Re: [WarOf1812] sword

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
      I agree with Mr. Hobbs on almost all points here except the 1796
      light Cav. part . Although it could very likely be a Brit pattern, I
      think it also possible that it could be a US sabre manufactured by
      STAR who were as spotty at marking their swords as some of the Brit
      contractors.
      The reason I say this, is that the blade doesn't seem wide enough for
      a 1796 pattern. It would be a big help to have the measurements and
      weight.
      Also, the guard has a less "decisive" appearance to the "D" than what
      one normally sees in the 1796.
      There is one other possibility, and that is a light company officers
      sword. Again, size and weight have a great deal to do with
      identifying this type.

      Craig Williams