Happy THANKSGIVINGS DAY!

  • lalozon
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 24, 2005
      To all Americans

      Happy THANKSGIVINGS DAY!

      We Canucks had our Thanksgiving Day on Mississinewa Monday (Oct 10)

      Yrs.,
      L2

      PS: You are what you eat ... Having TURKEY? ;-)

      PPS: It is really the Great White North as we get blasted by a snow storm
      today in the Great Lakes Area :-(
    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 24, 2005
        Hi Unkle Lar,

        Thanks!

        Regards,

        Bob
      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 24, 2005
          To echo Larry Lozon's message, here's a repeated good wish for a happy
          Thanksgiving to all our Yank comrades-in-arms from the Naval Establishment,
          Crown Forces North America.
          Have a good one, mates!!

          Yours aye

          Vic Suthren
          Naval Establishment, CFNA
          Merrickville, Canada
          > We Canucks had our Thanksgiving Day on Mississinewa Monday (Oct 10)
          >

          > Yrs.,
          > L2
          >
          > PS: You are what you eat ... Having TURKEY? ;-)
          >
          > PPS: It is really the Great White North as we get blasted by a snow storm
          > today in the Great Lakes Area :-(

          square miles...

          > --

        • John Ogden
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 24, 2005
            On behalf of my nation and comrades in arms, thank you for the holiday
            greeting. We are also getting a fair bit of snow down my way (Pittsburgh
            PA), with a pretty fair covering of white over everything (we're not all *
            that* far south of Lake Erie), so I'm feeling a certain connection with our
            neighbors to the north today...

            John Ogden
            17th US Inf (probationary)

            On 11/24/05, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:

            > To echo Larry Lozon's message, here's a repeated good wish for a happy
            > Thanksgiving to all our Yank comrades-in-arms from the Naval
            > Establishment,
            > Crown Forces North America.
            > Have a good one, mates!!
            >
            > Yours aye
            >
            > Vic Suthren
            > Naval Establishment, CFNA
            > Merrickville, Canada

            Fortuna audentes favorit.

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 24, 2005
              Turkey & ham, 'taters and gravy, stuffing, green beans, salad plus
              pumpkin pie and pecan pie, washed down with some Vouvray. Now I'm ready
              to hibernate. : ^)

              Thanks for the good wishes.

              Regards,

              Bob
            • lalozon
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 24, 2005
                From: Robert Dorian <dancingbobd@...>

                Turkey & ham, 'taters and gravy, stuffing, green beans, salad plus pumpkin
                pie and pecan pie, washed down with some Vouvray. Now I'm ready to
                hibernate. : ^)

                Mr. Gratiot

                You raise a glass of 'Vouvray'
                A dry white wine from central France, made in the Loire valley of Chenin
                Blanc grapes.

                I would have taken you for a 'Cabernet Sauvignon'

                Either way enjoy .....

                Yrs.,
                L2

                Thanksgiving Origin

                During the winter of 1620, half of the 102 Mayflower passengers
                (Pilgrims) who settled in Plymouth, Massachusetts, died. The following
                spring, a Native American named Squanto helped those who survived plant corn
                and barley. Their autumn harvest was a success and the colony held a
                thanksgiving celebration, inviting Massasoit, chief of the Wampanoag tribe,
                to join their feast. Encyclopaedia Britannica gives this account:

                "Plymouth's Thanksgiving began with a few colonists going out "fowling,"
                possibly for turkeys but more probably for the easier prey of geese and
                ducks, since they "in one day killed as much as...served the company almost
                a week." Next, 90 or so Wampanoag made a surprise appearance at the
                settlement's gate, doubtlessly unnerving the 50 or so colonists.
                Nevertheless, over the next few days the two groups socialized without
                incident. The Wampanoag contributed venison to the feast, which included the
                fowl and probably fish, eels, shellfish, stews, vegetables, and beer."

                The standard Thanksgiving meal of turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and
                pumpkin pie does not really reflect the original Plymouth event!

                The US Continental Congress proclaimed a national Thanksgiving upon the
                enactment of the Constitution, but by 1798 the celebration of Thanksgiving
                was left up to the individual states.
              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 24, 2005
                  L2,

                  Thought that it would go better with turkey and ham. Also took some
                  shiraz!

                  Bought old vine zinfandel and pinot noir the last time that I bought
                  wine. In general, cabernet/claret need to age longer than I want to
                  invest. If they aren't aged, there is too much tannin for me.

