Reproduction Muskets

  • JOHN GREIG
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hello All,

      As the Guv'nor, Peter C, has just said he wished he was at Mississinewa this weekend. I've also been Mississinewa Dreaming. Hope it ain't too cold!!!

      Back to the subject. With any reproduction you only gets what you's pays for.

      The standard of the Indian manufactured "India Pattern" 'Bess has improved over the last few years but there are still imperfections when compared with those manufactued by David Pedesoli in Italy. The latter are surely the Rolls Royce of reproduction muskets.

      The Indian manufactured muskets, in my experience have three main problems.
      1. Wood to metal fit.
      2. Softness of internal lock parts.
      3. Wood quality.

      I own both. The Indian India Pattern was used for a season before problems arose. I have owned the Pedesoli for nearly twenty years using it for target shooting along with an 1858 Parker Hale Enfield.

      With my Long Land Pattern Pedesoli the wood to metal fit is superb. No internal fouling of the lock after firing. My Indian is filthy after one or two shots. I closely observed the firing of a fellow Privates Indian musket and saw something I had never seen before. The sparks from the frizzen ignited the priming in the pan and the musket discharged. A millisecond later a small flame was seen to come out from behind the lock plate. Unburned powder is getting into the lock.

      The internal parts need attention to retain a safe half cock.

      The finish of the wood was OK at the start but after a seasons use it certainly looked tired.
      I wish I had not stripped it down as I found a few bits of plastic wood filler in the thicker part of the stock.

      The problem is that Pedersoli do not make an India Pattern. If they did I certainly would pay the extra for the quality.

      My excuse for using a Long Land Pattern is that it was the one I had at Sarratoga when I was a mere lad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my musket.

      Well thats my two penny worth.

      Best wishes to you all,

      Squire.

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
        In a message dated 10/7/05 3:41:11 PM, je.greig@... writes:

        > As the Guv'nor, Peter C, has just said he wished he was at Mississinewa this
        > weekend. I've also been Mississinewa Dreaming.  Hope it ain't too cold!!!

        Squire John,

        I have just returned from the field where the arms of His Majesty were
        victorious this day! Though the Friday show is always a little light in numbers
        todays was one of the best (if not the best) ever. Three guns pwe side and though
        we had only 7 redcoat muskets the rifles, militia and of course our native
        allies combiled to give brother Jonathan a drubbing!

        Steve Abolt was commanding the US troops and he did a masterfull job of
        running his part of the scenario, we had a gear battle with lots of movement,
        action, smoke and excitement. We are still waiting for the corps of drums to arive
        though thr majoroty of the Ropyal Scots had arrived by the tome I left. Thje
        weather is perfect, highs in the mid 40s (F) cool, sunny, slight breeze, no
        rain. Perfect re-enacting weather.

        As to the Besses, the problem of poder getting into the lock can be very
        serious, I was standing close to Chris Durkin of the 21me when he discovered how
        serious.

        That said this problem is not universal with the muskets and MH have got good
        quality control in place.

        Squire, Peter and all, we wish you were here with us too.

        Timothy Pickles