Re: [WarOf1812] In the beginning . . .

  • Richard Feltoe
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
      Erika,
      In Carl Benn's book, "Historic Fort York" published in 1993, page 152 has a
      photo of the Fort York opening day celebrations on Victoria Day 1934. In
      this image, as well as various dignitaries, a sailor in "modern" uniform and
      a two groups of ladies from what appears to be in the first instance an
      Ukranian and in the second, a Highland dance group (OMG multiculturalism was
      there then too!!!); there are a pair of ladies in quasi late 18th century
      dresses (perhaps a la Simcoe?) and a pair of infantrymen wearing an
      identifiably redcoat /dark pants / white crossbelts / stovepipe shako, kit.

      I think this is the earliest identifiable image that I'm aware of for an
      "1812 reenactor" in conjunction with that site or any other in the Ontario.
      however, you do pose an interesting question and I'm going to see if
      anything else crops up in some of the picture collections I have links to.
      Regards
      Richard Feltoe
    • spikeyj@crosslink.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
        On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Richard Feltoe wrote:

        > In Carl Benn's book, "Historic Fort York" published in 1993, page 152 has a
        > photo of the Fort York opening day celebrations on Victoria Day 1934. In
        > this image, as well as various dignitaries, a sailor in "modern" uniform and
        > a two groups of ladies from what appears to be in the first instance an
        > Ukranian...

        Polish; my daughter's dance costume is virtually identical.

        Spike Y Jones
      • Richard Feltoe
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
          I stand humbly corrected
          Richard
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
            In a message dated 11/1/2005 5:12:27 PM Central Standard Time,
            ciefranche21e@... writes:

            And we can't forget, however much we might try, the episode in I think
            "Sharpe's Regiment" where he "recreates" the mythical taking of the Eagle at
            Talavera to get the Prince of Wales to make them his own regiment, thereby saving
            them from being broken up. Ah Sharpie, e's a clever boy.

            On the serious side, I recall reading about a big ceremony called something
            like "The Presentation of the Eagles" in England in 1811 or 1812. But there
            was no mention in the bit I read about a reenactment.

            As you know Michael Mr. Cornwell usualy gets his best ideas from history
            books and the the 'Sharpe' thing is based on an actual 're-enactment' of the
            period but I can't remember wether at Hyde Park or Windsor. I do recall it was
            at the Prince Regent's instigation and I think most of the troops were
            volunteers. As I have just got back home I will be able to look this up shortly.

          • PEGGY MATHEWS
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
              The event I was trying to remember (tune out now folks if Napoleonics put you off) was May 18, 1811. A big procession with the Foot Guards decked out in their finest paraded assorted French trophies along a long route, ending with the "formal act of obeisance and humiliation of the vanquished" (General Regnault "Les Aigles Imperiales et le Drapeau Tricolore). The highlight was the Eagle taken at Barossa, though the others were much older. Five taken in the Antilles, a flag captured in Egypt, a fortress standard taken in Spain, a pennon of the 2nd Bttn. 5th Ligne, two flags w/o Eagles of the 2nd and 3rd Prussian (taken at Walcheren), and a color of a provisional regiment. Certainly could have been more ceremonies than this though. I don't recall in which year Mr. Cornwell set his event.

              In "Napoleon's War in Spain" by Henri Lachouque, Jean Tranie and J-C Carnigniani they assert that "in seven years of campaigning in Spain the French took 387 trophies, among which were 320 Spanish colours, 45 Portuguese colours and 22 British colours. The French army had lost only 11 Eagles, 8 of which had fallen to the British." p.125. There is no documentation of the numbers however. I can only think of a little over a half dozen British standards lost. Perhaps some were unofficial pennons or markers. The work otherwise is fairly balanced IMHO and numbers typically jive with other sources.

              Sincerely,
              Michael

              "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it --
              but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver
              Wendell Holmes