REPLY: [WarOf1812] Was Alfred at the Battle of Detroit?

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
      Jim, Larry, Murray;

      Thanks for the responses. I spent this morning in the archives as was recommended and found much detail but no Alfred (or any other horse) at Detroit with Brock. Presumably Brock travelled by (local) horse from Amherstburg to Sandwich. Sources have him crossing the Detroit river standing in a large canoe for the purpose of morale (a George Washington moment) and then marching to Fort Detroit.

      Since his officers and volunteer gentlemen were known to have breakfast at a local French-Canadian farm on the American side, it is possible that they could have hired (requisitioned) local horses for the coming battle. However, the vision of General Brock astride a plough horse just does not work for me.

      Perhaps all of this conjecture hinges upon whether, in the summer of 1812, Brock kept Alfred in York for his government and legislative duties or at his home in Niagara-on-the-Lake for his military duties. All we know for certain is that he had Alfred with him at the Battle of Queenston Heights.

      Well, back to the archives until I find a definitive answer.

      Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]

    • glifencible
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
        Have you checked "The Life and Correspondance of Major General Sir
        Isaac Brock"? If not, I'll check and will see what I can find.

        Regards
        Bill
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
          Do we know this for certain?
          I heard that this now is a disputed point.

          Kevin
          89th

          All we know for certain is that he had Alfred with him at the Battle of
          Queenston Heights.
        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
            Perhaps he rode Concord! Or Patsy!!

            Lets see who figures out those references....

            Craig
            On 28-Oct-05, at 2:00 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:

            > Do we know this for certain?
            > I heard that this now is a disputed point.
            >
            > Kevin
            > 89th

          • glifencible
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
              Monty Python's "Quest for the Holy Grail".

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
                SHH! It's only a model!

                On 28-Oct-05, at 2:51 PM, glifencible wrote:

                > Monty Python's "Quest for the Holy Grail".
                >
                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@s...>
                > wrote:
                >

                >> Perhaps he rode Concord! Or Patsy!!
                >>
                >> Lets see who figures out those references....
                >>
                >> Craig
                >> On 28-Oct-05, at 2:00 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:
                >>

                >>> Do we know this for certain?
                >>> I heard that this now is a disputed point.
                >>>
                >>> Kevin
                >>> 89th

              • PEGGY MATHEWS
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
                  Actually Bill, I think that Patsy is the name of the lacky played by Terry Gilliam rather than Arthur's horse. Could be wrong of course, but when he says "Come Patsy!" and rides off, Terry's character kind of rolls his eyes and starts up the coconuts. On the other hand, it could all be a clever disguise and the human shape really conceals a horse in man's costume.

                  As for Concord, that of course is the mount of the infamous highwayman, Dennis Moore. "Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore, on his horse Concord. He steals from rich, and gives to the poor... extraor....... dinary."

                  Michael (not Ellis) Mathews

                  "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it --
                  but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver
                  Wendell Holmes
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
                    Patsy= Sir Lancelots' horse (aka Terry Gilliam)
                    Concord= Dennis Moores' horse or Arthurs horse (Eric Idle)
                    Lupins= flowers found on the Lupin Express

                    Sorry this has become silly and I'll stop now.