                  I drink a lot more red than white. I do also like late harvest German
                  rieslings. Oh, and don't forget Almond Sherry, not available here in
                  the US. ; ^ (

                  Warm regards,

                  Gratiot
                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 25, 2005
                    We had a nice Gerfurztemainereminerrfurstz-whatever with our Turkey, said
                    which (almost) always goes well with! (And it did!)
                    Mr and Mrs B

                    In a message dated 24/11/2005 6:08:37 PM, lalozon@... writes:

                    > Mr. Gratiot
                    > You raise a glass of 'Vouvray'
                    > A dry white wine from central France, made in the Loire valley of Chenin
                    > Blanc grapes.
                    >
                    > I would have taken you for a 'Cabernet Sauvignon'
                    >
                    > Either way enjoy .....
                    >
                    > Yrs.,
                    >    L2

                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    THE Thin Red Line
                    93rdhighlanders.com

                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 25, 2005
                      Greetings from Crown Forces West!
                      Here in the Southern part, we had lovely blue skies and 70 degree F weather.
                      And no sightings of George Clooney. (Or anyone else.)

                      In a message dated 24/11/2005 12:43:08 PM, johnjogden@... writes:
                      > On behalf of my nation and comrades in arms, thank you for the holiday
                      > greeting.  We are also getting a fair bit of snow down my way (Pittsburgh
                      > PA), with a pretty fair covering of white over everything (we're not all *
                      > that* far south of Lake Erie), so I'm feeling a certain connection with our
                      > neighbors to the north today...
                      >
                      > John Ogden
                      > 17th US Inf (probationary)

                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      93rdhighlanders.com

                    • Craig Williams
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 25, 2005
                        Benton....
                        Why George Clooney? I thought the "game" was "Six Degrees of Kevin
                        Bacon".

                        Craig (2 degrees of Kevin Bacon) Williams
                      • HQ93rd@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 27, 2005
                          In a message dated 25/11/2005 5:01:51 AM, sgtwarner@... writes:
                          > Benton....
                          > Why George Clooney? I thought the "game" was "Six Degrees of Kevin
                          > Bacon".
                          >
                          > Craig (2 degrees of Kevin Bacon) Williams

                          It is, but Clooney is more "recent" and "it". (Not taking away from Bacon,
                          but then it does at the same time doesn't it? Oh well...)

                          B (I think I'm one degree away from both)
                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                          THE Thin Red Line
                          93rdhighlanders.com

                        • Craig Williams
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 28, 2005

                            Oh...So George Clooney is the new Kevin Bacon?!
                            I wonder how he feels about that?
                            Now here's the thing....What constitutes 1degree, 2degrees etc?
                            I worked with Jay Saunders and he was in JFK with Bacon. Is that 1 or
                            2 degrees?

                            Craig

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                              I think it works a "1 degree of separation", so in your case below that would
                              be 1 degree.
                              Naturally, there would be no degree of separation from Jay Saunders.
                              And most of us on here may be only one degree from Johnny Depp due to General
                              Twist.
                              (Howz dat for getting it back to an 1812 track?)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                                Sweeeet!

                                On 30-Nov-05, at 6:04 PM, HQ93rd@... wrote:

                                > I think it works a "1 degree of separation", so in your case below
                                > that would
                                > be 1 degree.
                                > Naturally, there would be no degree of separation from Jay Saunders.
                                > And most of us on here may be only one degree from Johnny Depp due
                                > to General
                                > Twist.
                                > (Howz dat for getting it back to an 1812 track?)
                                >

                                > In a message dated 28/11/2005 6:11:31 AM, sgtwarner@...
                                > writes:
                                >

                                >> Oh...So George Clooney is the new Kevin Bacon?!
                                >> I wonder how he feels about that?
                                >> Now here's the thing....What constitutes 1degree, 2degrees etc?
                                >> I worked with Jay Saunders and he was in JFK with Bacon. Is that 1 or
                                >> 2 degrees?
                                >>

                                >> Craig
                                >>
                                >>> It is, but Clooney is more "recent" and "it". (Not taking away from
                                >>> Bacon,
                                >>> but then it does at the same time doesn't it? Oh well...)
                                >>>
                                >>> B (I think I'm one degree away from both)
                                >>

                                > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                > THE Thin Red Line
                                > 93rdhighlanders.com

                                > ~-->
                                > Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for
                                > Good!
                                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM
                                > ~->

                                > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
                                > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

                              • Len Heidebrecht
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@a... wrote:
                                  .
                                  > And most of us on here may be only one degree from Johnny Depp due
                                  to General
                                  > Twist.

                                  General Twist, heck I knew him (in these inflationary times) as a
                                  Major Twist! Actually, I knew him once as a Peter, but that is a tale
                                  of long ago...

                                  Cheers,

                                  Len
                                  Hmm, another Glen Morangie would do well now...