Re: Was Alfred at the Battle of Detroit?

  • mccombs98
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2005
      Extract from John Norton's Journal:
      http://clarke.cmich.edu/detroit/norton1812.htm

      Norton states that General Brock RODE in front of his troops once
      landed on the Detroit side. No mention of Alfred though.
      They launched their assault against McComb's enclosure (warehouse)
      first.
      Murray

      From: Jim Yaworsky <yawors1@u...>

      > "I have been searching for primary sources regarding General Brock's
      > journey to Detroit ... authors have stated in their books (secondary
      > sources) that Brock was riding ... Alfred, at the Battle of Detroit.
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2005
        Checked it out and found nothing.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2005
          In a message dated 10/28/05 10:28:19 AM, lalozon@... writes:

          >       The Crossing and attack on Fort Detroit (Cadillac Square in Modern
          > City of Detroit) would have not really needed horses but Officers being
          > Officers, they may have been on horse back ......

          Actualy horses are essential for the correct movement of troops, It gives
          field officers a better view of the regiment and allows trhem to move about the
          fiels quicker. In allonting horses to the army the first pick (the best horses)
          went to to the Staff and infantry field offices, next to the artillery and
          the cavalry last, which is why at New Orleans the 14th LD were on foot. BTW
          crossing a river with a horse need not be dificult because they can SWIM! Merely
          have holders in the boat hold lunge lines attached to the head collars and they
          can swim along side the boat.

          Timothy Pickles