It seems the Kents were issued Government arms

            For those not from North America, Kent County is in South Western Ontario
            approx. 45 miles from Windsor which is across the river from Detroit. It is
            now the regional government of Chatham-Kent

            Yrs.,
            L2
          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
              Greetings,

              I am far from being an authority on Stand of Arms.

              In 1803 the papers transferring Private John Potts to Capt. M. Lewis for
              the L & C expedition consisted of one listing his clothing and one
              listing musket, bayonet & scabbard, cartridge box, belt plate. flints
              and I think 12 cartridges. Would seem to describe a stand of arms to
              me. Steve or Dave, help me here!

              Regards,

              Bob Dorian
              [seldom a pvt. soldier]
            • md5_yager
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2005
                In several arms shipment documents dated during the American Rev
                War, "stand of arms" references include separate identification of a
                identical number of 'cartouche boxes', e.g. 300 stand of arms, 300
                cartouche boxes; twelve hundred stand of arms, twelve hundred cartouche
                boxes, etc. Flints, powder, lead are identified separately. The
                references do not separately identify bayonets, carriages, etc.

                There seems to be only one interpretation, i.e. a "stand of arms" is
                one musket (and presumably also its bayonet). As the colonies were
                British, it seems certain their use of the term would be identical to
                the use of the term in the rest of the Empire.

                Dave