Re: [WarOf1812] In the beginning . . .

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
      In a message dated 11/1/05 1:20:48 AM, ms_civie@... writes:

      > I found this very fascinating as I had no idea that our hobby went
      > back over 150 years.  But it did leave me wondering about the origins
      > of reenactments in Canada and for the War of 1812.  Does anyone know
      > approximately when they emerged and became popularized?

      Actualy re-enactments are far older than that, gladiatorial combat started as
      re-creations of aincient battles to honour the dead. I think the first
      re-enactments of the type we do took place in London during the Napoleonic wars
      where Peninsular war actions wouild be re-staged to encourage the public
      (sometimes by newlt returned regiments). Then of ciourse there was the Eglington
      Topunament of 18(35?) where medieval re-enactment was born.

      Timothy Pickles

    • Terry Lubka
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
        I read somewhere that at one of the first 'recreations' of an ACW
        battle was having veterans of Pickett's charge actually walk across
        that field. When the old Rebs made it to the small stone wall or
        Highwater mark some of them actually started fistfights with the Union
        vets!
        In Canada interest from the general population in reenacting started
        during the centennial year when numerous 1812 forts did mock battles.

        Terry
        22nd US
      • Terry Lubka

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
            Dear Terry

            I read an account of an 1893 restaging of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg.
            The veterans took up their respective positions and as the Confederates
            approached, the Union veterans rose up with a roar of approval and went down
            to meet them for handshakes and embraces. Many tears flowed.

            Vic
            > I read somewhere that at one of the first 'recreations' of an ACW
            > battle was having veterans of Pickett's charge actually walk across
            > that field. When the old Rebs made it to the small stone wall or
            > Highwater mark some of them actually started fistfights with the Union
            > vets!
            > In Canada interest from the general population in reenacting started
            > during the centennial year when numerous 1812 forts did mock battles.
            >

            > Terry
            > 22nd US

            square miles...

            > --

          • PEGGY MATHEWS
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
              And we can't forget, however much we might try, the episode in I think "Sharpe's Regiment" where he "recreates" the mythical taking of the Eagle at Talavera to get the Prince of Wales to make them his own regiment, thereby saving them from being broken up. Ah Sharpie, e's a clever boy.

              On the serious side, I recall reading about a big ceremony called something like "The Presentation of the Eagles" in England in 1811 or 1812. But there was no mention in the bit I read about a reenactment.

              Michael M.

              "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it --
              but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver
              Wendell Holmes
              > I found this very fascinating as I had no idea that our hobby went
              > back over 150 years. But it did leave me wondering about the origins
              > of reenactments in Canada and for the War of 1812. Does anyone know
              > approximately when they emerged and became popularized?

              Actualy re-enactments are far older than that, gladiatorial combat started as
              re-creations of aincient battles to honour the dead. I think the first
              re-enactments of the type we do took place in London during the Napoleonic wars
              where Peninsular war actions wouild be re-staged to encourage the public
              (sometimes by newly returned regiments). Then of course there was the Eglington
              Topunament of 18(35?) where medieval re-enactment was born.

            • Richard Feltoe
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
                Erika,
                In Carl Benn's book, "Historic Fort York" published in 1993, page 152 has a
                photo of the Fort York opening day celebrations on Victoria Day 1934. In
                this image, as well as various dignitaries, a sailor in "modern" uniform and
                a two groups of ladies from what appears to be in the first instance an
                Ukranian and in the second, a Highland dance group (OMG multiculturalism was
                there then too!!!); there are a pair of ladies in quasi late 18th century
                dresses (perhaps a la Simcoe?) and a pair of infantrymen wearing an
                identifiably redcoat /dark pants / white crossbelts / stovepipe shako, kit.

                I think this is the earliest identifiable image that I'm aware of for an
                "1812 reenactor" in conjunction with that site or any other in the Ontario.
                however, you do pose an interesting question and I'm going to see if
                anything else crops up in some of the picture collections I have links to.
                Regards
                Richard Feltoe
              • spikeyj@crosslink.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
                  On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Richard Feltoe wrote:

                  > In Carl Benn's book, "Historic Fort York" published in 1993, page 152 has a
                  > photo of the Fort York opening day celebrations on Victoria Day 1934. In
                  > this image, as well as various dignitaries, a sailor in "modern" uniform and
                  > a two groups of ladies from what appears to be in the first instance an
                  > Ukranian...

                  Polish; my daughter's dance costume is virtually identical.

                  Spike Y Jones
                • Richard Feltoe
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
                    I stand humbly corrected
                    Richard
                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
                      In a message dated 11/1/2005 5:12:27 PM Central Standard Time,
                      ciefranche21e@... writes:

                      And we can't forget, however much we might try, the episode in I think
                      "Sharpe's Regiment" where he "recreates" the mythical taking of the Eagle at
                      Talavera to get the Prince of Wales to make them his own regiment, thereby saving
                      them from being broken up. Ah Sharpie, e's a clever boy.

                      On the serious side, I recall reading about a big ceremony called something
                      like "The Presentation of the Eagles" in England in 1811 or 1812. But there
                      was no mention in the bit I read about a reenactment.

                      As you know Michael Mr. Cornwell usualy gets his best ideas from history
                      books and the the 'Sharpe' thing is based on an actual 're-enactment' of the
                      period but I can't remember wether at Hyde Park or Windsor. I do recall it was
                      at the Prince Regent's instigation and I think most of the troops were
                      volunteers. As I have just got back home I will be able to look this up shortly.

                    • PEGGY MATHEWS
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 1, 2005
                        The event I was trying to remember (tune out now folks if Napoleonics put you off) was May 18, 1811. A big procession with the Foot Guards decked out in their finest paraded assorted French trophies along a long route, ending with the "formal act of obeisance and humiliation of the vanquished" (General Regnault "Les Aigles Imperiales et le Drapeau Tricolore). The highlight was the Eagle taken at Barossa, though the others were much older. Five taken in the Antilles, a flag captured in Egypt, a fortress standard taken in Spain, a pennon of the 2nd Bttn. 5th Ligne, two flags w/o Eagles of the 2nd and 3rd Prussian (taken at Walcheren), and a color of a provisional regiment. Certainly could have been more ceremonies than this though. I don't recall in which year Mr. Cornwell set his event.

                        In "Napoleon's War in Spain" by Henri Lachouque, Jean Tranie and J-C Carnigniani they assert that "in seven years of campaigning in Spain the French took 387 trophies, among which were 320 Spanish colours, 45 Portuguese colours and 22 British colours. The French army had lost only 11 Eagles, 8 of which had fallen to the British." p.125. There is no documentation of the numbers however. I can only think of a little over a half dozen British standards lost. Perhaps some were unofficial pennons or markers. The work otherwise is fairly balanced IMHO and numbers typically jive with other sources.

                        Sincerely,
                        Michael