REPLY#2: [WarOf1812] Was Alfred at the Battle of Detroit?

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2005
      Gentlemen;

      We have already denied poor Brock any mention of the love of his life in serious history; do you now propose to deny him any mention of his dear Alfred in death.

      In 'The Life and Correspondence of Sir Isaac Brock', Col. Baynes (to Brock) describes Alfred as being "ten years old, but being a high bred horse, and latterly but very little worked, he may be considered as still perfectly fresh. [and ...] that the whole continent of America could not furnish you with so safe and excellent a horse."

      Surely, anyone setting out from Fort George on October 13th, 1812 to gallop in the dark to Queenston Heights would choose the best horse available.

      Again on October 16th, 1812, in the funeral procession to Fort George, we find the General's horse faithfully preceding Brock's coffin.

      I doubt if just any old horse was substituted on these historic occasions.

      Unmask the dastardly author who denies Alfred his rightful place in history and I will be pleased to meet him at ten paces over cutlasses or pistols on any ground of his choosing.

      This above diversion aside, the question still remains. How did Isaac Brock travel about Upper Canada from canoe to sailing ship to foot to horse to buggy etc. all in the same journey? I doubt if they had Hertz Rent-A-Horse in those days and I doubt that settlers would have spare horses to lend out to passing travellers. Of course, a General could always commandeer military horses from other officers or dragoons if they were available.

      "A puzzle is never truly completed until the last piece is in its place."

      Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]

      On 28-Oct-05, at 2:00 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:

      > Do we know this for certain?
      > I heard that this now is a disputed point.
      >
      > Kevin
      > 89th

      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com