Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Brown Bess question

  • PETER CATLEY
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
      I wish I was at Mississinewa!!

      I'll leave it to my good friend the Squire of
      Titchmarsh to comment he knows a great deal more about
      the subject that I.

      However I would say that in the UK many of our guys
      are very happy with their Indian manufactured muskets,
      I would be the first to recognise however that you get
      what you pay for. The Indian manufactured musket
      retails here for about $500 (US) and $600 (CDN) which
      is hwell under half the price of the Italian
      manufactured Pedersolis, which incidently are popular.
      Until quite recently only the Bess was available but
      the range has been broadened and now we are able to
      get Charlevilles and carbines. The quality of the
      Indian guns has and is improving, they certainly look
      better than they did ten years ago.

      You will be aware that the attitude to Guns here is
      totally different, I sense that in North America the
      relationship is quite different and appears to be much
      more personal. you are also allowed to use your
      muskets in a much wider sphere of activities.

      Cheers now.

      P**

      --- ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      List:
      Perhaps one thing that should be borne in mind in this
      discussion is
      that the India Pattern Bess, made in India, is the
      musket of choice for
      many British Napoleonic Redcoat units.

      Within those units there is a vast amount of
      experience with this
      weapon. Maybe some advice can be given by them.

      Just a thought
      Ray Hobbs
      41st

      (Owner of a Pedersoli and a DG musket - I enjoy both).

      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the
      fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America,
      hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
      miles...

      ---------------------------------
      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Listing
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Terms of Service.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2005
        In a message dated 7/10/2005 13:17:24, peter.catley@... writes:
        > I wish I was at Mississinewa!!

        As do I!

        At least I got to see you in Belgium!
        ;-)

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        93rdhighlanders.com
        THE Thin Red Line

      • J.Bruce Whittaker
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23, 2006
          Greetings List,
          I am looking for sling swivels for a Japanese made Brown Bess. I can
          find swivels for the Pedersolli available from Dixie but will they fit
          the Japanese Bess? I can't see that they wouldn't but I thought I
          would ask as it is better to be safe than sorry. Any feedback, as
          always, will be greatly appreciated.
          Best regards,
          Bruce Whittaker
        • Susan Spencer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 24, 2006
            Hi, Bruce -- I have both rectangular and tapered sling swivels in stock
            that I believe will fit. Will you be at Niagara this weekend (or Fort
            Malden or Fort Erie after that?)? You could bring your Bess by to try
            out the sizing to be sure of a good fit.

            Cheers,
            -- Sioux
            Spencer's Mercantile